• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finding the best cartoon of all time

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Klaus said:
... but I have fond memories of the original series, its She-Ra spinoff and the "Secret of the Sword" feature film!

I spent years with fond memories of The Secret of the Sword.

And then, God help me, I watched it again.

Yikes.

Animaniacs is fantastic. Magical routines like The Nations of the World and Les Boutons et La Ballon and Video Review are unsurpassed. (And I'm a huge Slappy Squirrel fan :) )

I also thought His-teria! was brilliant.

Tiny Toons had its moments... The Anvil Chorus comes to mind.

In the 80s, nothing touched Mighty Orbots, in my opinion. But I was younger then :)

Does the Flight of Dragons animated film count?

-Hyp.

dreaded_beast

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Does the Flight of Dragons animated film count?

-Hyp.

Is that the one where the guy from our world goes and get transported into a fantasy world but inhabits the body of a dragon?

If so, it is based on a book called "The Dragon and the George". It is actually a series, but I only read up to the second book. The magic system is really amusing, where mages amass magical power known as "credit" manage by some otherwordly "office", if I remember correctly. Depending on the things you do, I guess you could call this "experience", you gained more "credit" and more power. It is also interesting seeing how the main character in the book tried to apply real world knowledge and science to the "fantasy" world.

Although in the book, he just "happened" to have a degree in medieval history. :p

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dreaded_beast said:
Is that the one where the guy from our world goes and get transported into a fantasy world but inhabits the body of a dragon?

Yes.

If so, it is based on a book called "The Dragon and the George". It is actually a series, but I only read up to the second book.

The plot is based on the first book (by Gordon R Dickson); the dragon-physics are based on The Flight of Dragons, by Peter Dickinson (not Dickenson, note :) ).

-Hyp.

dreaded_beast

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
The plot is based on the first book (by Gordon R Dickson); the dragon-physics are based on The Flight of Dragons, by Peter Dickinson (not Dickenson, note :) ).

-Hyp.

Ah! Now that is something I didn't know. What is the book "Flight of Dragons" about?

The Serge

First Post
Klaus said:
Hey, no dissin' Transformers: The Movie! It had some of the most memorable scenes in animated history (a... transformer... PLANET!!!!!!.... "Megatron must be stopped. At whatever cost." You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer! Yay!) :)
I'll admit I get chills when I think about how Prime pounded the tar outta Megatron. I get the same chills when I think of how he ran down a whole bunch of Decepticons with "You Got The Touch" playing in the background. And when Megatron blows up the mountain side with two blasts from his fusion cannon. And when Megatron, in Starscream's arms, says "Wait... I still function," to which Starscream replies, "Wanna bet?" Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant. BUT THEY KILLED EVERYONE THAT EVER MATTERED TO ME AS A CHILD! . Ironside, Prowl, Ratchet, Wheeljack, Cliffjumper... The list goes on and on.

And, I'm sorry... But you can't replace Prime, an 18 wheeler semi with A CUSTOM VAN! The new leader of the Autobots was a CUSTOM VAN!

Whew... I feel a little better now.

And well, the new cartoon had King Hiss, so Hordak couldn't be too far back... :)
But do they plan on renewing the show?

You know, the one episode I didn't see in its entirety is the one I wanted to see the most. The one that described the history of Greystone, the Elders, and the Sorceress. I wonder if they clarified if Skeletor was one of Hordak's chief apprentices back then (one of the cowled wizards).

I also think they were going to have Evil Lynn become this version of the show's Shadoweaver (was that the name of the floating woman that worked with Hordak, her face concealed but for the eyes under a hood?).

Klaus

First Post
One of the best buys I ever did was the Transformers soundtrack... Ah, to be young again...

I don't know if He-Man is coming back for another season. There's been a petition running at he-man.org , but I dunno the status.

Mattel has unveiled new action figures, so there might be some life left for the MotU...

Oh, and this site rocks: http://www.fourhorsemen.biz/

The artists that did the new looks for MotU!

Beowolf

Explorer
my all time favorite cartoons would have to be

inuyasha ( to clarify for some this was made in the 90,s but relesed in north america in the last 4 years)

(90s)ace venturea: pet detective (sp?) yes there was a cartoon
the tick
MiB the series

Angcuru

First Post
Lets see...

Loony Toons - "OOH! HAHA! GUARD! TURN! PARRY! DODGE! SPIN! HAHA! THRUST!" *twannnnng*

Lupin the 3rd - old-school hilarity

Transformers Pre+Including the Movie. - Went VERY downhill afterwards.

Animaniacs - will always be a good one.

Inuyasha - slightly repetitive, but awesome nonetheless.

Ranma 1/2 - Feel the fury that is Cat-Fu!

Ruroni Kenshin - Yay!

Rocky & Bullwinkle - Boris Badenov & Snidely Whiplash are the best incompetent-villain names ever!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads