Eternals (Spoilers)

Stalker0

Legend
yeah its pretty much agreed that Celestials are villains, however notions of good and evil are rather meaningless to them - they think of humans as lifestock not people.

but yeah now knowing that the energy from the Tonga eruption was felt from NZ to Japan and Alaska, it does seem that the emergence of Tiamut should have been far more devestating
Assuming the celestials were telling the truth, life is dependent on their existence. Just as humans must consume other life to survive, the celestials must consume life, and in doing so, allows new life to come into being.

it is the circle of life, not good or evil…but ultimately necessary.

Zardnaar

Legend
Just watched it on Disney+ as the price was right.

Better than anticipated. Some moral pondering about the circle of life. Kinda agree with the baddies though one planets fate is irrelevant on a galactic scale. Had a few plot holes and Tiamat was to small.

MarkB

Legend
Ultimately, Tiamut's size is a necessary compromise. It was as large as it could be without (a) losing any sense of scale from the characters' perspectives, and (b) much of the world having to already be devastated by the time any of it emerged into view.

The alternative is something like the ludicrousness of the second Independence Day movie, where the whole planet should be uninhabitable by the time the alien mega-ship settles into place.

Bolares

Hero
The critics are the best promotional tool for this movie at this point. Saw it on disney+ with very low expectations, and liked it enough

Staffan

Legend
To be fair, he hadn't yet got round to eating the entire world's population. That's got to pack on some pounds.
I didn't figure that the Baby Celestial would literally eat the planet's population. More that:

1. They need ambient sapient life to grow, and
  2. When the chicken hatches, it's not a good time for things living on the egg shell.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It was an enjoyable movie.

But it also had no real reason to be there, and no-one going forward is likely to complain if there are no sequels. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that one of the Marvel big-wigs had an obsession with getting these folk to screen hell or high water. But he was the only one, so there was no consensus to enable a build-up, like Avengers had.
You think it's a one-off that doesn't tie into anything? I would take the other side of that bet - I think it's one of the first movies of Phase 4 for a reason. I think it was likely more important as set-up than for the movie itself.

MarkB

Legend
You think it's a one-off that doesn't tie into anything? I would take the other side of that bet - I think it's one of the first movies of Phase 4 for a reason. I think it was likely more important as set-up than for the movie itself.
What does it set up, though? It brings in the Celestials, but they seem to be very much something the Eternals would tackle in a sequel, not something that would spill over into other parts of the franchise. Thanos's prettier, more annoying brother? They could've crowbarred him into the mid-credits scene of any of half-a-dozen other movies. Circe's boyfriend and the Sword in the Box? Likewise.

bennet

Explorer
I think it was a tie in, but realizing how eternally boring the characters are, how crap their origin story is, how disappointing a CGI celestial is for a villain... they will scrap eternals. Oh and Thanos brother looks like a idiot character, someone from Thors second movie.

Richards

Legend
The fact that Pip the Troll was accompanying Starfox leads me to believe if anything that was a tie-in to Guardians of the Galaxy 3, given that Pip hung around with Adam Warlock in the comics and that Adam will be featured in GotG3.

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
there were 8 Guardians characters (including Yondu and Nebula) as opposed to 9 Eternals (10 with Dane Whitman snow, but I discounting him as just a cameo:p). It would be interesting to know what the sweet spot is for balancing multiple characters well within a single movie.
As a counterpoint, that wasn't the character introduction rate.

Yondu was a side character in GG1, It was really just 5 - Starlord, Rocket, Groot, Drax and Gamora. So the second one introduced more.

Remove ads