• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exalted Deeds Versus Vile Darkness, the Final Confrontation!

Wrahn

First Post
I am assuming that the effect duplicates the effect of the lesser globe of invulnerability. If so, I don't think spells already in effect are suppressed by the globe. (The relevent text can be found here.)

Though there is some vagueness in the actual text, I can see Lichtenhart's interpretation, I do think that the line about not effecting spells previously cast is a dead give away. I do think, however, if Gwyn does not get far enough away to cast his spell then he is in trouble.

If Lyssia is visible, when she moves up, she will provoke an attack of opportunity from Aekir. (Moving without taking the Withdraw or 5ft step)

Lichtenhart

First Post
Well, Wrahn, you're correct if you use the 3.5e version of the spell. That line isn't there in the 3.0 version though. Instead there is this example:
Note that spell effects are not disrupted unless their effects enter the globe, and even then they are merely suppressed, not dispelled. For example, creatures inside the globe would still see a mirror image created by a caster outside the globe. If that caster then entered the globe, the images would wink out, to reappear when the caster exited the globe. Likewise, a caster standing in the area of a light spell would still receive sufficient light for vision, even though that part of the light spell volume in the globe would not be luminous.
I supposed that invisibility and the likes were suppressed as the mirror images in this example, but I'll gladly accept Isida's ruling either way.

doghead

thotd
ooc: I have been singularly unsuccessful in opening the 3.0 spell decription rtf files. I have a fairly old computer and everything I have thrown at them baulks. I can open the spell list rtf files, so I believe that Sylinda's available spells list is now 3.0.

Unable to find an online 3.0SRD, I have fallen back on working off the 3.5 spell descriptions which, as the posts above show, do differ in some ways from the 3.0 ones. So Isida, please adjust any post as you see fit and necessary.

Apologies for any inconvinience.

the head of the dog

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Torr will use his partial action from Haste to get around the screen and take in the scene. He will then Pounce attack the nearest do-gooder (choosing an unarmored if multiple choices are available).

The Pounce attack is +20/+20/+15/+18/+18 (2d6+14* - 2 claws; 3d6+6* - bite; 2d6+8* - 2 rake claws).

*- 1 pt Vile damage.

All attacks will also be free grapple attempts (Imp Grapple). If the target is flanked, there is an additional 1d6 sneak attack damage. Don't recall off-hand if a grappled foe is subject to sneak attack.

doghead

thotd
Sylinda of the forest

Sylinda leans against the wall for she closes her eyes for a moment. She allows the holy radiance within her to blaze forth. She sighs softly as she feels herself being wrapped in the nimbus of light {1}. She opens her eyes. From her postion beside the door, Sylinda glances into the room. Appart from the vile knight, the room is fairly empty as far as Sylinda can see. With her senses she reaches out seeking the fetid presence of undead {2}. It all looks fairly well contained at the moment. But thats not counting whatever lies behind the screen.

ooc: {1} Holy Radiance - undead take 1d4 points of damage when within the light (10 feet). {2} Nemesis (Undead) - discern the location of undead up to 60 feet away.

If things remain a little congested at the door, Sylinda will cast a barkskin on herself. If Aekir reveals himself, Sylinda will move to support whoever he attacks.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Ssessarina continues her pained screams, occasionally breaking into heartbreaking whimpers of a woman pushed past endurance and sanity. Through the carved screen, however, she takes in the holy radiance of Saint Norin with a cold, cruel gaze.*

*Lyssia lashes out with her heaven-sent rays of light, burning more infernal life from Gwyn's unholy flesh. As she does so, Aekir lunges upward, striking her with his bony claws, wrenching away part of her scantified soul. Nessa calls down purifed fire in the room. Ghost, Ssessarina, Torr, and Ralam manage to throw themselves clear, but Aekir takes the full brunt of it. Gwyn, unfortunetly, find his demonic flesh turning against him as the holy flames burn him to the bone. The world goes black, then red, then all fades away into gray.*

Gwyn:
As Gwyn finds himself floating in gray blankness, he hears a harsh, vile whisper. "Do you choose to rise again and fight mine enemies and yours? Do you with the power for revenge?"

