log in or register to remove this ad

 

GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
NEW INITIATIVE COUNT:
(Sleeping Hobgoblins (S1-S4) still get their "turn" at initiative count 2.)

Sphynx: 21a (Because of readied action.)

-Hobgoblin Chief & Elites-: 21b
-Hobgoblins #3,#4,#5-: 21c

Nimbar: 18
Ordred: 15
Quixt: 12
Hawke: 7

More Hobgoblins (#6,#7,#8): 5
Sleeping Hobs: 2


GM:
INTENTIONS:
Sphynx: Magic Missile
Nimbar: Magic Missile
Ordred: Crossbow
Quixt: Coup De Grace
Hawke: Charge


Everyone hears one of the side doors to the southern room burst open! A commanding male voice shouts orders in the Goblin language! The Hobgoblin who speaks is not yet in view, but it is obvious to everyone who he must be: THE HOBGOBLIN CHIEF!

With the chief, there are four, heavily armored females, more than likely his royal guard! Whereas the other Hobgoblins you've fought so far were wearing studded leather, and using wooden shields, these Hobgoblins are all wearing full suits of chainmail, and carrying the larger, steel shields of professional soldiers! They also each carry a heavy crossbow!

Sphynx is able to get line of sight on Female #4, and he lets a Magic Missile fly!

GM: Damage: 9 pts. Female #4 is Moderately Wounded.


The missiles have their desired effect, but this Hobgoblin is more stout that those previously encountered; the female screams in pain, staggering back a step from so serious a shock to her system; however, she recovers quickly, kneeling to aim her crossbow!

Neither the chief, nor any of his other female guards have line of sight for missile fire, and none of them wish to expose themselves to the burning grease, so they delay their actions. Only Female #4 has line of sight this round. She cannot see Sphynx; the only person she can see is Nimbar, and he has 50% cover from the corner.

GM: Attack Roll: (5) = missed.


The shot she takes is taken too quickly, while she is frustrated and off-kilter. The big bolt is deflected by the corner of the wall, and skips away harmlessly.

Hobgoblins #3 and #4 also shoot their crossbows.

GM: Attack Rolls: (12,18) = Both missed.


The Hobgoblin guards, both of whom are concentrating their fire on Nimbar, prove unable to get past his magical protections; the bolts skip harmlessly off of Nimbar's mystical shielding.

Nimbar, whose spell is unfettered by things so mundane as making it around corners, flies straight and true, slamming into the female Hobgoblin!

GM: Damage: 8 pts. Female #4 has taken 17 pts. of damage; Female #4 is GRAVELY WOUNDED.


The female screams again, apparently VERY injured from the multiple spells, but somehow, she is still clinging to life, despite her predicament!

Kobold #2 said:
Kobold #2 (In Draconic): "He can't understand you. Speak in Goblin. Only the Gnolls and the Cave Mother can speak our language."
Remembering something one of the Kobolds had said earlier, Nimbar shouts to his friends in the Draconic language:

Nimbar shouts, in Draconic: "That's 2 out of 4 missile spells! But I have a few other options after that."

GM: Ordred crossbow attack: (13) = Missed.


Trying to follow up on Sphynx and Nimbar's effectiveness, Ordred fires a bolt at Female #4; but alas, the arrow flies high, missing her. Seeing that he could have a better field of view from the stairwell, Ordred moves forward slightly, directly in front of Nimbar.

Quixt takes a step forward (free, 1-square adjustment) and dispatches another Hobgoblin!

GM:
Coup De Grace:
Automatic Hit
Automatic Crit
Damage: (2d6+6) + 1d6 Sneak Attack = 16 pts.
Hobgoblin DIES. [-10]
Saving Throw is not necessary.


Using his short sword, Quixt makes short work of another sleeping Hobgoblin!

Knowing that there are enemies just out of sight in the southern roon, Hawke charges down the hallway, leaping over the burning grease, in a blind charge, attacking the first Hobgoblin he sees as he lands, which happens to be Female #2.

