Geek Confessional Thread 2024

Reynard

Legend
On a completely unrelated note, I've lost all of my love for Star Wars. I've never been its biggest fan (preferring fantasy over sci-fi in general), but while I could appreciate it when it was at its best, the current crop of offerings has pretty well killed my affection for the brand.
I think I am there, too. I keep meaning to watch Ashoka (since Clone Wars is, IMO, the best Star Wars ever produces) but I can't be bothered after television failure after television failure. i want to be excited for The Acolyte, but... meh.

I still love Star Wars in gaming, tho, because when i run a Star Wars campaign (using SWADE, usually) I know it is going to be the perfect Star Wars (for me).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The only comic book I currently read (other than a few older compilations and trade paperbacks) is Usagi Yojimbo. While I do occasionally like newer stories in the superhero comisc, most of them have just gotten too convoluted in their continuities (particularly the X-Men) to follow.

Alan Moore had his day, but he's overrated.

Terry Austin is an under-sung hero. His inking elevates every penciler he works with.

I have always kind of hated the Vampire RPG.

I don't participate in a lot of other social media outlets for RPGs and fantasy sci-fi fandom. ENWorld is quite aggravating enough. Why would I want to seek out more interaction with such contentious jerks as you all?

Reynard

Legend
The only comic book I currently read (other than a few older compilations and trade paperbacks) is Usagi Yojimbo. While I do occasionally like newer stories in the superhero comisc, most of them have just gotten too convoluted in their continuities (particularly the X-Men) to follow.
I feel bad that I don't read comics much anymore, mostly because I feel bad I am not supporting my FLCS. But somewhere around the Nu52 I stopped reading DC and Marvel and over the following years my comics reading in general has diminished. Whenever we go on vacation (we like exploring small cities we have never been to before) I do seek out a comic shop and find something I did not know existed, however.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I just can't get excited about Hazbin Hotel. My friends are all begging me to watch it, and I've liked the musical clips that they showed me on Youtube, but...

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old, but (after they forced me to watch the pilot, which I think came out a couple of years ago) I found myself unimpressed. I perceive this juvenile sensibility to the show, where it's being deliberately provocative in ways that I find childish. It's not just the amount of profanity, cartoonish violence, and sexual topics; it's the pervasive sense of "LOOK AT HOW WE DON'T GIVE A &%$#!" throughout the show. Not in terms of the characters or the plot (that I've seen), but in its presentation.

There's nothing wrong with that per se, but I'm past that. I enjoy brain candy as much as the next person, but this strikes me as the black jellybeans of that particular metaphor: not something I like.

Last edited:

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I don't think it's the pop culture aspect of D&D/gaming that vexes me nowadays, so much as the professionalizion of it. (I might feel better about it if I was playing more regularly, though.)

Gaming is social. I'm pretty unsociable. This is very frustrating sometimes.

I've never seen any episodes of Doctor Who after the 7th Doctor, and almost none after the 4th Doctor.

Burned out on Star Trek after DS9.

Burned out on Star Wars somewhere around "I don't like sand."

I don't know anything about Game of Thrones, books or series. Not interested.

I was never into comics, and don't understand the popularity of supers as a genre.

I dislike watching movies with others, because I usually cry at some point and that's embarrassing.

I prefer watching others play videogames to playing them myself. Been like that all the way back to PacMan, et al.

I've learned to enjoy movies I used to not care for (or thought I didn't), like old kung fu and classic westerns. Likewise for a lot of anime.

I enjoyed Harry Potter books more than I expected.

I like and consider all of the SW movies to be Star Wars movies.
LotR is okay but nothing more than okay for me
I prefer my star trek to be slightly realistic in that it's not always sun shine and rainbows utopia

Remove ads