log in or register to remove this ad

 

GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD


log in or register to remove this ad

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: Queen's saving throw: (16) = Saved


The queen looks at Ordred with a burning hatred, and screams at him in Draconic.

Queen: "I am NOT some weak-minded simpleton for you to overpower! Come face me, Dwarf! Your kind is a red, ruddy wart on the rear-end of the world!"

SPHYNX: It is your turn! What do you do?
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Posting on behalf of Sphynx:

GM:
Sphynx, Concentrate Check (Resist Pain)
DC 14
1d20+8 (-4) = 13+8 = 21; 21-4 = 17
(Success)
Sphynx Concentrate Check (Melee Casting)
DC 16
1d20+8 (-4) = 19+8 = 27; 27-4 = 23
(Success)
Damage: 4,2 = 6 pts. damage.


Sphynx has had enough; he is not angry, he is not frustrated, he simply comes to the decision that he should end this fight. He focuses his strength of will, to not only fight off the pain, but also to cast without distraction; he achieves both goals, and as his reward, two, bright blue shards slam into the Kobold Queen, dropping her to the ground in a heap. The battle is over!

Sphynx says nothing; he does not feel angry, nor sad, nor joyful, nor excited. To him, the Kobold Queen is just a number, just another entry in his daily diary, just someone who got in his way. Now she was a memory, a thing of the past, a thing to be quickly forgotten.

Before anyone can get a word in edge-wise, Hawke quickly steps into the next room and kills the Kobold who was cowering; there is no avarice, just pragmatism. It's easier to put him down, as a precaution. The blow is quick and merciful, the result immediate. The Chief, his Queen, and his Elite Guard are all dead. All that remains is the practical matter of collecting the spoils.

EVERYONE: Combat has ended! Please go to LINE chat and state your intentions.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
SIDENOTE: In the first few moments after the fight, while the party is catching their breath, and looking around for further threats, the rest of the injured Kobolds, along with the Chief's Dire Wolf, bleed out and die.

As this happens, a strange thing occurs: the body of the Chieftain changes form, to reveal a dead, Human male, with tribal markings! It is one of the Wendol tribesmen (not one of the EXACT ones, just a member of the tribe) that the party encountered earlier! And it suddenly dawns on everyone, that it is possible that this is happening among the other Humanoids as well; it would certainly explain the ability of the Wendol tribesmen to exert so much influence over these other Humanoids...
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke surveys the carnage after he has caught his breath, and after the party has gathered the spoils together. His eyes widen with amazement.

Hawke says, "Looks like we hit the jackpot. And the other Kobolds appear to have slept in, and not heard the raucous. It took us all a good ten minutes to gather this stuff, and we haven't seen hide nor hair of any other Kobolds yet. Let's tie these bigger pieces up into bundles, to make them easier to carry. If we run into trouble along the way, we can drop them if we need to."

GM:
TREASURE RECOVERED:

13 MW Rose Gold Spears
6 MW Rose Gold Machetes
6 MW SMALL Composite Short Bows Set For 12 STR
1 MW SMALL Composite Short Bow Set For 14 STR
120 Arrows (Normal Quality)
20 MW Arrows
==STAFF OF NERULL==
13 MW SMALL Suits of Leather Armor

2,023 Silver
164 Gold
289 Platinum
10,234 Copper

Chieftain's Necklace (Steel Chain w/ Big Ruby ("Log Roller" sized)
("Heart of the Dragon") w/ 1,500 gp.

2 Blue Potions
2 Pink Potions

Holy Symbol of Nerull (Silver Disc, 4" Diameter, on Golden Chain) w/ 800 gp.


13 Spears weigh: 39 lbs.
6 Machetes weigh: 18 lbs.
7 Shortbows weigh: 14 lbs.
13 Suits of MW Leather weigh: 104 lbs.

GM:
DM NOTE ON ENCUMBRANCE:
Back in Room #3 (where you met Ordred) there is a spool of leather cord, that would be sufficient to tie the weapons and armor into 4 big bundles (See the spoiler above). Hawke can carry the biggest (armor) bundle in one hand, propped on his shoulder. The other 3 bundles should be small and light enough for 1 character each to carry. These bundles can easily be dropped (as a free action) in the event of combat. This represents the bulk of the loot. Everything else will probably fit into the various haversacks that the party has.