GM:
Charging distance: 45 ft.
Balance check x2 (DC 5) for running through two squares of stairs.
(Stairs are wide, long, and flat, not steep; thus, Balance DC is low.)
Check: (6,10) = Made it.
Jumping over the flaming grease requires a 15-ft forward jump. (DC 15)
Check: (22) = Made it.
Although Hawke lands next to the Chief, he cannot twist his body enough to attack him. He MUST attack the Hobgoblin in his forward front, which is Female #2.
Charge w/ Pounce Ability: 3 attacks at +11 each.
Hawke calls 5 points Power Attack.
Attack Rolls: (29,26,14) = (PA: 24,21,9) = Hit, Hit, Miss.
Damage: (12,9) = 21 pts.
Female #2 is down and dying. [-2]
Since Hawke did not actually RUN through square G15 (he was in mid-air), and since G15 clips the corner, the Hobgoblin Chief will have a 50% miss chance on his attack of opportunity: Attack roll (11) = Missed anyway.


As Hawke is in mid-air, the Hobgoblin Chief takes a swipe at him with his longsword, but the attack is not well-aimed, and it misses badly.

As Hawke lands, he calls upon his raw, brute power, slamming both hammers into his opponent. The big hammer crushes the female's left shoulder, and the smaller hammer slams into her ear, and cracks her skull! The elite guard crumples in a heap at Hawke's feet!

Just as this is happening, 3 more Hobgoblin guards arrive, although they are unable to attack this round, because they ran to get here!

GM:
Sleeping Hobs finish their second round of sleep.
Grease burns for round 3 of 3. (It will be completely out at the start of next round.)


Hob-Battle-001c.png

EVERYONE: What do you do? (State intentions.)
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx will move as close to the burning grease as possible and launch another barrage of magic missiles at the injured Hobgoblin.
 
Last edited:


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
NEW INITIATIVE COUNT:
(Sleeping Hobgoblins (S1-S4) still get their "turn" at initiative count 2.)

Sphynx: 21a (Because of readied action.)

-Hobgoblin Chief & Elites-: 21b
-Hobgoblins #3,#4,#5-: 21c

Nimbar: 18
Ordred: 15
Quixt: 12
MORE Hobgoblins! (#9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15): 10
Hawke: 7

More Hobgoblins (#6,#7,#8): 5
Sleeping Hobs: 2


By the time Sphynx begins to move, the grease is already out, and the residue on the floor is minimal, the grease having been expended. Seeing more enemies approaching from the south, Sphynx sees no need to move further than a single square. His new position is MORE than adequate for targeting, and his Magic Missile spell has plenty of range, even from here.

Sphynx splits the missiles in his spell, directing one at the gravely wounded female, and the other two at Hobgoblin #6.

GM:
Damage: Female #4 takes 3 pts. of damage. Female #4 is down and dying! [-1]
Damage: Hobgoblin #6 takes 9 pts. of damage. Hobgoblin #6 is down and dying! [-3]


This final missile is enough to knock the life out of the female Hobgoblin! She wails as the blue light smacks into her chest, and crumples to the ground, where she ceases to move!

The other two missiles smack into Hobgoblin #6, with the same result! Darkness instantly overtakes him as the surge of energy stops his heart, and fries his nervous system!

Hobgoblins 3,4, and 5 try to swarm Hawke! Hobgoblin #4 passes through Hawke's threatened squares, trying to get into flanking position! This provokes an attack of apportunity!

GM:
Hawke's AoO: (Still calling 5 pts. Power Attack from his last turn): 11 (Miss)


Hawke is not quick enough to take advantage of the Hobgoblin's carelessness, and finds himself surrounded!

