• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Freedom City PBP

Insight

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
"You know light is a form of kinetic energy" Bastion muses as he imagines new ways to test his abilities
"I have no idea whether the feilds I generate would be fine enough to deflect photons but if it could I might be able to become effectively invisible or at least become something of a blur to anyone looking. At a distance they might dismiss the blur as a 'trick of the light'" he grins at his own play on words but feels ready to move
" I can cover you too Ras but we will still need stealth to get through, especially since I don't even know if I can do it. Are you willing to try?"

(ooc so Insight can I spend a hero point on that?)

[sblock=Tonguez]Sure. You can pick up Alternate Power - Invisibility (Sight) at the cost of a Hero Point. It will last until you use your kinetic powers for something else or the end of this current scene, whichever comes first.[/sblock]

DM_Matt

First Post
OOC: Although I have personal concealment, I do not have enough points in it that I can AP Affects Others with Progression off it. Thus, if he can Bastion will have to do it.

DM_Matt

First Post
"I do not detect any other entrenches, nor are there any on the airport's blueprint. I suppose we might as well cloak ourselves and get to the entrance. Once we are there, I should be able to bypass security pretty easily. A cautionary note about my personal cloaking technology: When it is on, you won't be able to see OR hear me, though I can communicate through radios or telephones. If we are fighting, and you CAN see me, I probably am using my shifting technology. You will be able to hear me, but I will appear to be in another location near to where I otherwise am. "

DM_Matt

First Post
Before they go, Surge scans the field, power station, underground, etc. for security systems, mines, cameras, and anything else interesting. If there is an integrated system, he switches to his Computer Control, and tries to gain control of the system. This job calls for something stronger than regular ol' hacking.

[sblock]Perception range, though he needs to switch off the cyberbrain array, so his scan goes 10 times further than normal vision instead of 100), works as Mind Control 10 with the conscious extra (able to access memory), except only on computers, robots, etc. Requires a DC 20 Concentration Check to use (Concentration Bonus =17, Second Chance feat applies). Will Save DC 20 to resist, though if the official ruling on Possession and computers applies here, the machines only get a save if they are sentient and have an actual will save. Please tell me if it tried to resist or not, so I know if I have to worry about it making later saves once I switch out of that part of the array, since mind control is a sustained(lasting) power.[/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
Jordan Intl Airport, Feb. 14th, Evening

Power Surge concentrates on the auxilliary power generator structure, trying to get a read on the possible electronic sensors and defenses therein. Meanwhile, Mnemonic, Bastion, and the Entrapper look on, waiting for word that the coast is clear.

[sblock=Power Surge]You definitely detect hidden security countermeasures underground. Most of them are normal computers, so you can control them without too much trouble. But something doesn't seem right. As you continue to scan, you get the sense that something is watching YOU as well.[/sblock]

As Surge turns to address the rest of his allies, three shadowy forms appear on the tarmac between where you stand and the generator. These forms, vaguely humanoid in shape, are moving awfully fast, and straight towards you.

At the base of the generator structure, you spy a curious little man in a yellow and white cloak, who ducks away as your attention turns to the incoming shadow creatures.

*** INIT ***

Bastion [26] init - bastion (1d20+11=26)
Shadow Creatures [22] init - shadow creatures (1d20+8=22)
The Entrapper [13] init - entrapper (1d20+2=13)
Mnemonic [11] init - mnemonic (1d20+5=11)
Power Surge [9] init - power surge (1d20+6=9)

COMBAT & STUFF
It's been a while since we ran a combat in this game, so I just wanted to remind everyone how it will work.

First, everyone with the exception of Bastion has all of their Hero Points back, if they spent them, and all conditions are back to starting.

Second, go ahead and post your actions for the first round. Assume that you have at least one round of actions before the shadow creatures get to where you are (if you move towards them, that's another story). Ranged attacks can be used, of course, by either side as the shadow creatures close in. I will resolve actions in Initiative order, but it doesn't matter the order in which you guys post your actions.

Last edited:

DM_Matt

First Post
Insight said:
Freedom Airport, Feb. 14th, Evening

Power Surge concentrates on the auxilliary power generator structure, trying to get a read on the possible electronic sensors and defenses therein. Meanwhile, Mnemonic, Bastion, and the Entrapper look on, waiting for word that the coast is clear.

[sblock=Power Surge]You definitely detect hidden security countermeasures underground. Most of them are normal computers, so you can control them without too much trouble. But something doesn't seem right. As you continue to scan, you get the sense that something is watching YOU as well.[/sblock]

As Surge turns to address the rest of his allies, three shadowy forms appear on the tarmac between where you stand and the generator. These forms, vaguely humanoid in shape, are moving awfully fast, and straight towards you.

At the base of the generator structure, you spy a curious little man in a yellow and white cloak, who ducks away as your attention turns to the incoming shadow creatures.

