• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Epic 20] Diablos Ex Machina

Eidalac

Explorer
Mmr. Pain hurts.

Anyways...

Skill Tricks:
Hrm. They could work, but I'd have to do something about the cost, since a single skill point in this system is worth a good deal more than in core (up to 5 points), and RAW skill tricks cost 2 points.

Easiest way would be to give you 2 skill tricks per skill point you spend. I'll have to try and look over CS this evening to see if that feels right.

Bloodseeker:
I'll have to say no. I like the idea, but it's just a bit unwieldy and there were too many times I had to pause and triple read a section to figure out the intent of the author.

I could probably make it work to my satisfaction, but I've got enough tweaking to juggle with this game already.

Half-Fey:
Not familiar with that template, where's it from?

Depending on the template's abilities, you'd loose some of the goblin racial abilities to pay for the LA.

On the topic of LA...

I'm pondering just dropping the way I'm doing it and just using RAW, just for the sake of balance (such as it is at 20th level).

Still, in all fairness, I've had a bout of neck pain and headaches IRL the last few days, which is somewhat detracting from my ability to review the LA vs Racial Bonuses thing, so I may change my mind again once I get a good look-over on it all.

So, that's just a heads up to you LA folk to have a backup build in mind in case I do bring LA back in.

Oh, and on the Soul Eater:
I'm not liking the idea of him being able to deal a potential 10 negative levels per round. So, what would you all think if the Energy Drain attack was limited to a full round action (for the single attack)?

Still a nasty ability, but not as over done.

Alternatively, I could take a page from the Vampire, and just say it's limited to 1 Energy Drain per round, which would still let him make use of a full attack action, just that only the first hit in a round would give the negatives.

Dread Necromancer:
That should be fine. I like the idea of the Ur-Priest, but it has always been a bit over the top in terms of the raw caster levels it gives.

Avalon®

First Post
Eidalac, would you accept a Beguiler 1/ Wizard 3/ Spellthief 1/ Mindbender 1/ Ultimate Magus 10/ Unseen Seer 4?

Last edited:

farmboymdp

First Post
Eidalac said:
So, that's just a heads up to you LA folk to have a backup build in mind in case I do bring LA back in.

Oh, and on the Soul Eater:
I'm not liking the idea of him being able to deal a potential 10 negative levels per round. So, what would you all think if the Energy Drain attack was limited to a full round action (for the single attack)?

Still a nasty ability, but not as over done.

Alternatively, I could take a page from the Vampire, and just say it's limited to 1 Energy Drain per round, which would still let him make use of a full attack action, just that only the first hit in a round would give the negatives.
Eidalac, I'll save you the trouble, I'll just scrap the character. I wasn't too attached to it anyways, I just saw the Soul Eater and the idea jumped to mind. I certainly don't want to aggravate any real-life problems, I know several friends who get migraines on a daily basis :).

The only thing I do take issue with is a redunkulously-overpowered shapeshifter somehow being outraged at my build :D.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
okay my magic items list :
106 Mithril Breastplate, called, Heavy Fort +5 (15lbs)
25 Vest resistance +5
72 Rapier of puncturing +3
0.4 4 vials bless weapon oil
75 Rod of Quickening
32 Rod of Reach
37 mithril buckler +5, deathward
110 Book of wisdom +4
50 Ring of Pro +5
40 Ring of Freedom of movement
64 Belt of Animal Power +4(str,dex & con)
36 Peripat of wisdom +6
36 Cloak of Charisma +6
3 Heward's handy Haversack
6.6 scroll Healx4
28 Scroll Tru Rez
10 Diamonds: 10k
4.5 circlet of persuasion
33 backup stash of magic items(+4wis,+2chr, +2 mithril shirt, 5kcash)
773.5k Total

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm

If LA less than 5 is really being handwaved, can I be a half-fiend warforged?

That'd be LA+4...

Oh wait, that has to be put on living creatures.

Blast. Anyone know of a good construct-friendly template for LA 5 or under? :)

Last edited:

ethandrew

First Post
Eidalac said:
Dread Necromancer:
That should be fine. I like the idea of the Ur-Priest, but it has always been a bit over the top in terms of the raw caster levels it gives.

I liked the Ur-Priest too, but I felt it was just too powerful. I was having 9th level Divine spells and 8th level Arcane plus 30+ Will Save. Just too much. Dread Necromancer would give me a good evil Lich with some good spell punch, not too off the wall.

Ryfte

First Post
Shayuri said:
Hmm

If LA less than 5 is really being handwaved, can I be a half-fiend warforged?

That'd be LA+4...

Oh wait, that has to be put on living creatures.

Blast. Anyone know of a good construct-friendly template for LA 5 or under? :)

Isn't a "living construct" a living creature? The term creature is broad enough to include a construct... isn't it?

Eidalac

Explorer
Ok, lets do this:

[D]-[/D]
Level Adjustment:
While I still like the idea of non-la in theory, it's just becoming to hard to do at these level.

So, instead, all LA 0 races will get the full 5 abilities (keeping that stat boosts at +1). As LA goes up, you get less abilities, as follows:

Code:
RAW LA	NEW LA	Racial Bonuses
0	0	5
1	0	3
2	0	1
3	1	0
4	2	0
5	3	0

New LA + Racial HD can not be more than 6.

Sound good?

[D]-[/D]
Fiendish Warforged?
One of the original DeM characters was a fiendish warforged, so I'm not going to have issue with a half fiendish one. The only meaningful consideration you have to take is that the character was made by a fiend or with fiendish mechanics rather than being born of a fiendish tryst.

[D]-[/D]
OnlytheStrong
Sorry to hear that.:(

[D]-[/D]
farmboymdp
No need to scrap the idea, simply limiting the energy drain power to once/round is enough to fix the class for my needs. Since all the negative level creatures I've looked up that have multiple attacks seem to have 1/round limitations, I'd be willing to bet that was the original intent of the class anyway.

[D]-[/D]
Avalon®
Beguiler 1/ Wizard 3/ Spellthief 1/ Mindbender 1/ Ultimate Magus 10/ Unseen Seer 4?

Ain't nothing wrong with that.

[D]-[/D]

Skill Tricks
Okies, in this skill system, 1 skill point can be spent to gain 2 skill tricks.

[D]-[/D]

I think that should cover everything save me actually looking over character sheets. :p

(famous last words, I know. ;))

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Alright, I think I got all my most common forms up there (mostly I'll be taking other forms if I need to quickly pick up, say, immunity to death effect, or fire resistance or something). I've got: Primary Combat Form (Force Dragon), Grappling Combat Form (Astral Kraken), Ability Damage and Fast Healing Form (12-headed Hydra), and finally the various living spells if I want to nuke something.

Remove ads