GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
THE JOURNEY BACK TO THE KEEP:

GM:
Defeated in combat:
4 Nomads, 11 Kobolds, 4 Hobgoblins.
XP Total: 5,700
Divided By Three: 1,900 xp. to each party member for combat valor.

Story Award: Gather enough Rose Gold Iron Ore from Kobold Weaponry to fulfill Sir Walter's purpose: +750 each character.

Roleplaying bonus:
+750 each character.

TOTAL XP AWARD PER CHARACTER: 3,400 xp.

Bonus XP for Sphynx:

Idea to pick up Kobold bodies: +500 xp.

GM:
Treasure recovered from bodies:
210 silver pieces.
75 gold pieces.
3 more suits of Masterwork, Kobold-sized Leather Armor (Total: 7)
3 more Masterwork Rose Gold Machetes (same stats as Short Sword) (Total: 7)
6 more Masterwork Rose Gold Spears (same stats as Javelin) (Total: 14)

GM:
Chance for random encounters while waiting on the party (Camels): 1 in 10.
One check every 4 hours. Time between party arrival and current departure time: 29 hours. (7 checks): 10,7,8,6,8,5,5. (No encounters.)

It is 9:00 PM when the party decides to return to the keep.
It takes 9.5 hours to reach the Keep from here.
It will take 15 minutes to bundle up the captured gear into a single "bunch" that can easily be carried by Hawke (by hefting it with one arm onto his shoulder.) Once the party reaches the camels, the bundle can be added to the camel's pack without difficulty.

The party will reach the Keep at 6:45 am on the following day
(Coldeven 21, CY 576.)

On the journey back, Hawke makes a comment.

Hawke says, "You know, these camels were lucky to rest undisturbed for so many hours with no one to attend them. Next time, we might not be so lucky. When we return, it might wise to hire some guards to come with us, and stay with the animals. What say you?"

Nimbar agrees, "Agreed, I don't think it's a very dangerous job, since we hide them so well, and so far away from the ravine. I don't think we will have a problem finding someone willing to do it. What are your thoughts, Sphynx? I'd bet we could could hire some guards for no more than 3 silver per guard per day, plus provisions. I think it would be worth it to have the animals protected."

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx swished his mouth back and forth, thinking. "I understand the logic, but I fear the end result may be the same either way. Ah, we should hire the guards and then leave the camels with them a few hours walk from the ravine, to travel in on foot. I would rather our presence remain less obvious to the denizens of the ravine."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
DM SUPPLEMENTAL POST:

GM:
3 more suits of Masterwork, Kobold-sized Leather Armor (Total: 7)
3 more Masterwork Rose Gold Machetes (same stats as Short Sword) (Total: 7)
6 more Masterwork Rose Gold Spears (same stats as Javelin) (Total: 14)

Leather armor base cost (small) = 5 gp.

Masterwork = +150 gp.

=================================
Value of Kobold Masterwork Leather: 155 gp.
=================================

===================================
Rose Gold Iron Ore, value per ounce: 15 gp.
===================================

Drogonspine spear head: 8" long, weighing 2 oz. per inch. (Thus, 8" spear head weighs 1 lb.)

Dragonspine machete blade: 12" long, weighing about 24 oz. (1.5 lbs.)

Rose Gold Spear Head value: 240 gp.
Rose Gold Machete Blade value: 360 gp.

Material cost will be figured into Masterwork cost for weaponry, with excess value applied at the end.

Masterwork weapons = base cost + 300 gp.
Small short sword base cost: 5 gp.
Small javelin base cost: 1 gp.

==============================
Value of Rose Gold Spear: 301 gp.
Value of Rose Gold Machete: 365 gp.
==============================

Totals: (Market Value):

Armor: 155 x 7 = 1,085 gp.
Machetes: 365 x 7 = 2,555 gp.
Spears: 301 x 8 = 2,408 gp.
(There are actually 14, but Sir Walter was promised 6 of them.)

GRAND TOTAL: 6,048 gp. value.

You can likely get between 60 and 70 percent of this amount from a merchant. (between 3,628 and 4,233); perhaps more from Sir Walter, if you're willing to wait.

