• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For 4vengers: What is your preferred fallback edition?

Which edition would you play if no 4e game were available? Choices are limited to the D&D Brand,

• D&D 0e

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • D&D Basic (B/X and BECMI)

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • AD&D 1e

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • AD&D 2e

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • D&D 3e

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • D&D 3.5

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • D&D 5e

Votes: 25 39.1%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You mean you'd jump on it like a heroic person might jump on a grenade, protecting the rest of us from the danger, or . . .?

I did play one S&P game, back in 96-97. Naturally I played a cleric! That was not an entirely balanced rules system.
The amount of time I spent playing S&P does probably qualify me for a medal or something. :)

But no, I do think using the cleric (the Spells and Magic version, specifically) as a chassis is actually a way to do "classless" AD&D in something close to a balanced manner. I think there's an undeniable lure to using a "build-your-own-class" system in a class-level game, it feels like you're using a cheat code after you spend so much time using the predefined classes. I think the modularity of Prestige Class leveling in 3.5 and archetypes in Pathfinder are popular for similar reasons.

I think there's an undeniable lure to using a "build-your-own-class" system in a class-level game, it feels like you're using a cheat code after you spend so much time using the predefined classes. I think the modularity of Prestige Class leveling in 3.5 and archetypes in Pathfinder are popular for similar reasons.

While I agree with you here, I also think that a large cross-section of D&D players likely loved Legos as children and the phenomenon you're depicting gives them an OSLR.

TwoSix

While I agree with you here, I also think that a large cross-section of D&D players likely loved Legos as children and the phenomenon you're depicting gives them an OSLR.
I'm totally up for an OSLR game. Here's the party:

lego.jpg

You mean you'd jump on it like a heroic person might jump on a grenade, protecting the rest of us from the danger, or . . .?

I did play one S&P game, back in 96-97. Naturally I played a cleric! That was not an entirely balanced rules system.

^
|
Understatement of the Century here...

Manbearcat: It's funny, because it's true

Funnier still is how I somehow managed to quote myself rather than quoting TwoSix's post below:

Well, at least it makes more sense when the warlord shouts your arm (or legs, or head) back on. :)

The fail is strong with me!

But yeah. I figure if we're going to jump into the "misrepresent the fiction of 4e" pool, then let us dive into the deep in and get our hands all pruney!

TwoSix

Funnier still is how I somehow managed to quote myself rather than quoting TwoSix's post below:
eeyore.jpg

The fail is strong with me!

But yeah. I figure if we're going to jump into the "misrepresent the fiction of 4e" pool, then let us dive into the deep in and get our hands all pruney!
We can just post video game pictures all day, I think I've heard there may be some resemblance.

Remove ads