• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Gentle Repose and Spell Casting Foci

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Hello all,

I was reading the spell description for Gentle Repose, and noting that the spell needs a specific component, a copper piece per eye, or eye socket if missing an eye, or the spell stops working.

I have two questions for your perusal.

A) Are the copper coins magically held in place?

The opposite, not only are they not magically held in place, if they are removed the spell ends early. The spell make a point of saying (in the material component spot) "one copper piece placed on each of the corpse's eyes, which must remain there for the duration" - seems a strange place for fluff, so likely it's relevant.

Also it's more fun. Normally, the corpse just lies there - but what if the party has to flee? Keeping the coins on the eyes while running away is a challenge in and of itself. why would a cleric cast it right away as opposed to later? Well if the cleric later wants to cast revivify - he's got to cast this spell within 1 minute of death. Why not just cast revivify? Well presumably after a hard fight, he might have a 2nd level spell available but not a 3rd level.

Simonb1;7202885B) said:
Could you use a Foci along with the copper coins to cast the spell?

Not sure why you would? Either the focus is sufficient on it's own, or you just need the coins. Since, here, the coins are an integral part of the spell - seems you just need the coins.

All IMHO of course

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
A clever cleric carries a tight blindfold with them as well, to tie around the eyes and secure the coins in place — that way the body is protected against jostling and no greedy passerbys decide to get 2cp richer... ;)

MarkB

Legend
It would be nicely thematic if the cleric wrapped the eyes, and then the entire head for safety's sake, in bandages to keep the coins in place. Like they're actually preparing the corpse in order to prevent decay.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
A clever cleric carries a tight blindfold with them as well, to tie around the eyes and secure the coins in place — that way the body is protected against jostling and no greedy passerbys decide to get 2cp richer... ;)

pine sap or some other adhesive ought to do the trick....maybe...

If my players did that, I think I'd be fine with it. Creativity is generally good.

BUT, I can also see a case for any messing with the coins (putting sap on them securing them in any way other than just resting in place etc.) corrupts the spell component and ruins the spell.

Last edited:

Eis

Explorer
If my players did that, I think I'd be fine with it. Creativity is generally good.

BUT, I can also see a case for any messing with the coins (putting sap on them securing them in any way other that just resting in place etc.) corrupts the spell component and ruins the spell.

yeah that's a good point....I'd most likely let my cleric know ahead of time whether he thought it would ruin the spell or not....maybe Pelor is not a fan of sovereign glue or whatever

What alternative ways could you use the coins in the spell?

Either pulled from the real world. Example, Coins in the mouth.

Or made up. For example, Putting a coin in the palm of the hand then making a fist, then you wrap the closed hand with string. Or placing a coin on the sole of the foot and securing it with a wrapped cloth.

And since the coins over the eyes is sudo-mechanical/fluff, would you allow it in your game?

yeah that's a good point....I'd most likely let my cleric know ahead of time whether he thought it would ruin the spell or not....maybe Pelor is not a fan of sovereign glue or whatever

I bet the later resurrected character is also not the biggest fan of sovereign glue on his eyes.

Remove ads