Games with "terrible" follow-up editions

DrunkonDuty

he/him
It was really wild, in retrospect. Hey HERO gamers you know how you love Cyberpunk 2020? Hey, Cyberpunk 2020 gamers you know how you love HERO? It's like they wanted to combine peanut butter and chocolate and instead combined fish and cheese.
I like tuna mornay. But I do not like Fuzion.
It got really stupid. Turns out tying the advance of the metaplot to what clan deck won at a card tournament is, I don't know, not the best idea for a cohesive setting?
Agreed. I still can't get over how dumb Crab and Shadowlands alliance is.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It was really wild, in retrospect. Hey HERO gamers you know how you love Cyberpunk 2020? Hey, Cyberpunk 2020 gamers you know how you love HERO? It's like they wanted to combine peanut butter and chocolate and instead combined fish and cheese.
and not in a Parmesan-crusted kind of way (which is a decent way to combine cheese and fish).

Voadam

Legend
But when HERO (my favorite system) released something called the “Fuzion” edition? It was produced in partnership with R. Talsorian Games.

I felt betrayed. I was wondering why it existed and if I’d ever purchase another product. Fortunately, it was short lived, at least, as a “Champions” product line. I think there were a pair of supplements, and that was it. I can’t remember what I bought in the line, and I’m not sure I still own it. As I understand it, there’s a few games out there that use the Fuzion system.
According to rpg.net it includes some Hero/Champions and Cyberpunk, and Victoriana 1e, Usagi Yojimbo 1e, Dragonball Z, Sengoku, Bubblegum Crisis, Teenagers From Outer Space, and a few others.

Stormonu

Legend
I could make a whole thread just about how much I hate every single thing about 2e (except the wound wheel, I actually like that).
I have the new books, but haven't had the chance to play or dive too deep into the rules. I like that they have added the Sarmation Commonwealth, but I mourn the changes/gutting of Los Vagos. Reading some reviews, sounds like there's a steep learning curve coming from 1E?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I have the new books, but haven't had the chance to play or dive too deep into the rules. I like that they have added the Sarmation Commonwealth, but I mourn the changes/gutting of Los Vagos. Reading some reviews, sounds like there's a steep learning curve coming from 1E?
Setting wise the changes go deeper, like Eisen just being Ravenloft now etc, but in essence, yeah. They added not-Poland.

As to the learning curve, yeah, it's a completely different game. It reads like a storygame from like, 15-20 years ago. It's basically a bunch of "Mother, may I" and lots of baffling design decisions that leads to weird, counter-intuitive play at the table.

Stormonu

Legend
They added fantasy Poland to the core fantasy Europe setting but they also expanded the world with a full Fantasy Africa continent with five nations and a Fantasy New World with three nations.

My memory of 1e/d20 was there was just the Crescent Empire and no new world.
There was a New World in 1E, but it never got a book, just a couple paragraphs spread over various books. It was home to most of Syraneth artifacts and culture.

And after more reading of 2E reviews - woof, don't think I'll ever use the mechanics!

I personally didn’t like the way Mutants & Masterminds went after 2Ed, but it wasn’t so annoying that I hated it. I simply didn’t buy any of it.

But when HERO (my favorite system) released something called the “Fuzion” edition? It was produced in partnership with R. Talsorian Games.

I felt betrayed. I was wondering why it existed and if I’d ever purchase another product. Fortunately, it was short lived, at least, as a “Champions” product line. I think there were a pair of supplements, and that was it. I can’t remember what I bought in the line, and I’m not sure I still own it. As I understand it, there’s a few games out there that use the Fuzion system.

I played a lot of Champions in junior high and high school, and loved it. So lemme tell you--Fuzion was great! I ran a supers campaign using it, and it provided a gorgeously streamlined take on Champions. There were some quirks, to be sure--skewed more lethal, and you couldn't rules-lawyer every power into a five paragraph treatise on why it shouldn't cost more than 2.5 points--but that's exactly what I was looking for anyway.

I can't defend any implementations of Fuzion, because I didn't use anything but the core rules. But those were way more modern and way less bloated than Champions/HERO.

Remove ads