• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fixing Eldritch Blast

neogod22

Explorer
Cantrips are supposed to be weak by design. They are designed to be used as 1. A last resort when the caster runs out of spell slots or, 2. when you're fighting creatures that aren't worth wasting spell slots on.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thurmas

Explorer
As a counter to the 1d12 argument for a cantrip, you have to realize that the spell creation rules were written with creating spells in mind, not cantrips. Every spell has something a cantrip doesn't have, a resource cost in terms of a spell slot. That's going to neccesitate scaling the damage down to at least the 1d10 that you currently get. Plus, cantrips are unique in that they scale by level automatically. No need to spend a higher level spot. A tier 3 caster is more than likely better off casting a cantrip for damage then using a level 1 spell slot.

Also, there is no reason a cantrip should do half damage on a miss. Fighters don't do half damage on a miss with a sword. You'd effectively be doing autodamage with no resource cost.

Cantrips are supposed to be weak by design. They are designed to be used as 1. A last resort when the caster runs out of spell slots or, 2. when you're fighting creatures that aren't worth wasting spell slots on.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Nothing compels a caster to take an offensive cantrip.

Cantrips per se are also a way to emphasize that a character is indeed a caster. Back when a 1st level caster got 1 spell per day it was hard to give them the flavor of being a magic practitioner without them squandering their meager number of spells. Cantrips allowed a wizard to demonstrate that ability without wasting spell slots in a weaker yet still unmistakably magical form.

Thurmas

Explorer
A compelling argument, except they call out cantrips specifically.

After getting to see the pages in question, I still would say those rules aren't written with cantrips in mind, for the reasons I stated above. It may list cantrip damage in the chart, but I don't believe any cantrip was designed the way the paragraph says specifically for my reasoning. I think I just explained why Firebolt is 1d10 and Sacred Flame doesn't do half damage without even seeing the DMG section.

Eldritch Blast does not do enough damage, and is not interesting enough. What are some new invocations people have seen or can come up with that will remedy this?

Repelling Blast can greatly increase the damage. If you're using Agonizing Repelling Eldritch Blast (Cha 20) to blast enemies across a patch of Spike Growth, that's d10+5+4d4 (20) points of damage per hit, up to four times a round,PLUS if it's a melee foe it now has to spend time and movement across difficult terrain just getting back to where it started so you can do it all over again. If you're blasting them through a Wall of Fire instead, it's d10+5+5d8 (33) points of damage per hit instead. If you're blasting things off a cliff or off the backs of flying mounts, it's up to d10+5+20d6 (80) points of damage per hit, plus BFR (Battlefield Removal = removing them temporarily from the combat so you can focus on others).

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

A warlock is not a primary caster. He is usually a dealer of single-target damage with a bag of tricks. That damage usually comes from EB.

EB is nothing special without Invocations to improve it, but becomes excellent once improved, especially with AB. It still isn't as good at dealing damage as a martial character's weapon of choice, but it shouldn't be, since the Warlock has that bag of tricks. Weaken EB, and there's much less reason to become a Warlock: Why bother, when you can be a *real* caster?

So how much room is there to improve EB? If we add damage, archers become obsolete. So we can add riders.

Right now, we have invocations to...

* Add damage to make EB worthwhile. (critical)
* Extend the range of EB. (situationally useful)
* Push with every hit. (very useful)

And UA:

* After hitting with EB, use spell slot to cast Fireball as bonus action without needing to know spell. (very useful)
* Once per turn, pull with a hit. (useful; would be better 1/hit)

None of these seem overpowered. I can imagine other invocations that provide interesting riders that are great yet proportionate.

Anyway,

Ken

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Eldritch Blast does not do enough damage, and is not interesting enough. What are some new invocations people have seen or can come up with that will remedy this?

Hahaha!

Dash and Blast it all! - When you take the Dash action you can use your Eldritch Blast as well

Blast Off - When you use your eldritch blast cantrip you can fly 50' straight up but take damage equal to falling damage if you hit anything on the way. Also gravity.......

Blast from the Past - When you use your Eldritch Blast cantrip, you can recall one piece of forgotten legend or lore about life, the universe, or anything (Mostly used for remembering anniversaries to stay in someone's good books)

Have a Blast - When you use your Eldritch Blast cantrip, you cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter without expending a spell slot. (Everyone should enjoy Eldritch Blast!)

Remove ads