GM:

DM CLARIFICATION:

I am basically offering the party a way to pay a "maintenance fee" for animal security; no matter where you actually place your mounts, they have a random chance of being stolen or eaten by a passing monster or NPC; but if you agree to the cost, I will skip the encounter checks, and simply assume that the animals are safe. Basically, it amounts to a 2gp. per day "fee," (1 gp. per day for 3 guards, 1 gp. per day for their provisioning,) which will also serve to improve your reputation in the region, since that will make you an "active employer."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Downtime Activities:
4 days x new level attained (4th level) = 16 days downtime.
Under 10th level = characters can be "self-taught," i.e., no mentor needed.
Cost of Inn Room for 16 days: 5 sp. per night x 16 = 80 silver = 8 gold.
(x3 chars: 24 gold.)
Cost of meals for 16 days: 2 sp. per meal, 3 meals per day = 6 sp. per day = 6 x 16 = 96 sp. = 10 gold (with a 4 sp. tip.)
(x3 chars: 30 gold.) (12 sp. worth of tips given.)
The waitresses appreciate the party's generosity, and propensity for paying for everything in advance. (+1 Party Reputation)

Scribing Info: (Nimbar): 75 gp. / 6 xp. / 1 day down = 2nd level scroll.
Researching New Spell: 1 week per spell level. 1,000 gp. cost per week.
Spellcraft check: DC 10 + Spell Level.
(2nd Level Spell = 2 weeks / 2,000 gp. / DC 12)

Diplomacy (Obtaining good market price) vs. Merchant.
Nimbar's Diplomacy: +7 (Minimum 8, Maximum 27)
Merchant will give Nimbar 50% of market value, plus 1% per point of success achieved. Merchant begins transaction as Indifferent. If Nimbar hits DC 15 (Friendly) there will be a 5% bonus. If Nimbar hits DC 20 (Helpful) there will be another 5% bonus. Nimbar's minimum roll (1) will give the party 58% of market value. Nimbar's best roll will give the party 82% of market value. (77% + 5% for achievement of Friendly DC. Nimbar isn't skilled enough to reach DC 30 yet.)

Hawke (Aid Another) DC 10 = (20) Success. Nimbar gets +2 to his check.
Sphynx (Aid Another) DC 10 = (11) Success. Nimbar gets +2 to his check.

Helpful (DC 30) attitude is now possible.

Nimbar's skill check (1d20+11) = (15) = Success (65%) + 5% Friendly bonus = 70%

6048 x 0.70 = 4,233 gp. and 6 sp.

Each character receives 1,411 gp. and 2 sp. as his share of the sale.

+3 to Party Reputation. (Total Reputation = +4)

During the downtime, Nimbar discovers that the loan bank (building #11 on the map) not only lends money and sells safe deposit boxes, but that they also sell various merchandise (leftover from people who didn't pay their safe deposit fees on time); among the things that they offer for sale, are a pile of books on various topics. For 10 gp., Nimbar picks up a book entitled, "Baerghum's Theory of Relative Dynamics as Applied to Force-Based Enchantments." He looks very pleased with himself when he joins the group back at the tavern for lunch.

Nimbar says, "Ok, Tellerian, so I need some gold. I don't have quite enough. I need to borrow 589 gold pieces, which will allow me to buy enough premium velum from the provisioner to finish a project I've been working on. I promise you it will help us on our current venture! You see, this book that I just bought has information within it, on how to improve the casting of certain spells, and by the time I get through reading it, I should be able to cast a more powerful version of my shield spell, which in turn, will keep me safer for longer, and--"

Hawke interrupts Nimbar: "ENOUGH! I'll give you the dang gold, but please shut up about what it's for before my ears start to bleed!"Hawke says, jokingly, with a smile. "You know, before long, I'm going to own you like an indentured servant! If I give you 589 gold, that will bring the total that you owe me to 780!! You'd better make good on it, old pal!"

After agreeing to give him the gold to buy vellum, the party does not see Nimbar for the better part of two weeks. Every morning, Nimbar rents a private room to study in, and only shows his face for meals and bedtime. At the end of the two weeks, Nimbar is proud to show off his newly completed spell, which he calls Nimbar's Improved Shield.

GM:
14 Days downtime. 2.000 gp. cost. DC 12 for 2nd level spell.
Nimbar's Spellcraft check: 1d20+12. Minimum result =13.
(Cannot fail this roll.)

Feel free to state what your character does during this downtime. If you need help, feel free to ask me anything in LINE chat.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DM Supplemental Post:
Hawke also loans Nimbar an additional 150 gp. that he says need not be paid back, so that Nimbar can use his last two days of downtime to scribe 2 scrolls. Nimbar will scribe 2 scroll copies of his new Improved Shield spell, so that he can free up spell slots for other uses.

Nimbar will spend 12 xp. from his magic pool, in order to scribe the two scrolls.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
During the downtime, Hawke manages to befriend the captain of the guard, a man by the name of Emil Al'Tabar, a renowned warrior who dual wields as Hawke does, using a saber and main gauche dagger. Every day, just after breakfast, Hawke watches as Emil calls the guardsmen to order, and issues their daily assignments. Afterwards, he and Emil spar for the better part of an hour, the result being that Emil usually gets the better of Hawke. Despite Hawke's size and strength, Emil is still faster, and obviously, far more experienced. He shows Hawke many flaws in his counterstroke technique, and helps him practice to overcome them.

At one point, the two guards whom had initially vowed to keep an eye on the party out of spite, realize the error of their ways, and seem to forget their grudge. You surmise that it is a mixture of the party's growing reputation, Hawke's newfound friendship with Emil, and Hawke's demonstrated prowess during the sparring sessions; although Emil is the superior fighter, there is no doubt that Hawke is himself competent, and well-trained.

At one point, Hawke asks Sphynx, "I know darts are more your thing, would you like to throw for pints? A pint per game? It's a lot better use of the dart than picking your teeth, ha ha."

Until his jest gets a response, Hawke returns to his sparring session with Emil. If the reply is positive, Hawke's mood will improve greatly, due to the fact that he is the "happy drunk" kind of drinker, and because his self-control is quite low when it comes to good ale, no matter who's buying.

GM:
At this point, the party is ready to re-provision and return to the caves. However, I am still waiting on responses (via LINE chat) on whether or not the other two players have finished their characters. I am giving them until Thursday to be ready; if not, I will post sometime on Thursday and advance the storyline again.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
At one point, Hawke asks Sphynx, "I know darts are more your thing, would you like to throw for pints? A pint per game? It's a lot better use of the dart than picking your teeth, ha ha."
Sphynx laughs at the big man. "You're on! But, these things I wear are hunting darts. I do not think the tavern would appreciate us throwing things with a blade the length of my forearm. We will need to see if the tavern has some of their own. Who knows, perhaps we can take some money from the guards."

After it comes to the attention of Sphynx that he and his friends no longer have a constant shadow, he plies his own skill at espionage. He will take to cautiously following the guards that were following him, seeing if they have any patterns or anomalies to note. He also spends some time seeing if he can scale a building or two and move around the rooftops. When alone, if he happens upon small animals or birds, he will attempt to put them to sleep, having bastardized the magic from seeing Nimbar perform it.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
As it turns out, the tavern's darts, although significantly shorter than Sphynx's, are indeed bladed. The darts are about 5 inches long, with a double-edged blade, and a ring pommel.
4DC23EF1-C635-47F4-9639-9E22B2DC2804.jpeg
When it comes down to it, Sphynx is surprised to see that Hawke can hold his own in a throwing contest, although he still manages to edge Hawke out, winning 6 games out of 10. A pair of guards challenges Hawke and Sphynx to a team match, which ends badly for the guards, at a final score of 8 games out of 10 in the party's favor. The night's contest ends with Hawke and both of the guards totally smashed, after consuming copious amounts of Ale. Sphynx shows a bit more restraint, getting only a slight buzz, while still enjoying the competition.

Walking around during the evening, Sphynx decides not to climb any of the buildings; the parapet wall around the entire keep is a good 15 feet higher than most of the rooftops, allowing the guards a good view of anything going on inside the keep atop any of the rooftops, aside from the towers; however, the rooftop of each tower has its own personal guard on duty.

The guards that were previously agitated don't seem to have any abnormalities about their routines; in fact, they are pretty regular. You surmise that their quick tempers and grudge holding are a product of the boredom of their current lifestyle, given that the keep is well-guarded, very secure, and seldom challenged.

As for the animals, Sphynx is successful in putting 4 rats to sleep, which he discovers coming into the keep through a fist-sized hole that the rodents have dug under the south wall.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DM PREPATORY NOTES:

The party made it back to the keep on Coldeven 21, CY 576. They took 16 days of downtime. During the downtime, Growfest occurred; Growfest is the celebration of the beginning of planting season. Growfest is a 7-day festival, during which each night is a feast, using up the last of the previous winter's food stores; the idea is that planting is beginning, harvest will follow, and new food stores will be put up. Back home, the start of planting season is a rainy, muddy time, interspersed with cool, sunny days. Here in the desert, it's much hotter, although the river IS in the process of flooding its banks, delivering much-needed irrigation to the otherwise dry landscape.

The party re-provisions itself on the last day of downtime (Planting 1st.)

The party sets out back to the caves on Planting 2, CY 576, at 5:00 AM.

It takes 9.5 hours to reach the Keep from here.

The party will arrive at the ravine at 2:00 PM.

Most of the Humanoids will be in their caves at that point, but caution must be taken on behalf of the Human tribesmen who also live there; without question, they will be out and about in different areas, and in large numbers.

**STORYLINE POST COMING SOON.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases