• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For 4vengers: What is your preferred fallback edition?

Which edition would you play if no 4e game were available? Choices are limited to the D&D Brand,

• D&D 0e

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • D&D Basic (B/X and BECMI)

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • AD&D 1e

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • AD&D 2e

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • D&D 3e

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • D&D 3.5

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • D&D 5e

Votes: 25 39.1%

I would be happy to redo the poll, to satisfy my hordes of screaming fans. I'm just not sure how to do that, aside from starting a new thread (and I'd hate to lose all my cool quotes from "Airplane!").

Also, I meant to have the poll visible to those who voted, but messed it up, somehow. It looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.

Balesir

Adventurer
Very tough choice - my real answer would be 13th Age (if the con admitted "D&D look-alikes", so OSR, Pathfinder and 13A), or something utterly different (but that wasn't the question, right?).

I picked 5e because at least it has some semblance of lip service to balance and elegance, even if I don't think it does it as well as 13A. I nearly picked AD&D 2e, not because of the system (I think it's a bit of a nadir, in that respect) but because it had a number of cool worlds published for it, and I could at least hope to play in one of those.

Of course, if the con isn't system-policed I could probably run Universalis or Hillfolk without a rule book! :devil:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'll play pretty much any D&D ruleset, so that's not much of a determiner of whether I'll play the game.

(Whch basically says my opinon is beside the point, as I am not a specific 4e player. I'll play anything.

Last edited:

Jessica

First Post
I would probably play 5e if 4e wasn't available although I could see myself also playing a Player's Options 2e game, but that might be nostalgia talking. If we weren't restricted to official D&D editions then I would put 13th Age right above 5e.

Interesting results so far...
I posted the poll to test an hypothesis I was thinking about. So far, my hypothesis does not reflect reality.

So far, 5e is in the lead with 7 votes. Basic has 6, 3.5 has 3 votes, 0e and 2e each have 2 votes, 1e has 1 vote, and poor, beleaguered 3rd edition has naught.

Last edited:

Also, there is one unofficial Dungeon World game being played off in a corner, and three 13th Age games being played in various hotel rooms.

I agree with Umbran ultimately. I don't care TOO much about the system if I'm playing. Its really the people and the materials that matter. I've played every one of the systems in the pole, and always had good fun.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Basic (in all forms) gets high watermarks from me for being a clear, consistent game with sparks of flavorful, inspiring low resolution setting material. I still find it a shame that the advanced branch with its focus on minutia was the part of the family that won out. I would still prefer Dungeon World, 13th Age, or Shadows of the Demon Lord though. I'd be willing to play 5e or AD&D, but I don't think I could go back and play 3.x.

Jhaelen

First Post
I voted for 5e because it's the only edition I haven't played yet.

Well, okay, I also have never played 0e. I'm not even sure what that's supposed to be. Chainmail?!

Remove ads