D&D 5E Grasping Arrow and Pushing Attack on the same attack for 5d6 damage?

ECMO3

Hero
The creature is not moving, it is being moved. Grasping does nothing.
This is not true, it does not require the enemy using his movement. Forced movement moves someone and does damage the first time it happens on a turn, assuming it is more than 1 foot. JC clarified this.

This gets confused with booming blade which requires "willingly moves" and would not be affected if something is being moved.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I've always ruled that forced movement does not count for effects that happen when a creature moves. It's been that way so that people can't force move targets in and out of auras or zones that cause damage each time upon entering. But that's just my interpretation.

ECMO3

Hero
I've always ruled that forced movement does not count for effects that happen when a creature moves. It's been that way so that people can't force move targets in and out of auras or zones that cause damage each time upon entering. But that's just my interpretation.
I get that argument, but it really nerfs things like spike growth and grasping arrow and takes them from being among the best abilities of their level/tier to being mediocre. I think the RAW is pretty clear though, forced movement causes damage on those sorts of things unless something in the text says it doesn't or refers to the enemy using their movement.

Arcane Archer is a relatively underpowered subclass already and nerfing GA like this would make the subclass a lot weaker, since GA is really the centerpeice of the subclass.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Arcane Archer is a relatively underpowered subclass already and nerfing GA like this would make the subclass a lot weaker, since GA is really the centerpeice of the subclass.
Although I never liked the thematic feel of how they made the subclass, I would not agree that is relatively underpowered. I would put it more someplace in the middle, TBH. After all, look at how two of them at level 20 stand a decent chance to defeat Vecna. ;)

And GA was never a key power for them IMO, either.

But, to the point of your build, you've invested heavily to get the combo, so I think allowing it would be the right thing personally.

Oofta

Legend
This is not true, it does not require the enemy using his movement. Forced movement moves someone and does damage the first time it happens on a turn, assuming it is more than 1 foot. JC clarified this.

This gets confused with booming blade which requires "willingly moves" and would not be affected if something is being moved.
I gave my ruling.

Grasping Arrow: The creature hit by the arrow takes an extra 2d6 poison damage, its speed is reduced by 10 feet, and it takes 2d6 slashing damage the first time on each turn it moves 1 foot or more without teleporting.

The key phrase is "it moves" which I interpret as not being forced movement. Feel free to disagree. 🤷‍♂️

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I get that argument, but it really nerfs things like spike growth and grasping arrow and takes them from being among the best abilities of their level/tier to being mediocre. I think the RAW is pretty clear though, forced movement causes damage on those sorts of things unless something in the text says it doesn't or refers to the enemy using their movement.

Arcane Archer is a relatively underpowered subclass already and nerfing GA like this would make the subclass a lot weaker, since GA is really the centerpiece of the subclass.
At the very least, you are receiving a number of arguments that presumably your DM might throw at you, so this thread is allowing you to put your defense together when you talk to them about it. Best of luck!

Remove ads