• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaming Arrows from a Flaming Bow

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
IMO they would overlap.

A flaming bow's power is to bestow the flaming quality upon its ammunition. Your arrows already have that quality, so there's nothing for the bow to do.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Note that there's also another way they could, hypothetically, "overlap" - roll 2d6, and take the best one.

It depends whether you consider the Flaming quality to be overlapping, or the damage dealt by two Flaming qualities to be overlapping.

Personally, I agree with Auraseer - an arrow is Flaming or it isn't. A Flaming bow makes the arrow a Flaming arrow.

So, any arrow fired from a Flaming bow is a Flaming arrow, regardless of whether it was Flaming before or not.

(Of course, a Frost arrow fired from a Flaming bow would deal +1d6 cold damage and +1d6 fire damage, since it's hot and cold at the same time :) )

-Hyp.

frankthedm

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

(Of course, a Frost arrow fired from a Flaming bow would deal +1d6 cold damage and +1d6 fire damage, since it's hot and cold at the same time :) )

-Hyp.

:rolleyes:

who else here doesn't treat D&D like a VIDEO GAME?

Rob-hin

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

Impossible IMHO.
How can something do both hot and cold damage?
If anything, they negate each other...

I mean, every tried seeting ice on fire?

clark411

First Post
My Magic mocks your mundane sciences ! =)

What does magic have to do with logic? The logic of DND is defined in the mechanics of DND. I see no mention in the mechanics of DND that this cannot be done. The world in my DMG disagrees with whatever assumptions made based on reality.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Impossible IMHO.
How can something do both hot and cold damage?
If anything, they negate each other...

Only in the case of Heat Metal or Chill Metal.

How do they put the stripes in toothpaste?

Not that the how is important in this case... but picture an arrowhead wreathed in toothpaste stripes - one stripe hot, one stripe cold, never quite touching each other... but they both touch you, and you get burned and frozen when the arrow hits.

Ever taken a glass out of the freezer and poured boiling water into it?

-Hyp.

hong

WotC's bitch
Darklone said:
Ok, Hyp, that means your arrow exploded before you shoot it ;)?

Clearly, it is a discarding sabot arrow. Since it has fletching, it is also a fin-stabilised, discarding sabot arrow. And if it had an adamantine head, it would be an armour-piercing, fin-stabilised, discarding sabot arrow. Add the sure striking enchantment if you want terminal guidance.

Hong "wants DU arrows, STAT" Ooi

Remove ads