Leather armor base cost (small) = 5 gp.
Masterwork = +150 gp.
=================================
Value of Kobold Masterwork Leather: 155 gp.
=================================

(13 MW SMALL Suits of Leather Armor = 2,015 gp. market value.)

===================================
Rose Gold Iron Ore, value per ounce: 15 gp.
===================================
Drogonspine spear head: 8" long, weighing 2 oz. per inch. (Thus, 8" spear head weighs 1 lb.)

Dragonspine machete blade: 12" long, weighing about 24 oz. (1.5 lbs.)

Normal weight of short sword (machete): 2 lbs.
Normal weight of javelin: 2 lbs.

Weight of Rose Gold Machete: 3 lbs.
Weight of Rose Gold Spear: 3 lbs.

Rose Gold Spear Head value: 240 gp.
Rose Gold Machete Blade value: 360 gp.

Material cost will be figured into Masterwork cost for weaponry, with excess value applied at the end.

Masterwork weapons = base cost + 300 gp.

Small short sword base cost: 5 gp.
Small javelin base cost: 1 gp.
==============================
Value of Rose Gold Spear: 301 gp. (x13) = 3,913 gp. market value.
Value of Rose Gold Machete:
365 gp. (x6) = 2,190 gp. market value.
==============================

Comp. Shortbow = 75 gp. (MED) / 50 gp. (SM) = 350 gp. each.
(x7) = 2,450 gp. market value.
20 MW Arrows = 140 gp.

You can likely get between 60 and 70 percent of these amounts from a merchant; perhaps more from Sir Walter, if you're willing to wait.

EVERYONE: What do you do now? Experience award is coming next, but until it is posted, now is the time for the party to discuss their next move; do you want to leave now, with the loot you have, or stay, and deal with the rest of the tribe first?
 
Last edited:

Aust Thale

Explorer
Quixt, after retrieving bow:
“When we decide to leave, I have magical scrolls to assist carrying our treasure from this place, should we need them.”

He is wary of staying too long, although if this place could be secured, he’d be fine resting here. The cave is cool inside compared to the arid sun outside. He’d be fine not returning to the Keep just yet. However, he’s amiable to the others’ suggestions.

He’d like to find the others he was supposed to meet. Were they to have met a foul end, he thought there might be an item or two of value to retrieve.
 


narayan

Explorer
Ordred grits his teeth breathing in halted, shallow breaths as his eyes flick between the slain Kobolds hatefully. ~Curse these overgrown lizards!~ Ordred is unaccustomed to falling in battle so swiftly. The damage to his pride and his ego easily outweighs the lingering paid in his abdomen. ~It is the power of Nerull that nearly overwhelmed us, not these vermin!~ He rationalizes, glancing down at his ruined prized Mithril breastplate smeared in his own blood, as are his hands where they clutched at the spear that impaled him. -speaking dwarven- "Wherrre in the hells am I going to find a smith qualified to rrrepairrr this?!" He mutters, clenching his jaw pouring some clean water out of his waterskin to wash his blood off his hands.

Hawke says, "Looks like we hit the jackpot. And the other Kobolds appear to have slept in, and not heard the raucous. It took us all a good ten minutes to gather this stuff, and we haven't seen hide nor hair of any other Kobolds yet. Let's tie these bigger pieces up into bundles, to make them easier to carry. If we run into trouble along the way, we can drop them if we need to."
Quixt, after retrieving bow:
“When we decide to leave, I have magical scrolls to assist carrying our treasure from this place, should we need them.”
-speaking common- "Aye it's a good haul. I haft a bag of holding I can rrre purrrpose for some of it." Ordred says moving to stand beside Quixt. "Thank you for saving my life." He states appreciatively reaching up to clasp the humans shoulder. "I will not forget it."

Ordred moves around the corpses and stands near the fallen Wendol, formally the chieften, kneeling down grimacing as he examines the Wendol closely with an expression of mixed fascination and revulsion. Several moments of contemplation pass as the dwarf ponders many uncomfortable questions. In truth he is so lost in thought he seemingly ignores the others collecting the loot as if any present thought of reward is meaningless compared to what yet still has to be done.

After what is desired has been gathered, Sphynx offers, "I do not really want to trudge all the way back to that keep, but we should take our respite away from this active den. I am for either making camp in the woods or skirting around to the make use of the Ogre cave."
Finally Ordred speaks, to no one in particular but loud enough that everyone can hear.

-speaking common- "These Wendol are worrrse than the rrrumorrrs..." He says matter-of-factly. "...I shudderrr to think of what else they arrre capable of." His thoughts flick back towards the secret door he noticed earlier. "There is another doorrr, a secrrret door, behind us. Prrrobably theirrr den wherrre they keep theirrr young." He looks towards Hawke. "As you say the otherrrs haft not heard us, they may even be sleeping. We should finish them off! The staff and the unholy symbol of Nerrrull may not be the only items here we need to destroy."

Noting expressions of fatigue, doubt and/or disapproval Ordred continues growling. "Yes I have lost a lot of blood but my thinking is clear! We must finish what we starrrted. This nest does not seem to connect to otherrr cafes, forrr which I am grateful..." He adds with a short pause before continuing on with another thought. "What if it isn't just the Kobolds who haft been manipulated and corrrupted by the Wendol?"

Ordred looks around to each of the others, one of his eyes murky and clouded where the scars of his torture and captivity nearly cost him his sight. The unspoken message is clear. He cannot abide.

Ordred swallows. "I only came here for the rrrose gold, not as a perrrsonal crrrusade against efil rrraces. I will be glad to be away from this place and happierrr to haft something to show for it. And yet, the idea of turrrning my back on these caves and leaving the Wendol to theirrr wicked ways ways rrreally sticks in my craw!"
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Quixt:
To Ordred, watching him examine the Wendol / Chieftain, speaks to Ordred in a crisp, clean dwarvish borne of formal education, “You are most welcome; most ‘friends’ I have tend to be purchased. I’m most pleased to make one an honest way, that is, attending to you as a friend, not purchasing loyalty. I would imagine, given your bearing, you deliver as withering a blow as you take. If you don’t mind, I shall likely give you opportunities to return the favor? And perhaps share a pint and meal after the effort?

Quixt is sincere. He is capable of supreme guile, and it’s easy to sense that he would rather not share much information about himself. Not just yet. But in the wilds and in dungeons, getting from one moment to the next requires some trust, at least on an individual level. He’d keep one eye on his newfound mates, but he’d face injury or perhaps death himself to keep their company.

Ordred, do you need the other potion now? I do not need it. Or perhaps Hawke, Nimbar, or Sphynx would need it? And I think your bag of holding is a splendid notion. How much can it carry?

Quixt touches his belt, activating it singularly.
Instantly, his wounds from the kobold counter heal, leaving visible scars but otherwise with no evidence that he had been injured.
2d8=11 hit points restored.

If any of you want to heal up, I’ll provide this belt. All you need is a moment, and it will cure moderate or light wounds and injuries. If not, we should be about our way. “
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
As an afterthought, Hawke picks up the Kobold Chieftain's staff, and examines it.

Nimbar: "You damned fool! Put that down, it might be cursed!"

Hawke frowns, and tosses the staff into the adjacent room, where it lands unceremoniously with a muted clatter.

Hawke: "You worry too much, old friend. I didn't feel any magic when I picked it up. I'm not turning blue, nor am I shriveling away into nothing, like in the fairy tales. But if you're nervous about it, fine. I will leave it be."

Hawke and Nimbar both listen intently to Quixt's explanation of the healing belt, and as this is happening, no one notices as Sphynx quietly slips into the next room.

Sphynx, this is obviously the Chieftain's throne room; there is a wooden throne on the far eastern wall, adorned with skulls and feathers. There is a unlocked wooden chest, which Hawke has already opened a few minutes ago, when the spoils were being gathered. It occurs to you that the chest itself is of quality make, and that the chest would serve someone well, as soon as another padlock could be found for it.

Sphynx, you pick up the staff that Hawke discarded, and examine it closely. The markings are clearly of an evil origin, because the runes are interlaced with skulls, spiders, snakes, and other death-related imagery. It reminds you of the markings on some of the items owned by your previous captor.

GM:
Spellcraft check, DC: 20
Base Roll: 13
Skill Mod: +11 (no pain penalty for simply remembering facts. Pain penalty only applies to active skills, such as Concentration.)
Total Result: (24) = Success.


Sphynx, you can't explain why you know this, but it suddenly becomes clear to you that the staff is not truly a staff in the exact sense of the word, and that its destruction will end the painful spell effect; the staff is like a battery, and destroying it will cause the effect to cease immediately. Therefore, it is a simple decision, one that you make almost as an afterthought.

You break the staff over your knee, snapping it cleanly in two; the pain you feel as a result of the symbol ceases, and you breathe freely once more!

Suddenly, everyone who was affected by the symbol INSTANTLY becomes aware that the pain effect has ended! You can all breathe freely once more, and a heavy burden feels lifted off of your chests! As you are wondering how this could be, you notice Sphynx amble back into the room.

Nimbar asks, "What did you do?"

Sphynx; "I can't explain it, but when I picked up the staff, I could tell that it felt hastily enchanted, and cheaply made. When I held it, the pain seemed worse. So I broke it over my knee. And as I suspected, that was enough to destroy it, and to end the effect. No need to thank me."

Sphynx chuckles, because the look of astonishment on Nimbar's face is easily recognizable. Hawke chuckles as well.

Hawke: "See? Not only was it not cursed, but it was easily disposed of. Sphynx, I'm glad you had the sack to pick it up, and the foresight to see what needed to be done. Good job!"

GM:
The party has earned a story award!
Each character in the party receives 3,500 Xp. Pts.
NOTE: Don't level up yet. There are still more xp awards to be handed out.


EVERYONE: What other things need to be discussed?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: Note: For my character's personality he would not say, "No need to thank me." He is more of a "What's done is done." kind of guy.

As the up front fighters in the party have spoken their desire or understood need to satisfy themselves of the elimination of any further threat from the kobolds, despite their received injuries, Sphynx shakes his head calmly and gestures a pause. He begins speaking in Eryptian but switches to the common trade tongue when he realizes what he is doing.

"I do not know this Nerull or the term Wendol or even the one whom you serve, Ordred. The gods I know are old. Though I seem a mere adolescent in Elven terms, the fact that I age more slowly than even other Elves is not especially a blessing. It can be quite a burden. The gods I serve and served are old, maybe forgotten but life seems to cycle around. They are still there. I can feel them. I am somehow connected to the magic of this world. I can do things with it by my own design that seems to deny the accepted protocols."

"As for the kobold, I could go with you. I could eliminate them like some nest of young vermin for the likelihood of a beneficial, societal change in the species is nil, but I have gone that route before. Perhaps in some past life, perhaps I dreamed it, but that life ended with a 1001 years of my imprisonment on some war torn abyssal plane. You were in that dream as well, or nightmare as it was, my giant friend, but in it you served an Olympian not an Asgardian."

"If I have been given a second chance or some foresight, I wish to do things differently this time. It is for me to decide only for me. Go. Take to your task. I will wait here. If all goes well, we are favored. If it does not, I will aid you at the first sound of trouble."
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke looks quizzically at Sphynx, but says nothing; his mind is abuzz with Sphynx's last statement, and he can't think what to make of it. But he says nothing outwardly, because on some instinctive level, he suspects that the young Elf is telling the truth. Befriending him did seem to come very naturally.

Hawke muses inwardly, in his own thoughts, ~Past life? Olympian Deities? We've known each other for a couple of weeks! 1,001 years of imprisonment? It doesn't seem likely... and yet... why does my chest feel so heavy? Why do my thoughts become so cloudy when I try to focus on what he said? Perhaps there is something to his claim after all? I need to have a talk with Nimbar. And with Sir Walter. These are strange days, and they seem to be getting even stranger, with every passing moment.~

After pausing for a few moments, seemingly deep in thought, Hawke snaps out of his reverie with a start.

Hawke (In Common): "I understand if you don't want to seek out the brood den. I'm nervous about it myself. But I believe we can prey upon their proclivity for cowardice. I think seeing the head of the Queen on the end of a spear will squash their resolve. She was by the far the fiercest one among them. We don't need to kill them. We simply need to scare them into submission. Get them to surrender. I think this can be done with very little bloodshed. These creatures are not the true force of malevolence here; the Wendol, they are the ones who need to be dealt with. We've already seen the depths of their depravity. The Zombie ceremony we witnessed really stuck with me; I can't get that image out of my head. If we kill the Wendol, the other Humanoid tribes will probably go back to bickering with each other, and become far less of a threat to this region. But first things first: let's deal with the Kobolds. Once the Kobolds are out of the picture, the Wendol's influence will be weakened. I don't care where they flee to, as long as they are no longer allies of the Wendol."

Nimbar nods, "Hawke is right, we should find the den. And if these Kobolds are anything like the ones in our homeland, they are not only cowardly, but honorable as well; they follow a code, even if that code is savage and immoral by our standards. If they give their word, they will keep it. If they surrender and agree to flee far away in return for sparing their lives, then they will do that;

But first, let's make use of the belt that Quixt mentioned, and of any potions that anyone might have to spare. There are also four potions among the Chieftain's belongings. And though we can't be certain, it's almost assured that the two blue ones are some sort of healing elixirs. Blue is a common color for healing salves."


EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke decides to test one of the blue potions on himself. He opens the vial, and downs it, and moments later, a smile spreads across his face.

Hawke says, "You were right. I feel much better. Not completely refreshed, but much better."

GM:
Hawke is seriously injured (19 pts.)
Healing: 1d8+5 = (6)
Hawke is healed for 6 pts.
Hawke is still significantly injured (13 pts.)


Nimbar nods, "Aye, then do you want the other one?"

Hawke shakes his head, "Nah, give it to Ordred. He needs it more."

Hawke looks around the room, and then up at the ceiling, as if pondering some unknown set of options.

Hawke says, "Since we do have wounded companions to consider, I propose that Quixt and I scout ahead, and get a good look at the den, instead of dragging everyone along. Then we can re-assess our situation. What say you, Quixt?"

GM: Posting on behalf of Quixt, as per text message agreement.


Quixt nods his head, "I'm in. I'll take the lead, though, if you don't mind."

Hawke nods in agreement, and the two proceed back down the hallway, turn south, and back to the point where the secret door was noticed.

GM: Quixt Spot check: 26, success.


Quixt whispers, "Here it is, the latch is here, in the corner."

Quixt pulls on the latch, and the secret door grinds softly open. A foul odor wafts into the hallway, that smells of urine and sweat. The soft sounds of snoring can be heard, coming from the end of the hallway.

Hawke whispers, "I'm a bull in a china shop. I'll stay here, but if I hear trouble, I'll come a' runnning."

GM:
Quixt skill checks:
Move Silent: 27,13,11
Search: 17,24,12


Quixt quietly proceeds down the hallway, checking for traps as he does so; it occurs to him as he is nearing the far end, that this corridor would be a bad place for the placement of a snare, because young ones probably travel this way frequently. His suspicions are confirmed by the fact that nary a trap is found.

GM:
Kobolds' Listen Check: Base 16; Sleeping -10 = (6); FAILED.
The Kobolds fail to hear Quixt's approach.


There is no door to this room, merely a roughly hewn doorway. This large room is the source of the foul odor (though not nearly as foul as the refuse room, located earlier) and it is easy to see why. Seventeen (17) male Kobolds, 23 females, and 8 younglings, are all piled together here, sleeping soundly. And all of the Kobolds, male, female, and youngling alike, are snoring with varying degrees of intensity.

Of the 17 males, three of them are wearing armor and carrying weapons, and are blatantly asleep at their post by the doorway. None of these armed Kobolds, nor any of the ones asleep, appear to be "elite"; all of them look to be of a similar size and weight as the first six who were "standing guard" by the pit at the entrance to the lair.

The Kobolds who are not armed are not wearing clothes at all, although many of them are keeping warm by wrapping themselves in tattered, soiled blankets. All of the younglings are wrapped in blankets, and many of those blankets are stained yellow; this is obviously the reason for the urine odor.

In the northwest corner of the room, is something you did not expect to see; a long, narrow forge, filled with burning embers! All along the front face of the forge are hooks, from which hang smithing tools, all made from Rose Gold Iron Ore. The forge is lit, although from the looks of it, it is currently just to keep the room warm for the sleeping Kobolds.

Along the north wall, and also in the southwest corner by the door, are racks of equipment; there are Kobold-made Rose Gold weapons (spears and machetes) but there are also many weapons and armor pieces of obvious Human manufacture, such as Studded Leather and Chain Shirts, Longswords, and Maces; many of the Human-made armor pieces have punctures and blood stains, indicating that they were taken by force. There are also digging tools made from Rose Gold Iron Ore, mostly pickaxes and shovels. Apparently, the Kobolds have plans to expand their tunnel system at some future point. Lastly, there are many bags, mostly cloth sacks, filled with unknown items; you doubt the wisdom of trying to dig around in them at this juncture.

At this point, your educated guess puts the time as about 4:00 pm; your party been inside the Kobold lair for about an hour (since around 3:00 pm.) There is still PLENTY of time to make plans, and/or exit the lair at this point, without being noticed. These Kobolds will likely remain asleep until sundown, which is in about two and a half hours from now (~6:30 pm.)

It crosses your mind that you could easily kill the three sleeping guards and remove their weapons; but for the sake of conserving time and energy you decide against it. At any rate, the remaining Kobolds, who are basically naked and defenseless except for three of their number, would pose no serious threat to the party. You decide that this information is worth imparting, so you quickly and quietly make your way back to Hawke's position, and then both of you return to the room where the party is waiting.

Quixt quickly explains what transpired to the rest of the party. He also provides them with a hastily drawn map:

O = Where we met Ordred.
F = Room where we fought the battle.
T = Throne room; it is actually 30 feet wide, 15 feet of it is off the edge of this map.
$ = Secret door.
S = The mass of sleeping Kobolds.
Red Thingy = The forge.
Green Thingies = The racks of equipment.

FCBD4A15-7ED3-4840-A9C9-85873D1BA5B1.jpeg

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 
Last edited:


MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
After listening to the discourse from Quixt on what was observed through the secret passageway, Sphynx stands to his feet, dusts himself, and asks of the group, "Do we want to gather that stuff? If the human mercenaries are running this valley, it may cause them a significant hit. Like you noticed, I think that gear belongs to them and they are using the Kobolds as labor. If so, how do you want to handle it?"
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Nimbar says, "I'd hardly call those deviant savages mercenaries. More zealots, than anything else. They follow that queen mother of theirs fanatically. And based on what we overheard the Kobolds talking about when we ambushed them in the Ogre Cave, the other Humanoids fear and obey her as well.

But yes, I agree, the Human equipment is probably being held for their use; it's too big for the Kobolds. From the way Quixt described it, with some of the pieces having punctures and blood stains, I'd say the Kobolds killed some Human caravan guards, or maybe even adventurers, and kept their gear for use by their Wendol allies.

I still like the idea of confronting the remaining Kobolds, and forcing them to surrender. If we can talk to them, perhaps we can show them how the Wendol have been manipulating them; they are likely to turn against the Wendol if we can prove that their Chieftain was murdered and replaced by an imposter."


Suddenly, Hawke Bursts Out With, "WAIT! I know what we need to do! If you murdered someone, and wanted to hide the body, and you needed to act quickly and hide it somewhere nearby, where IN THIS CAVE SYSTEM would you hide it?"

Nimbar grins, snapping his fingers, "The refuse room where the rats are! And the little devils will eat the remains to boot!"
 
Last edited:

Aust Thale

Explorer
Quixt:
Aye. Perhaps we should investigate that room...and kill its inhabitants. And better, wake the kobolds and show them after we clear the room. Then propose a bargain. We kill the Wendol for them in exchange for the cave and its contents, save what they need in supplies to venture forth to their home. Certainly they do not wish to ally with these devils if to do so means to lose their king.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Suddenly, Hawke Bursts Out With, "WAIT!... where IN THIS CAVE SYSTEM would you hide it?"

Nimbar grins, snapping his fingers, "The refuse room where the rats are!..."
Quixt:
Aye. Perhaps we should investigate that room...and kill its inhabitants...
Sphynx replies to the others, "I agree, but a point to note, as I recall, Nimbar, said
he was out of magic, and I am running low. If it is just rats well... if not, I am not very competent for up front fight. Whatever may be in that room should be able to wait another day while we refresh
."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke says, "Quixt, I think I'll take you up on the offer of that belt, if you're still willing to share its powers. If we are discovered on our way to the Ogre Cave, I don't want to so beaten and bruised as I am now, when the fighting starts."

Quixt nods, and approaches Hawke. The belt allows its wielder to heal with but a touch; Quixt touches Hawke's shoulder, and positive energy surges through the warrior's body. Hawke feels much better, and many of the smaller bruises on his body fade away to nothing. Hawke nods, "Much better."

GM:
Hawke is significantly injured (13 pts.)
Healing: 2d8 = (9)
Hawke is healed for 9 pts.
Hawke is still slightly injured (4 pts.)


Nimbar points out, "On the way in, I noticed that the Ogre Cave looks just as we left it. I doubt he ventures out much, since the Goblins were always bringing him tribute. The cave will probably still be a good place to rest undisturbed; but I worry what will happen once the sleeping Kobolds wake up in a couple of hours, to find their Chief, their Queen, and their elite guards all slain; we are likely to see a swarm of activity; when we return to the Kobold lair, we'd best come ready for war."

The party, with the exception of Ordred, agrees to the plan; but seeing that he is out-voted, and seeing that there is safety in numbers, Ordred comes along with the party. His sole consolation being that the next incursion into the Kobold lair will probably be very bloody.

GM: ORDRED: You have been AFK for 5 days. I didn't want to agree for you, so I assumed that you dissented, but I also assumed you would stick with the party, for the sake of expedience.


The party gathers the loot, and makes their way out of the lair. The "Chieftain" is left as he lies, his headband of rulership still on his head, so that the Kobolds might be able to piece together what happened, once they wake up. The creatures are cowardly and cruel, but they are by no means ignorant or slow-witted; Nimbar says that there is a good chance that the creatures WILL figure it out. Nimbar says, "That is our best hope. If they turn against the Wendol, maybe the two sides will kill each other."

The party is able to make it to the Ogre Cave un-detected; apparently, the other Humanoid tribes are still dreaming, and the Wendol are still rapt in their religious fervor.

GM:
Current Date: Planting 2, CY 576
Current Time (Safe in Ogre Cave): 4:25 pm.
Sundown: 6:30 pm.


GM:
Rest Time Math:
Party will rest for 10 hours.
Each of the 5 party members will stand a 2 hour watch; that means each party member will get 8 hrs. rest.
In ten hours, the time will be: Planting 3, CY 576, 2:25 AM.
Random roll: First Kobold will wake up at +/- 10-60 mins before or after sundown; afterwards, all Kobolds will be considered to be awake.
First Roll: Lazy or not? (1d8; 1-4 BEFORE Sundown, 5-8 AFTER Sundown): (5) = Lazy.
Second Roll: 1d6x10 = (3) = 30 minutes. So the first Kobold to wake up does so at 7:00 pm. All of the other Kobolds wake up between 7:00 and 7:30 pm.
None of the Kobolds leave the Brood Den until 8:00 pm. This is the first opportunity for them to discover what has transpired.
The party is ASSURED of at least 3.5 hours of uninterrupted rest.

Checks: (1 in 1d10):
Checks are made every 90 minutes, starting at 8:30 pm.
08:30 pm = (7)
10:00 pm = (9)
11:30 pm = (9)
01:00 am = (10)
02:30 am = (5)

No one thinks to check the Ogre Cave. The party completes their rest time.

Who is on watch when the Kobolds make their discovery? (1d10)
01-02 = Hawke
03-04 = Nimbar
05-06 = Sphynx
07-08 = Ordred
09-10 = Quixt

(4) = Nimbar is on watch.

Nimbar hears shouting voices on the wind, beginning at about 8:15 pm. It is very faint and distant, probably because the voices are in the lair, not out in the ravine. The shouting lasts only a few moments, and then falls silent. The voices aren't loud enough to be heard by the sleeping party members; and the silence afterwards "speaks" to Nimbar that perhaps a conflict is coming. When Sphynx gets up for his watch, Nimbar tells him about it.

A little while later, around 11:15 pm, voices shouting to each other in Eryptian can be heard in the ravine. It is near the end of Sphynx's watch. Sphynx understands what is being said.

Wendol #1: "What happened? Did they resist?"

Wendol #2: "They said we murdered their Chieftain. We told them he gave his life willingly to Nerull. They didn't believe us. So we did what we had to do."

Wendol #1: "Any wounded?"

Wendol #2: "No, without their leadership, they were easy to squash."

Wendol #1: "Good. If they could not serve Nerull in life, they will serve him in death. Come back inside, the Queen Mother wants to hear you tell of it personally."

EVERYONE: Make a Listen check, DC 5. But you have a -10 to your roll, because you are asleep. If you hear the noise, you can wake up. If you wake up, and can speak Eryptian, feel free to click the spoiler above. Waking up briefly because of this noise will NOT count as an interruption to your rest, unless you choose to take actions that require more effort than talking. Otherwise, you can discuss it if needbe, and then go back to sleep, if you so desire.
 

COMING SOON: 5 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top