GM:
Hawke's Normal AC: 18; Plus Shield of Faith: 20; He charged last round: 18.
Hobgoblins #4 and #5 have Flanking Bonus (+2) Total = 1d20+4 each.
Chief and Female #3 have Flanking Bonus (+2) Chief: 1d20+9, Female: 1d20+6
Female #1 and Hobgoblin #3 have normal attack chance. (No flanking.)
(1d20+4, 1d20+2)
Hobs 4 & 5: 15,5 = Miss,Miss
Female 3: 14 = Miss
Chief: 28 (28) = Crit! Damage: 17 pts.
Hawke's HP: 59 - 17 = 42. Hawke is MODERATELY WOUNDED.
Female 1: 16 = Miss
Hobgoblin 3: 21 (13) = Hit (No Crit); Damage = 2 pts.
Hawke's HP: 42 - 2 = 40. Hawke is still MODERATELY WOUNDED.


Although Hawke is a highly skilled warrior, and well-able to fend off most of his (by comparison) puny attackers, the Chief still manages to slip in a well-placed blow, giving Hawke a VERY BAD gash on his left leg! Hobgoblin #3 manages to score a hit as well, although the result is simply a minor blow, which damages Hawke's armor.

Nimbar moves forward 10 feet, just as the last, faint remnants of the light from the extinguished flames is fading. As part of his move action, he sets the lantern down in front of him, in his square, stepping on the edge of its base with his left foot. Since he is still touching the lantern, he is still able to see. Since Hawke is within 15 feet of the lantern, his Lowlight Vision still functions.

SPHYNX: Your Lowlight Vision no longer functions; however, you can still see the lantern's location, and it will only take a 1-square adjustment on your next turn to step within the lantern's range of effect, thereby restoring functionality to your vision; a minor inconvenience.

GM:
Damage from Nimbar's spell: 9 pts.
Female #3 is Moderately Wounded.


As Nimbar sets the lantern down, he points at Female #3, and slams her with three bolts! Just like her sisters, she wails in pain, as the spell shocks her system!

Ordred fires his crossbow at Female #3, trying to finish her off.

GM:
Attack Roll: (20) = Hits; Damage: 4 pts.
Female #3 has taken a total of 13 pts. of damage. Female #3 is SERIOUSLY WOUNDED.


Ordred's bolt pierces the female's chainmail shirt, just below her left shoulder. She winces in pain, but she does not fall.

GM:
Coup De Grace:
Automatic Hit
Automatic Crit
Damage: (2d6+6) + 1d6 Sneak Attack = 19 pts.
Hobgoblin DIES. [-13]
Saving Throw is not necessary.


Quixt dispatches the last sleeping Hobgoblin, and as he does so, he glances into the room. This looks to be a storeroom, much like the ones the Goblins had; Quixt wonders if the purpose of the secret door in the room the Goblins were using was to allow the Hobgoblins to steal their best foodstuffs... because the foodstuffs in this room are all actually high-quality food that Humans would normally have.

GM:
Hobgoblins #9 - #15 arrive; they do not attack this round, because they ran to get here.


More Hobgoblins come into view, at a full run! The party can tell that they're in for a LONG fight!

GM:
Hawke RAGES (Whirling Frenzy)
Hawke calls 3 pts. of Power Attack (3 att. @ +6 each.)
Primary: 1d8+7
Off-H: 1d4+3
Primary: 1d8+7
Attacks: (17,24,9) = Miss, Hit, Miss
Damage: 4 pts.
Female #3 has taken a total of 17 pts. damage.
Female #3 is GRAVELY WOUNDED.


Hawke splits his attacks between the Chief and his flanker, attacking the Chief twice with his primary weapon, and the female once with his off-hand weapon. The Chief proves to be an accomplished warrior in his own right, managing to block both of Hawke's attacks! However, the female is not so lucky!

A look of panic crosses her face, as Hawke's off-hand hammer smacks Female #3 in the chest, breaking two of her ribs! But somehow, she remains standing!

Hobgoblins #7 and #8 take pot shots at Nimbar!

GM:
Attack Rolls: (6,4) = Miss, Miss


The two bolts don't even get close to Nimbar; both of them fly high, probably the result of their reluctance to fire through the fray, possibly striking their friends.

