• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enterprise 11-26-04

John Crichton

First Post
Yup, more solid stuff from Enterprise. Good to see Trip in command of the ship. I always like it when they let him spread his wings as a leader and decision maker.

As someone above mentioned, the head of the Vulcan government is a little over the top for my liking and too easy to hate. I like my villains a little more subtle, not that Trek has been famous for that. Aside from his accomplishments, I really can't see why the rest of the government is listening to him. They are obviously all in on it but it would seem that the one guy is not and is in some position of authority. All in all, I can still buy it but I do wish that the head was played a with a little more intelligence (befitting the leader of a very old culture who may or may not be going mad) and with less of a "snear."

Par for the course for the rest of the regulars. Generally, a good job by all with their roles. Brought back memories of Sisko having his waking dreams on Bajor. I never liked those eps but they kept it fairly low key and didn't beat us over the head with it. The artefact was a little too easy to find and I wonder why the katra didn't allow it's previous Vulcan "host" find it much earlier. It was explained, and I got it but I'm not sure I like the reasoning. It was done well so I'm giving it a shot for next week. Just made me think a little, which is a good thing.

Next week things should get blowed up real good. My favorite kind of Trek. :)

BrooklynKnight

First Post
LrdApoc said:
... honestly he doesn't act Vulcan at all.. and seems far more Human or Romulan..
Well, have you considered the fact that it might be intentional?

What if he IS a Romulan? What if thats why Vulcans have strayed from the teachings of Surok to begin with. The way he's acting, it feels and looks very much as if he's a Romulan leader and not a Vulcan one. "Eliminating the threat", not wanting witnesses, planting evidence...

These are all things Romulans, not Vulcans would do.

And there are two high council members who dont agree with his tactics. However, they seem more logical and "refrained". They would step back and allow him to act simply because Vulcans tend to step back and just watch pretty often.

On another note, I'm starting to think T'pol is half human. Especially with her mother claiming that she's always had trouble with her emotions (Spock anyone?) and her defense of humans with the Cyrran leader.

I really wish Trip would have played the "If you attack us it will be an Act of War" card. Something like that might have inspired the other Vulcans on the command to say something more then simply mentioning a 100 year partnership.

Onto the Artifact. It makes sense that Surok's Katra would reveal the location through Archer and not through another Vulcan. He understands that something revolutionary has to occur, and Vulcans simply arent revolutionary. Neither are Cyrrans. They are pacifists. Humans have always been the Vulcans other half...(kinda like a replacement for the Romulans). The Vulcans are kept on their toes and in touch with their "emotional" sides by the humans. Something that is required for action to occur. If i remember correctly, in Trek lore, its not that Vulcans dont feel emotion, its that they supress it. They are still in touch with their feelings and emotions. They just dont allow those things to guide their actions.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
BROOKLYNKNIGHT said:
On another note, I'm starting to think T'pol is half human. Especially with her mother claiming that she's always had trouble with her emotions (Spock anyone?) and her defense of humans with the Cyrran leader.
Sorry BK, she is full Vulcan....butttt...there is a possibility that some of her grandmother essence might be in her...just a theory. And on top of that, she has been a very different Vulcan from the get. T'Pol is protective, cause as said by the former Vulcan ambassdor, has grown a affinity towards the humans...and has heard by the former Admiral, Humans remind Vulcans of themselves. GODS!! this is confusing :D.

Although, judging from before, T'Les has stated she was married, and it looks a her husband did pass away, the question remains...what race was he?

And for T'Les....NOOOOOooooooooooo!!! :(

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
Although, judging from before, T'Les has stated she was married, and it looks a her husband did pass away, the question remains...what race was he?
Exactly, T'pols father might have been Human. Even if its been stated before that he wasnt, It would make more sense that T'pol didnt know the truth. Startrek has been "revised" before, sometimes for ill and sometimes not.

I wouldnt be suprised to find her half human, especially since rumors are that Coto is trying to get a Kirk, Spock, Bones dynamic out of Archer, Tucker, T'pol.

John Crichton

First Post
T'pol being half-human would be stupid. I can take homages, nods and such but a blatant Spock rip is something that I wouldn't stand for. I also happen to think that they are not going that way. Yeah, she could be but I would be shocked if they pushed that button not to mention terribly dissappointed.

Additionally, her father and Trip have similar builds as he wore her father's Vulcan garb at her wedding. So, unless there was some kind of affair or some tinkering of the background the half-human theory is bunk. Also, her being half-human would dilute her storyline, to me. Makes all the things that happened to her and the things that she has done all too convienient. "Oh, she's half-human. That explains it." Bleh and bleh. It's much more interesting to have a Vulcan do things out of character that make her unique. Spock's heritage was always more of an in-joke and a point of reverse-pride than an excuse. I would hate to see the reverse happen.

In short, I don't think she's half-human. Not one bit.

And for the record, the Vulcan leader being a Romulan is hairbrained at best. That's obviously not the direction they are going in. They are going for the corrupt government angle, not the alien spy angle. C'mon people, it's not like they are making this hard to follow...

John Crichton

First Post
Mark said:
I think Dawson is one of the best things to come out of Voyager (especially as a director ;) ) and she's done some great work directing other, well-received Enterprise episodes. I look forward to seeing more of her work.
She is a capable director for sure. Actually, the overall direction for this season has been very good. Not that the direction in the past has been weak but it is something I pay close attention to. Oddly enough, for Trek, the writing is the most important element of the show followed by the writing. This is common for most TV shows but direction is becoming more important especially with all the CGI and action that can be done now.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
John Crichton said:
T'pol being half-human would be stupid. I can take homages, nods and such but a blatant Spock rip is something that I wouldn't stand for. I also happen to think that they are not going that way. Yeah, she could be but I would be shocked if they pushed that button not to mention terribly dissappointed.

Additionally, her father and Trip have similar builds as he wore her father's Vulcan garb at her wedding. So, unless there was some kind of affair or some tinkering of the background the half-human theory is bunk. Also, her being half-human would dilute her storyline, to me. Makes all the things that happened to her and the things that she has done all too convienient. "Oh, she's half-human. That explains it." Bleh and bleh. It's much more interesting to have a Vulcan do things out of character that make her unique. Spock's heritage was always more of an in-joke and a point of reverse-pride than an excuse. I would hate to see the reverse happen.

In short, I don't think she's half-human. Not one bit.

And for the record, the Vulcan leader being a Romulan is hairbrained at best. That's obviously not the direction they are going in. They are going for the corrupt government angle, not the alien spy angle. C'mon people, it's not like they are making this hard to follow...
Yeah...mercy, a mad craze empowered official is a common occurence in any time period :D .

Tom Cashel

First Post
John Crichton said:
Aside from his accomplishments, I really can't see why the rest of the government is listening to him.

Seems to me that Trek is getting back to the other thing they always did so well...commenting obliquely on current events. The Vulcan leader is manufacturing a situation by which his world will follow him into an unjust war, crushing pacifist dissent in the name of unity, and making certain there are no witnesses. cough, cough

They are obviously all in on it but it would seem that the one guy is not and is in some position of authority.

cough Colin Powell.

All in all, I can still buy it but I do wish that the head was played a with a little more intelligence.

But the utter lack of intelligence paired with mean-spirited singlemindedness is a better comment on current events. ;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads