• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great Dragon War Cry: Misprint?

Zurai

First Post
I was making a Joan of Arc build last night for fun and came across an oddity in the Warlord's power list.

Great Dragon War Cry is a level 23 Encounter power that, in addition to dealing damage and weakening the enemy for a round (fairly standard stuff), also gives a buff to your entire party until the end of the encounter (+Warlord's Cha to hit vs weakened enemies) if you're the right Warlord build. As far as I can tell, this is unique. Usually Encounter powers last until the end of your next turn. It usually takes a Daily power to last for the entire encounter.

Note that it isn't even "against this target, if it's weakened". It's "against weakened enemies". You could blow the power on a minion and still have it affect the BBEG for the entire encounter, assuming someone could keep him weakened. On top of that, the magnitude of the bonus is going to be huge - +5-6 at an absolute minimum. That's enough to make even the really big boys sit up and listen. And it's not like Weakened is a weak condition, either.

Anyway, am I crazy in thinking this is probably a mistake of some sort, that it should be "until end of your next turn" like every other Encounter power?

BTW, here's the Joan of Arc build, for the curious...[sblock=Joan of Arc]Joan of Arc
Female Human Warlord 30 (Justiciar, Demigod)

Str: 28 (+9)
Con: 16 (+3)
Dex: 10 (+0)
Int: 15 (+2)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Cha: 24 (+7)

Hit Points: 188 Bloodied: 94
Healing Surge: 50 Surges per day: 10
Initiative: +28 (roll twice, take better) Speed: 6
Perception: 32 Insight: 32
Action Points: 1

AC 48 Fortitude 42 Reflex 36 Will 40; +1 vs non-melee

Basic Melee Attack: +33 Damage: 2d8+9

Skills:
Code:
Athletics		+31 (5 Trained, +15 Level, +9 Strength, +6 Item -4 ACP)
Diplomacy		+27 (5 Trained, +15 Level, +7 Charisma)
Endurance		+25 (5 Trained, +15 Level, +3 Constitution, +6 Item, -4 ACP)
Heal			+21 (5 Trained, +15 Level, +1 Wisdom)
History			+22 (5 Trained, +15 Level, +2 Intelligence)
Religion		+22 (5 Trained, +15 Level, +2 Intelligence)

Feats:
Toughness
Armor Proficiency: Scale
Shield Proficiency: Heavy
Inspired Recovery
Soldier of the Faith
Combat Commander
Mettle
Action Surge
Human Perserverance
Armor Proficiency: Plate
Armor Specialization: Plate
Improved Initiative
Mounted Combat
Action Recovery
Danger Sense
Combat Anticipation
Novice Power
Acolyte Power
Adept Power

Languages:
Common

Class and Racial abilities:
Combat Leader
Inspiring Presence
Inspiring Word
Just Action
Just Spirit
Just Shelter
Divine Spark
Divine Recovery
Divine Miracle

Powers:
Furious Smash (At-Will Attack, Standard Melee, +33 vs Fortitude, Str damage to target + buff ally)
Viper's Strike (At-Will Attack, Standard Melee, +33 vs AC, Normal damage + OA if target shifts)
Wolf Pack Tactics (At-Will Attack, Standard Melee, +33 vs AC, Normal damage + ally shifts)

Great Dragon War Cry (Encounter Attack, Standard Melee, +33 vs AC, Moderate damage + target weakened + allies get +7 to hit weakened targets for encounter)
Battle On (Encounter Attack, Standard Melee, +33 vs AC, Moderate damage + allies makes save at +7)
Deific Vengeance (Encounter Attack, Immediate Reaction Ranged 20, +30 vs Fortitude, Strong damage + target weakened after being attacked)
Just Radiance (Encounter Attack (Paragon), Standard Close Burst 5, +28 vs Will, Normal damage + targets must attack you; targets must be marked by you)

Victory Surge (Daily Attack, Standard Melee, +33 vs AC, Normal damage + allies can follow standard action with basic attack; sustain minor)
Stand Invincible (Daily Attack, Standard Melee, +33 vs AC, Extreme damage + you and all nearby allies gain +4 defenses and resist 5 damage; sustain minor)
One Stands Alone (Daily Attack, Standard Close Burst 1, +28 vs Will, Moderate damage + weakened until save; must not have nearby allies)
Challenge the Unjust (Daily Attack, Standard Close Burst 10, +28 vs Will, Moderate damage + target is marked)

Inspiring Word (Encounter Utility, Minor Close Burst 15, You or ally can use healing surge + 6d6; 3/encounter, 1/round)
Shake It Off (Encounter Utility, Minor Ranged 10, You or ally makes save at +7)
Warlord's Banner (Encounter Utility, Standard Close Burst 5, Allies can use a healing surge and get +2 to attack rolls)
Wrath of the Gods (Daily Utility, Minor Close Burst 1, You and adjacent allies add +7 to damage for encounter)
Defensive Rally (Daily Utility, Standard Close Burst 5, Allies can use a healing surge, save, and get +2 defenses)
Heroic Surge (Daily Utility, Immediate Reaction Close Burst 5, You and allies can use a healing surge after being hit)
Strike Me Instead (Daily Utility (Paragon), Immediate Interrupt Close Burst 5, Enemy's attack misses all allies but automatically hits you)
Divine Regeneration (Daily Utility (Epic), Minor Personal, You gain regeneration 28 for encounter)

Equipment:
Dwarven Godplate +6
Holy Avenger Longsword +6
Guardian Heavy Shield (Heroic)
Battlestrider Greaves
Gloves of Piercing
Cloak of Resistance +6
Ring of Protection
Ring of Regeneration
Dynamic Belt +6
Ioun Stone of True Sight[/sblock]

Last edited:

The missing language should be "French". ;)

I think the power works as intended, since it is still very situational - you need someone to weaken the target. I might be wrong, but this status effect is not necessarily common or long lasting.

Most daily powers that last an encounter work unconditional (assuming you hit).

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yes, as far as I've seen, warlocks and maybe rogues are the only characters with access to any significant number of Weaken effects. Those are all encounters or dailies, and usually only last one round or until save. You'd be lucky to have even 2 or 3 weakening powers in the rest of your party, I'd say, and those have to hit, so I'd say you shouldn't expect more than about 6 rounds of extra accuracy. Which is pretty good against a solo, but it's the sort of bonus you need against solos. (I think. Haven't had a chance to fight one yet.)

Last edited:

Surgoshan

First Post
Yeah, it's "against weakened enemies" which means your party will have to keep the BBEG weakened, which is no mean feat*. So, no, it's not overpowered. Your party is guaranteed a bonus for one round, after that they have to start piling on debuffs of their own if they want to keep the bonus.

* Technically, it's not a feat at all. Only powers can do that. Oh, I'm such a wit.

Zurai

First Post
Paladins actually have several as well, and all classes have at least one I believe.

The issue is that it's an Encounter power. You don't need to save it for the solo. You can get that +5-8 accuracy bonus for 6 rounds in every fight you ever fight once you get to that level.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Oh .. right. Forgot about the encounter power bit. But still, unless your party is built to dish out the weakness, it shouldn't be that big of a boost. You might get a round or two of extra accuracy against 2 or 3 monsters ... but for a usual group, I'd say that's about it.

Also: it is an epic tier power. Things get ridiculous in epic ;)

Ray of Enfeeblement, Wizard Encounter 1
Soul Flaying, Warlock(Infernal) Encounter 13

And of course the OP power. These are the only 3 powers in the PHB that cause it (possibly a few magic items? not sure on that). These all last until the end of the next turn(edit: don't know how encounter came out, I meant turn). I think if a party built itself around that one ability it has the ability to be pretty optimized, but if not I don't think its particularly game breaking.

edit #2: I guess my adobe search function was acting up? Ignore this post

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
Rith the Wanderer said:
hese are the only 3 powers in the PHB that cause it (possibly a few magic items? not sure on that).
No. Deific Vengeance, Enervating Smite, Just Action (which isn't even a power)... and those are just in the Paladin section. I'm sure there are others.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads