Ginny Di interviews WotC's Kyle Brink

Continuing the D&D executive producer's interview tour, gaming influencer Ginny Di asks a WotC's Kyle Brink about the OGL and other things.

Continuing the D&D executive producer's interview tour, gaming influencer Ginny Di asks a WotC's Kyle Brink about the OGL and other things.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
...immediately followed by him saying hombrewing in 3d is complicated and time consuming and will require purchased assets. So it will supported in a "you can certainly try" sort of way. Which is fine, people can just not use the vtt, but the contrast was funny to me
I think that's going to be a thing that Wizards is going to discover. The more complex their VTT offering is, the harder it is to homebrew, the smaller the audience they're going to have for it. The more expensive it is for 3pp to sell things on it, the smaller the audience they're going to have for it.

It's probably the case that that audience is large enough to be profitable for them, though I wonder if it will be "profitable enough" to be worth the resources they're going to need to run it.

Put me down with a marker that says their VTT is going to end up with a 2d mode alongside the 3d mode eventually - either when it rolls out or it'll be announced within a year after rollout. Just to make it easier to adopt for folks who want to make their own stuff.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
...immediately followed by him saying hombrewing in 3d is complicated and time consuming and will require purchased assets. So it will supported in a "you can certainly try" sort of way. Which is fine, people can just not use the vtt, but the contrast was funny to me
Both things can be true, and probably are.
Homebrewing into a VTT is very hard. Just try it with any current VTT!

Considering there were claims repeated here that D&D was going to ban all homebrew, everywhere, having the people who would do that say otherwise is newsworthy

But 5.1 is actually an SRD. For 4e they'd either need to create an SRD or say "Hey we're opening up the PHB, the MM, and these pages of the DMG as open content under a CC-BY license. Have fun folks!"

I mean, I'd love for them to do that, but expecting it is another matter entirely...
if they did that I would do a happy dance... just cause i know SOMEONE would make a searchable list of powers

Remove ads

Remove ads