• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Falchion & Finesse?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Personally, if someone asked for it I probably would. Although it would be the first (and only) two-handed Finesse weapon... the fact that it's only 2d4 in damage (and thus pretty much on par with the rapier) makes it seem okay from my point of view. I know I definitely would not allow it if they wanted to bump the damage to 1d10 though (both due to average damage and also odds of rolling high/max damage). Falchion with Two-Handed and Finesse properties doing 2d4 damage or nothing is what I'd say to them.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'm not a weapons expert, but I thought falchion was a big, heavy curved blade? It doesn't seem like the sort of weapon to be a finesse weapon.

the Jester

Legend
If you were importing the falchion to DnD 5E, would you give it the finesse property?

I can't think of a single reason why it would be a finesse weapon. I don't believe it ever has been before, it's a big two-handed blade, and... yeah, I got nothing. Is there some reason that you think it ought to be a finesse weapon?

No. I don't have any reason to think it would be a finesse weapon. But, I don't really have any reason to think that it wouldn't.

I was looking at the similarity in its PF stats with the scimitar. Stat-wise, it looks like a two-handed scimitar. And, since the scimitar is finesse in 5E, I thought the falchion might make an interesting two-handed finesse weapon.

It doesn't need finesse. And, I'm guessing that since it couldn't gain any benefit from Weapon Finesse in PF, then there's not really a reason to give it finesse in 5E.

But, I'm definitely putting the damage at 2d4.

Thank you.

jadrax

Adventurer
mmm.

Rapier 25 gp 1d8 piercing 2 lb. Finesse
Falchion 75 gp 2d4 slashing 4 lb. Finesse, heavy, two-handed

It doesn't look unbalanced on the face of it tbh.

GameDoc

Explorer
In D&D, the falchion has always been described as a two-handed scimitar, evocative of the weapon used by the Cairo Swordsman that Indy shoots in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I've always wondered if that ought to be a finesse weapon. It's design and balance makes up for its size.

Historically, IIRC, the falchion was a a heavy single edged sword used for chopping/slashing attacks, basically a large machete. It required less skill and training to use than a cruciform broadsword because in practice if was as much like wielding an axe (and I think it was a one handed weapon).

Last edited:

Henrix

Explorer
Falchion (or, in latin, falx) has, through the ages, been used to describe various weapons. The dacians (enemies of Rome) were known for their forward curving two-handed pole arm-like falchions.

And even mediaeval falchions came in bigger versions.

This weird two-handed sword was (probably) called falchion as well.
full29892574_b.jpg

No version of falchion I can recall seems finesseable. They seem to be rather crude chopping blades, possibly good for cutting through mail links.

[Edit]
Checking my 1e AD&D books close at hand I see 'Sword, Falchion' in Unearthed Arcana, clearly being a one-handed sword.
Wonder when did it become two-handed in D&D.

Last edited:

Remove ads