*Torr the tiger lunges around the screen and claws and bites at Norin with inspired ferocity. However, the more he attempts to rend his flesh, the brighter the holy light around him glows. Not a hair on the Saint's head is disturbed by Torr's assault. The black-armored paladin sidesteps in the door and charges past Staeven and Norin, slashing his sword hard across Torr's shoulder. Torr slashes across the knight's greaves for his trouble. Staeven joins him a second later, though his demonbane sword is not nearly so potent against lycanthrope flesh.*

*Ralam continues to focus his gaze on Lyssia's weak spots in preparation for her death. Darren turns to see the two paladins fighting a tiger. Turning to flank with them

*Aekir attacks Lyssia visciously, springing off the wall unseen, and sticking to the ceiling, raking her with his claws. More and more of her soul is ripped away as he shreads her flesh. Ghost continues his unseen, inscrutible stare. Norin steps up smoothly to deal with Torr, but cannot strike hard enough to lay a finger on the wily weretiger. Sylinda protects herself with the trees of the forest, and moves to help Lyssia in her hour of need, seeing her scream from being attacked by some invisible force.*

Gh~~~~~~~~~
~s~~S~~~s~
~sssssssssss~
~~No,T,D~~~~
~~~Se,S~R~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~
~~[G],Sy~L~A~~
------d--------
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~N~~~~~

[OOC -
Initiative:
Ssessarina - 26
Lyssia - 25 [L]
Nessa - 24 [N]
Gwyn - 23 [G] (shaken, and currently deceased at -17hp)
Torr - 22 [T] (shaken)
Sebastion - 21[Se]
Staeven - 20
Ralam - 18 [R]
Darren - 15 [D]
Aekir - 12 [A]
Ghost - 11 [Gh]
Norin - 10 [No]
Sylinda - 9 [Sy]

s - screen
d - doorway
---- - wall
~ - 5'

Italics mean that someone is invisible, hidden, or otherwise concealed. Please do not make use of this information if you don't know it otherwise. :)

Ssessarina screams and continues observations for a death attack on Staeven. Lyssia seers Gwyn for 18 points of damage. Aekir takes his AoO, hitting a 31 for 16 points of damage, an additional Vile, and one negative level. Nessa drops a purified fireball in the room, dealing 20 points of damage to Gwyn (beat his SR, original 60 points of damage due to him being an evil outsider, made his reflex save for half, took off 10 for fire resistance, leaving him at -18 hit points. Sorry Paxus, Gwyn just died. :(). Torr takes none due to evasion and a 28 Ref save, Ralam makes a 26 Ref save and with evasion takes no damage, same for Ssessarina and Ghost, Aekir fails his save with a 28 and takes 42 points of damage (leaving him at 77).

Gwyn lies there and is crisped for the moment. Torr steps around the screen and does full pounce attack on Norin, missing every single attack (I swear! The highest was a 32, and you need a 36 to hit him). Sebastion sidesteps and charges. Torr takes an AoO, dealing 18 points of damage to him. Sebastion smites for 21 points of damge (DR taken into account). Staeven charges Torr, no AoO due to Sebastion. Staeven hits, dealing 9 points of damage (DR taken into account). Ralam continues to examine for his death attack, needs one more round.

Darren moves to Torr and attacks, hitting a 26 for 22 points of damage (DR taken into account). Torr is now at 24 hp. Aekir 5' steps and goes to town on Lyssia, hitting 4 times for 55 points of damage, an additional 4 points of Vile damage, and 4 more negative levels. Ghost continues to stare at Saint Norin. Norin steps up to attack Torr, but misses. Sylinda casts barkskin and moves to help Lyssia.]

Last edited:

A question
let's see.. that puts me at what? 3rd level and like 41 hp left? I can see my concept sucked. Question: did Lyssia Circle of Protection do anything to make it harder for her to be hit?

Last edited:

Wrahn

First Post
Well, before I figure out what I am going to do, I need a few issues cleared up. As I understand the rules and the situation:

First, I am not sure how Darren saw me, I was using the dust of disappearance which is VERY difficult to see through (see invisiblity does not see through it) and acts a greater invisibility so he does not turn visible after attacking.

Second, invisibility makes you immune to sneak attack unless they can see through it. Even pinpointing their location with non visual means or a really high spot check does not remove this protection.

Third, if you did not remember I was invisible, did you remember to remove Lyssia's dex bonus and give Aekir a +2 to attack?

Four, did you give Aekir the benefit of the 50% miss chance. That applies to someone who can only pinpoint an invisible creature location using spot or non-visual means. For that matter, if Lyssia was invisible, there is a spot check to see her (which I believe is DC 20 listen check if she is not moving silently or is she is, the DC to pin point the location is her move silently check +20( move silently + d20 + 20)) even if Aekir made that check she would still benefit from 50% miss chance, until she attacked.

Fifth, every negetive energy attack Aekir deals he recieves 5 temporary hitpoints even if everything else stands he should be sitting at 67 hp.

Sixth, Taking a 5 foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. (Aekir made a 5 foot step up the wall, I am not sure where else he would provoke an attack of opportunity.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
[OOC - Sorry, I forgot about the greater invisibility on Aekir. In that case, and due to the 5' step, he doesn't get an AoO. I did factor in Lyssia's lower AC from your invisibility as well. Jaik, I'm going to have to have know what Darren would do with only one visible enemy in the form of a tiger. I'll go back and edit, once I know. Kain:
Yes, I did factor in the circle of protection, but Aekir rolled insanely high for his first four attacks. Sorry. :(
.]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads