• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Freedom City PBP

DM_Matt

First Post
First, he radios back "Hostile contact, structure at GPS Coordinates (Gives Them), Tangoes have Gopher Castles, Smokers, Callers, and possibly Caspers. Consider evac, containment, and backup. Alpha going in. This is gunna be a sh*tstorm. Over."

(Translation: "Fighting bad guys at the generator..they have fortified bunkers, jamming technology, summoners, and possibly incorporeal creatures. Think about getting innocents out of the way, surrounding the place, and possibly sending in backup. I am assaulting the base, but it is going to be tough and get messy. ttyl.")

If it is clearly not feasible for Surge to teleport to the yellow guy and take him on, he'll go with the SAW plan (full all-out-attack, step between invis and attack if it is required for taking away an opponents dodge bonus due to invisibility, otherwise, step at the end to make it harder to pinpoint him. In both cases, the step should be diagonal and up. They never saw me fly (or with a gun), so I might as well do what they don't expect)

If is seems clear that they are fully incorporeal rather than just liquid or gaseous (for instance, attacks going through them without displacing matter), I combine invisibility with mind control and a step, unless it is apparent to Surge that they would be of a general type that is immune. If none of those work, I try to animate a tentacled fast-flying electric airport fence monster with affects incorporeal 2, an electrical aura, plus do the invis and step thing and send it after them.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
DM_Matt said:
So one round of actions, but trade-off feats used in that rouns are still active for those who go after them in the init order, right?

Yes.

What did Surge see regarding counter-measures and the area of the base where the yellow man is? Even without his cyberbrain array active, he can see at 10x rage and through solid objects. How much backup does there seem to be around him? Could Surge teleport there if he were feeling a little insane?

There appears to be some sort of Obscure effect in the area of the generator maintenance building. It's blocking your ability to see beyond the exterior of the building structure.

DM_Matt

First Post
OOC table talk to Tonguez (if not permitted, I'll not do it again. I don't know the house rules on that), since he said earlier that he does not have the rulebook :

There are different kinds of insubstantial, but in every case energy attacks are equal or more likely to work than physical attacks, meaning that you are better off just blasting it rather than throwing a car.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Thanks for the heads up:) throwing the car is Bastions way of testing to see if they are insubstantial - in which case the car will have little effect but still give us enough time to use a forcefeild slam on the next round.

Bastions Reflection Feilds is limited to Physical/Kinetic Energy attacks only - so would they work?. What about his Kinetic Control Deflect/nullify movement/slow and move object powers?

(ps what specifically does deflect do?)

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
Insight said:
You can spend a Hero Point to have one drive past the scene!

OOC: Done

Mnemonic looked around trying to come up with something before the Shadow things were upon them. Until he heard the tell-tale sound of a deisel engine.
Is that a 2003 Oshkosh T-1500 with MODEL 6-25-367 LIGHTING MASTS and RCP 6000 LIGHT SYSTEMS? By State regulations Each mast has to extend to 25 feet and supports four 1500 watt light fixtures with remote control positioning! He thought excitedly as he ran the specs in his mind.

He ran for the vehicle and tried to flag down the driver.

Insight

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
Thanks for the heads up:) throwing the car is Bastions way of testing to see if they are insubstantial - in which case the car will have little effect but still give us enough time to use a forcefeild slam on the next round.

Bastions Reflection Feilds is limited to Physical/Kinetic Energy attacks only - so would they work?. What about his Kinetic Control Deflect/nullify movement/slow and move object powers?

(ps what specifically does deflect do?)

Deflect/Reflect is a power that you use defensively in reaction to an attack. It works as a kind of defense to allow you to avoid an attack, which in your case, would need to be of the physical/kinetic types. So basically, someone throws a truck at you, or a bolt of kinetic energy, and you can use your Deflect (or Reflect) to avoid the attack. In the case of Reflect, you can try to send it back at them.

In case you're wondering about Reflection Field...

Ultimate Power said:
You are surrounded by an effect that causes attacks against you to be reflected back against the attacker. When you are attacked, and the attack roll is successful, make a Reflection Field power check. If the check result equals or exceeds the attack roll result, then the attack is reflected back at the attacker. Make an attack roll to hit the attacker using your Reflection Field rank as the attack bonus.

If your initial power check against the attack fails, the attack affects you normally.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Tonguez, read the following and tell me if throwing a vehicle at the shadow creatures is still what you want to do this round.

[sblock=Bastion]Note: Mnemonic's emergency vehicle doesn't appear until his action, so you can't throw that right now, even if you wanted to.

Give that, the nearest car is going to be one of the vans parked next to the maintenance building. They are 600ft away from your location. Bastion can still target them, as his Move Object ability has a base range of 100ft and works at up to 10 range increments (so max range is 1000ft). The Move Object ability gives Bastion an effective Strength of 50 for lifting things. The van weighs 1500lbs, so Bastion has 25 more effective Strength than needed to lift the van. Bastion can thus throw the van 125ft (pp. 36-37 M&M, throwing and extended carrying capacity).

Picking up the van is a move action, and throwing it is a standard action, so Bastion can do both this round. The problem is that the shadow creatures are beyond your throwing range (200ft). So Bastion can't really hit them with a thrown van.

You have another option at this point. By using Extra Effort, Bastion could temporarily increase his Kinetic Control by 2 ranks (to 12) for one round. This would in turn increase his effective Strength for Move Object to 60 (giving Bastion 35 more effective Strength than needed to lift the van). By doing this, Bastion could throw a van 500ft, well within your ability to attempt to hit a shadow creature. Bastion would end up taking a -2 penalty for range, because the shadow creatures are in your second range increment (100ftx2). If Bastion does this, he will be fatigued, but you could spend a Hero Point next round to shake off the condition if you wish.[/sblock]

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
As Bastion scans the tarmac he realises that the shdow creatures are too far away for him to effectively hit with the nearby vans and he cusses under his breath as he looks about trying to find a better course of action...

(ooc no I don't want to spend a point to throw the van at this stage, um -I'll hold my action atm, and help whoever looks most like needing help. Also can I get a reminder of the layout. We are outside the airport fence over looking the carpark beyond which is a feild on the farside of which is the power generator right? Any other important details?

Thanks for the deflect details, I already looked up reflection so thanks...)

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
As Bastion scans the tarmac he realises that the shdow creatures are too far away for him to effectively hit with the nearby vans and he cusses under his breath as he looks about trying to find a better course of action...

(ooc no I want spend a point to throw the van at this stage, um -I'll hold my action atm, and help whoever looks most like needing help. Also can I get a reminder of the layout. We are outside the airport fence over looking the carpark beyond which is a feild on the farside of which is the power generator right? Any other important details?

Thanks for the deflect details, I already looked up reflection so thanks...)

OOC: Not quite. You are on a shallow grassy hill about 100ft from the airport fence, and about 600ft from an auxilliary generator structure. The only two vehicles at all close by are parked next to the generator building. There's no parking lot per se; the vans are just parked on the tarmac next to the building. There are parking lots, but they are very far from you (about 1200ft away from the generator is the closest such lot).

Insight

Adventurer
Jordan Intl Airport, Feb. 14th, Evening

The shadowy figures surge forward, moving at blazing speed. As they close, you see that they are grease-like in appearance, humanoid in shape, with red, glowing eyes.

*** INIT ***

Bastion [26]
Shadow Creatures [22]
The Entrapper [13]
Mnemonic [11]
Power Surge [9]

*** ACTIONS ***

[sblock=Bastion's Actions]Bastion holds his action.[/sblock]

The shadow creatures cruise forward, flying over the electrified security fence, and continue towards the heroes, stopping about 30ft from the majority of the heroes.
[sblock=GM's Actions]The shadow creatures double move 470ft to within 30ft of the heroes.[/sblock]

The Entrapper looks to his allies. "What the heck are these things?" he asks to no one in particular. Before anyone can answer, "Maybe I'll try to catch them in a snare."

Throwing a quasi-real net over the shadow creatures...
[sblock=The Entrapper's Actions]
Since you didn't specify, I assume the Entrapper is using his Snare 5 (Extras: Affects Incorporeal (+1), Area Burst (+1)) on the three shadow creatures.

1. Attack Roll: 1d20+7=19 - MISSES all of them (just barely).[/sblock]

... the shadow creatures all evade the net, proving too quick for the Entrapper's gambit.

Mnemonic looked around trying to come up with something before the Shadow things were upon them. Until he heard the tell-tale sound of a diesel engine.

Is that a 2003 Oshkosh T-1500 with MODEL 6-25-367 LIGHTING MASTS and RCP 6000 LIGHT SYSTEMS? By State regulations Each mast has to extend to 25 feet and supports four 1500 watt light fixtures with remote control positioning! he thought excitedly as he ran the specs in his mind.

dp-1-64-oshkosh-t1500-2003.jpg

Mnemonic ran for the vehicle and tried to flag down the driver.
[sblock=Mnemonic's Actions]Mnemonic double moves towards the emergency vehicle.[/sblock]

Power Surge radios back to AEGIS, "Hostile contact, structure at GPS Coordinates (Gives Them), Tangoes have Gopher Castles, Smokers, Callers, and possibly Caspers. Consider evac, containment, and backup. Alpha going in. This is gunna be a sh*tstorm. Over."

(Translation: "Fighting bad guys at the generator..they have fortified bunkers, jamming technology, summoners, and possibly incorporeal creatures. Think about getting innocents out of the way, surrounding the place, and possibly sending in backup. I am assaulting the base, but it is going to be tough and get messy. ttyl.")

Seeing the shadow creatures close, Power Surge creates an assault rifle out of nothingness, and begins to fire it at the closest shadow creature.

[sblock=Power Surge's Actions]You've posted a lot of possible actions for Power Surge, so it's up to me to figure out which ones apply. I'm going to use your most recent post for your list of possible actions.

1. Concentration Check to Activate SAW: concentration check (1d20+17=26) - SUCCESS!
2. All-Out Attack (-5 Defense, +5 Attack), and Autofire vs. one shadow creature: autofire attack (1d20+15=25) - SUCCESS!

1. Shadow creature's toughness vs. SAW attack: toughness save (1d20+12=21) - FAILS by 9 :: Shadow Creature is stunned, bruised, and injured.

You can fly after you use your SAW, but not while using it, since you took a flaw that prevent you from using the weapon while flying. Power Surge flies 15ft away from the spot where he fired his weapon.
[/sblock]

*** END OF ROUND ONE ***

Remove ads