*** INIT ***

Bastion [26] init - bastion (1d20+11=26)
Shadow Creatures [22] init - shadow creatures (1d20+8=22)
The Entrapper [13] init - entrapper (1d20+2=13)
Mnemonic [11] init - mnemonic (1d20+5=11)
Power Surge [9] init - power surge (1d20+6=9)

COMBAT & STUFF
It's been a while since we ran a combat in this game, so I just wanted to remind everyone how it will work.

First, everyone with the exception of Bastion has all of their Hero Points back, if they spent them, and all conditions are back to starting.

Second, go ahead and post your actions for the first round. Assume that you have at least one round of actions before the shadow creatures get to where you are (if you move towards them, that's another story). Ranged attacks can be used, of course, by either side as the shadow creatures close in. I will resolve actions in Initiative order, but it doesn't matter the order in which you guys post your actions.

Can we tell if these shadowy creatures are incorporeal? If they are not, I will go invisible (free action) open up with my SAW and Full (5) All-Out Attack, and take a five-foot step away. If I can see the yellow guy through cover with my scanners, I will try to hit him with the SAW as well, since I might as well try and it does so much damage that it might blast through a barrier or a wall and still hurt the guy...even without the Autofire 3 my "SAW" does the damage of a Space Battleship or a non-nuclear ICBM concentrated in mighty little energy packets that look like bullets. Otherwise, I'll have to buy an AP with a hero point, so since I cannot switch, I will go with my most flexible, a version of the MP5 with Affects Insubstantial 2 instead of that last point of Blast (making it Blast 9). I will turn invisible, shoot at all of them, all-out attacking for 5, power attacking for 1, while flying back at full speed (Thus +9 Attack, +15 damage), taking cover I can 5 foot step out of if possible. They don't get their dodge bonuses against me unless they can penetrate the invisibility, and have homing. I need to make a DC20 concentration check to use my SAW or MP5, and I have Second Chance for it.

Alternatively, if I can see and attack the yellow guy somehow, I'll do the SAW plan, trying mainly to hit him but I might as well go for the others, too.

Furthermore, If any of the following are the case, I do not use a hero point to buy a ghost gun. (I do the highest-ranked one I can)
1. There is any evidence from previous characters interactions that energy blasts without special anti-ghost abilities will work. If they do, I try the SAW plan and hope that none of them get to me before my AC resets (Surge doesn't know he lost init, let alone if there will be more than one round...or if they can even see him)
1. By the time they get to me, the baddies are already largely taken care of, in which case I seize the security system. I assume it would not be possible to prevent the yellow guy for getting back in?
2. Mind Control is listed as a Sensory(Mental) power as its type, but I flawed its range down to ranged from perception. I can't find a rules reason why this would make its type change, however, so it seems that it is still a sensory effect and thus already affects insubstantial. If that is the case, I will turn invisible, use it on one of the baddies, and go back quite a bit and hide behind something solid (but that I can 5-foot-step form out behind, vertically or horizontally), watching the battle with my scanners. I will use move-by-attack if I must with this, if it is necessary to have moved while invis before attacking to make them lose their dodge bonus. I all-out attack for 5, hurting my defense but setting the Mind Control DC to Will 25. If I know that this work (i.e. if my mind control descriptors would not apply to these things anyway or does not have effects insubstantial), I don't do it.
3. If I can create a minion with animate machines, perhaps made of power station bits, which has a big powerful affects insubstantial blast, I will do that, go invisible, move a step, and order it to attack.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
DM_Matt said:
Can we tell if these shadowy creatures are incorporeal?

They appear to be misty and partially insubstantial. You can't tell until they get closer whether or not they are truly incorporeal, but upon first glance, they definitely could be incorporeal, at least liquidy/shadowy (rank 1 of insubstantial).

Insight

Adventurer
OOC: I just realized I've been calling the airport "Freedom Airport" when it is in fact "Jordan International Airport". I have modified the most recent post to show this change, and will use the correct name in the future.

DM_Matt

First Post
...and a bump for my massive edit post above.

EDIT: which I will edit again, now that I've noticed that I only need to stunt an AP if they turn out to be Insubstantial 4.

EDIT2: Which I have edited.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
DM_Matt said:
Mind Control is listed as a Sensory(Mental) power as its type, but I flawed its range down to ranged from perception. I can't find a rules reason why this would make its type change, however, so it seems that it is still a sensory effect and thus already affects insubstantial. If that is the case, I will turn invisible, use it on one of the baddies, and go back quite a bit and hide behind something solid (but that I can 5-foot-step form out behind, vertically or horizontally), watching the battle with my scanners. I will use move-by-attack if I must with this, if it is necessary to have moved while invis before attacking to make them lose their dodge bonus. I all-out attack for 5, hurting my defense but setting the Mind Control DC to Will 25. If I know that this work (i.e. if my mind control descriptors would not apply to these things anyway or does not have effects insubstantial), I don't do it.

I think the feat you want is Power Attack. All-Out Attack only boosts your attack roll, not the Save DC of your powers.

In terms of affecting incorporeal, Mind Control would work just fine, as long as it's at least ranged.

Remove ads