Geek Confessional Thread 2024

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I am not comfortable with people who feel martyred and imposed on for their gaming and other fsnnish tastes.

One of my good friends in elementary and junior high never wanted anyone to visit her home. This was unusual for her, and unusual for our social scene - we spanned a lot of socioeconomic brackets, but from rich to poor, we all liked being able to be the host from time to time. But know, people are people. We respected her wish and got on with life.

It wasn’t until high school, as they were moving to another district, that I learned what was up. Her mother had had acid thrown at her by Nicaraguan contras when my friend was young, and looked genuinely like a horror show. Her mom wanted neither to scare kids nor to have to hide herself away. So they didn’t host.

That family had reason to feel martyred and imposed on. Most of us, most of the time, are just whining.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
Brandon Sanderson is overrated. While I can understand his appeal to most people, for me magic will never be predictable as he likes to write. I concede that in D&D and like RPGs, magic must be reliable because there are players playing casters and need to trust their own abilities, but I do not want that in fiction. My tastes in literature are magic being more mysterious, unpredictable and inexplicable.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Brandon Sanderson is overrated. While I can understand his appeal to most people, for me magic will never be predictable as he likes to write. I concede that in D&D and like RPGs, magic must be reliable because there are players playing casters and need to trust their own abilities, but I do not want that in fiction. My tastes in literature are magic being more mysterious, unpredictable and inexplicable.
I agree about fiction but disagree about RPGs. Casters in games don’t need to have reliable powers. Magic in games can, and I think should, be as unpredictable as in good fiction.

Reynard

Legend
I like the look and feel of anime, but in general (with exceptions, of course) I do not enjoy anime produced in Japan. I think I just prefer Western (geopolitical, not genre) storytelling tropes and beats. I can get behind Castlevania most of the other Netflix Anime, though.

I don't know if Blue Eye Samurai is Western or Japanese but I love it.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The BSG reboot was a disappointment. I wanted space battles and shoot outs with walking toasters. It started that way but turned into a soap opera instead of a space opera.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I haven’t been interested in a Star Wars movie, TV show or game since I saw The Phantom Menace. I hated that movie so much, I almost started giving it the MST3K treatment in the theater.

I love superheroes, but stopped collecting comics in the late 1990s. I watched several of the TV shows that popped up over the following years, and even caught a few of the movies. But the last 2 supers movies I saw in theaters were Iron Man and The Avengers. I watched several seasons of The Flash, but didn’t finish it, and never watched a single episode of the other DC shows on The CW.

For that matter, I also drop any TV show that goes to a pay channel. And I don’t watch “sneak peaks” for shows that will not be on broadcast/regular cable, nor do I watch free trials for pay channels. I know I’ve missed some good geeky shows- including ones I loved- but I’m not going to be pressured into spending money for TV above & beyond the basics.

I enjoy some anime, but as the saying goes, “I ain’t married to it.”

As for the current wave of geekdom cresting in the sea of pop culture? It doesn’t bother me, but my tastes are rarely reflected in what’s “hot” in the Nerdiverse. So, oddly, I sometimes feel like an outsider in this hobby I’ve been a part of since ‘77.

Last edited:

Remove ads