• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fourth Edition largely unavailable at Amazon.com

Torg Smith

First Post
Did dndclassics used to have the DMG, PhB, and MM for the various editions?

Yes, they seem to be holding back for some reason now. I don't know if they are planning to release the revised editions or what. I wish they would just release them. Could you imagine if they released all the support books for 5th edition before releasing the core books. I would really like to know why they are not releasing the core books in PDF.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Not releasing the 4e PHB and DMG and MM is extremely irritating. I know for a fact the OEF exist and are just sitting on a server somewhere. I'd love to legally own all the 4e books in pdf form, I want to give them my money, but they keep not letting me for whatever reason.

The B&N that is nearest to us has an actual copy of the 4E Red Box. At least, they did a week ago...

The FLGS around here also carry a few of the books, but they don't advertise the fact on their websites.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yes, they seem to be holding back for some reason now. I don't know if they are planning to release the revised editions or what. I wish they would just release them. Could you imagine if they released all the support books for 5th edition before releasing the core books. I would really like to know why they are not releasing the core books in PDF.

Presumably its because they re-released the previous edition core books in hardcover form instead. So they probably want to get all those printed books off the market before they then offer them up in PDF form.

Torg Smith

First Post
Presumably its because they re-released the previous edition core books in hardcover form instead. So they probably want to get all those printed books off the market before they then offer them up in PDF form.

I had thought they re-released them so they would be available to those who still wanted to buy physical books. It would kind of defeat the purpose if they run out of them again. I suppose they may have overestimated the number of people who wanted to buy 1600's technology. I suspect most the people who really want the physical books probably still have them from when they were originally published. I know I still have my Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, and Immortal books. :)

The only core books I do not have in physical form is AD&D and Original Edition. I had never bought the Original Edition as Basic had just came out when I got into D&D. I got rid of my AD&D books after I bought the PDFs because I had too many books to keep moving every time I moved. Back when WotC was selling the core PDFs, I bought Original Edition, AD&D, and 4th Edition. So I have those in PDF. I really want them to release D&D 3.5. I want them to release 2nd Edition as well.

Warunsun

First Post
It will be interesting to see if this trend continues for more than another week or so, because if so that could be a sign that 4e is sold out on the direct distributor level and also sold out at a secondary book distribution safety net represented by companies like Ingram, where B&N (and I assume Amazon) often goes to restock their shelves if primary distributors are out of stock.

It's an interesting scenario because right now "4e is completely sold out at distribution" and "Amazon is temporarily out of stock due to the holidays" are both plausible theories based on the books' current Amazon status. In a week or two, that will no longer be the case.

As of today the Red Box is listed as "only available from third-party sellers" instead of "Temporarily out of stock." The rest of the recent books like Heroes of the Fallen Lands and the core Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual are still "Temporarily out of stock." Many other 4E books are listed now as "only available from third-party sellers".

The only current product listed as getting restocked I have noticed is Legacy of the Crystal Shard. It says more will be in stock on January 22, 2014.

Interestingly, the Dungeon! Board Game is listed as being re-released on June 17, 2014. So a new June product is being listed but I can't be sure if this is accurate. It would make sense as a bolstering product for 5th edition. Sundering novel #6 is also due in June 2014.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads