D&D (2024) Fighter (Playtest 7)

Stalker0

Legend
or even just make 0 assumptions about the number of encounters per day and make the game entirely encounter based.

...though if 4e is any indication, that'd make people very mad.
I actually think this is a 4e misnomer, that results in looking at the game on paper rather than play.

On paper, the fighter and the wizard have the same "stuff" in 4e, same encounters, same dailies.

In my play experience though, the fighter's enounter powers are stronger, and nothing is better than a wizard's daily. When a wizard used a daily, the combat held its breath.

So the wizard in my game had plenty of incentive to long rest, and definately felt weaker when they were out of dailies, versus the fighters that still had a lot of encounter juice going on.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
therefore my nothing. that the design team hasn't tested for what happens when the brawler fighter goes up against a demon says nothing about what my DM will throw at me.
Your brawler fighter will pick up a greatsword.

The core issue is that the designers are okay if your subclass stuff doesn't work every fight. Just that your base class stuff almost always does.

It is really clear that they aren't into very optimized games and promote players doing unoptimized shenanigans and DMs ruling them to be more powerful than they normally are. It's an overall old school but not that old mindset.

AKA "cheating for the fighter"

The core issue is that the designers are okay if your subclass stuff doesn't work every fight. Just that your base class stuff almost always does.
That's obviously not true.

Battlemaster and Champion stuff all 100% works every fight. Same for the vast majority of subclasses.

It's flatly wrong to make the claim you're making.

Also, it's particularly untrue for full casters, especially Wizards.

They did mention there will be Unarmed strike items that make punches magical in the new release. So the resistant to magical isn't an issue at some point just like for normal fighters
It absolutely is, though, because the Improvised weapons are where Brawlers get their main power, not Unarmed, and how exactly are improvised weapons going to get a +X to hit? The design is too stingy to even let them have a bonus action attack that does damage - it's pathetic - two-weapon or two-handed or PAM or other Fighters get bonus action attacks - not Brawlers.

Horwath

Legend
Your brawler fighter will pick up a greatsword.

It is really clear that they aren't into very optimized games and promote players doing unoptimized shenanigans and DMs ruling them to be more powerful than they normally are. It's an overall old school but not that old mindset.

AKA "cheating for the fighter"
that is the problem,
unarmed strike for a class that has martial weapons is on power level of an extra language. so next to useless in most situations.

you have options to get 19-20 crit with advantage on initiative and STR checks or a "bonus language"?
not really a choice...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
To be fair, I only think the level 3 ability isn't that great, as its just granting them an ability to try an keep up with a weaponed fighter (which it fails out because you can't use a shield). THe problem is there is nothing here that gives me something a weaponed fighter can't do. I don't get some unique weapon mastery, or do extra damage, or xyz. I am just getting what a weaponed fighter already gets, except now they actually get something with their subclass.

But the higher level bonuses look pretty solid..... though the other subclasses do get some sweet stuff. I mean the champion literally has advantage on a roll every round of combat...
Don't forget interactions with Fighting Style and the new Grappling rules...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That's obviously not true.

Battlemaster and Champion stuff all 100% works every fight. Same for the vast majority of subclasses.

It's flatly wrong to make the claim you're making.

Also, it's particularly untrue for full casters, especially Wizards.
I didn't say they only make all subclasses situational.

I said they are okay if you get into a fight and your subclass stuff straight up doesn't work. Because they are running at least 7 fights that day.

If a monster is immune to your subclass, they are okay with it. As long as your base class works. Because to them it's just one fight.

Horwath

Legend
I didn't say they only make all subclasses situational.

I said they are okay if you get into a fight and your subclass stuff straight up doesn't work. Because they are running at least 7 fights that day.

If a monster is immune to your subclass, they are okay with it. As long as your base class works. Because to them it's just one fight.
thing is, no one is running 7 fight sa day, or if they do they are meaningless.
and even if they do, in 6,9 out of 7, your class features as brawler means nothing as you have weapons that are better than your unarmed.

Remove ads