GM Rule Options

Gortle

Explorer
Has some one put together a list of of options for changing the pace of the the game. Different groups like different styles and it occurs to me that a few simple rules changes could enable that. Something for the GM and players to work out at the start of the campaign.

Options for faster pace

• Limit players to 2 at will, 2 encounter, 2 daily powers. Cap them at 1 defensive item power, 1 offensive item power, 1 racial power, no feats that grant powers.
  • No opportunity attacks - except for defenders.
  • No interrupt powers. They can exist as standard powers and the effect can apply to the end of the next turn - some may still make sense.
  • No Minor Actions - for ranger and warlock just assume the closest enemy at the start of their turn is quarried or cursed. Drawing a weapon becomes a move action, minor action attack powers become standard actions, most of the other minor action become free actions.
  • A successful save ends all negative conditions.
  • One initiative roll for the party (use best) and one for the monsters.
  • Drop monster hit points by 25%

Options for more deadly effects

• Add a damage bonus to all attacks at the same rate as the level progression +1/2 levels.
  • Apply the principle in the Sleep power for saving throws. Bit of a throwback to 3rd ed for those who enjoyed level draining and being turned to stone.

• If you fail the second saving throw versus a ongoing effect from an encounter power then the effect lasts till the end of encounter.
  • If you fail the second saving throw versus a ongoing effect from a daily power then the effect lasts till the GMs decides otherwise. At least till the end of the day, may require special healing or quest to remove.
Options for a more complex game (someone will want it)

• Never replace powers as characters level - they can still retrain. PCs will end up with 2 at will, 8 encounter, 8 daily and 7 utility powers. If one of your player doesn't want this for themself then balance it out with an extra feat or so as appropriate.
  • Remove limits to number of interrupts, opportunity or free action attacks. But no matter how many times each effect triggers no repeats of the same one in the same turn.

This is the sort of thing that should be in the DMG or Unearthed Arcarna somewhere.

Obviously it will have an impact of a few builds. Large numbers of Ranger powers may see the light of day for once.

I'm going to add Sleep style saving throws to a few of my monsters to scare the players a bit. Yeah I'll warn them, and I'll keep it limited. Players can get really frustrated when you incapacitate them too much. It does make their victory sweeter though.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Spam reported. For a second I thought it was legit. "Distance melee basic... oh, wait, they don't mean that kind of MBA. Spam." :p

Also, very interesting ideas there. I particularly enjoy the ideas on deadlier effects. I have also long considered having an option to not replace powers. Characters find them iconic and get attached after a while. If I ever run a game above Heroic tier, I will likely present them with options to keep and/or upgrade old powers.

Remove ads