GM:
The grease spell is out. The area is no longer greasy.
All of the sleeping Hobgoblins have been killed.


Hob-Battle-001d.png

EVERYONE: What now?
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Killed so far: 16 normal Hobgoblins, plus 2 elite females.
ENCOUNTER MATH:
CR 1
(x 8)
CR 2 (x 2)

AVG. PARTY LEVEL: 6+5+6+5+6 = 28 / 5 = 5.6 (round down) = 5th.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Remembering where Ordred was located, it should be a simple matter to take a step or two forward, even though he cannot currently see. After moving closer to the darkvision lantern and regaining his sight, he move to stand beside Ordred, taking some bone dust from a pouch and blowing it toward the pile of enemies surrounding Hawke.
OOC: Cast: Stun Opponent (2nd lvl version of sleep, max 8HD)
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Save DC: 18,
Affects up to 8HD.
6 HD worth of Hobgoblins are in range.
Save: 1d20-1 each.
Rolls = 14; 15; 9; 9; 17; 6 (All Failed.)


INITIATIVE COUNT:
Sphynx: 21a

-Hobgoblin Chief & Elites-: 21b

(-Sleeping Hobgoblins (#3,#5): 21c)
(-Bleeding / Dying Hobgoblin #6: 21c)

-Hobgoblin #4-: 21c

Nimbar: 18
Ordred: 15
Quixt: 12

-MORE Hobgoblins! (#11, #12, #13, #14, #15): 10a
-Sleeping Hobgoblins (#9,#10): 10b

Hawke: 7

-Sleeping Hobgoblins (#7,#8): 5

Sphynx's spell is quick, quiet, and effective; within a moment's time, six Hobgoblins drop to the floor, succumbing to a deep slumber!

GM:
Hawke's AC: 20.
Chief Attack Roll: (24) = Hit; 8 pts. damage.
Female #1 Attack Roll: (22) = Hit; 6 pts. damage.
Female #3 Attack Roll: (19) = Missed.
Hobgoblin #4 Attack Roll: (16) = Missed.

Sleeping Hobgoblins (#3,#5) finish one round of sleep.
Hobgoblin #6 continues to bleed [-4]

Hawke's Current HP: (40 out of 59) [Moderately Wounded]
Minus new damage: 40-14 = 26 HP remaining. [SERIOUSLY INJURED]


The Hobgoblins surrounding Hawke are relentless; they attack him from all sides, and he is able to parry some, dodge others, but two blows make it past his defenses. One is a slash to the throat, which Hawke narrowly dodges, but when he does so, he steps directly into the path of Female #1, whose sword gouges him in his left thigh!

GM:
Scorching Ray (2 Rays)
Ranged Touch Attack vs. AC 11:
Vs. Female #3: (Natural 1) = Missed!
Vs. Hobgoblin #4: (21) = Hits; Damage = 16 pts.
Hobgoblin #4 is DEAD! [-10]


Nimbar raises his index finger, causing two hot, flaming rays to spring forth; he loses his concentration, however, and the first ray fizzles out before reaching its target, the gravely wounded female!

However, his second target is not so fortunate; the Hobgoblin takes the full brunt of the blast, and the spell cooks him in an instant! He screams briefly, before dying horribly!

GM:
Concentration DC: 17
Concentration Roll: (28) = Success.
Ordred does NOT provoke an AoO for his spell.
Sacrifice 2nd Level Spell (Zone of Truth) for Cure spell. (2d8+4); 18 pts.
Hawke is healed for 18 pts.
Hawke's new hit pt. total: 44 out of 59 [Moderately Wounded]


Ordred, seeing that Hawke is in trouble, edges forward, keeping his shield between himself and the female Hobgoblin, as he casts from behind it, preventing her from spoiling the spell; the gouge in Hawke's leg seals instantly, and a few other scrapes and bruises also disappear! Hawke feels much better! He grins at Ordred, as the other Hobgoblins look on in despair.

Hawke grins, "Thanks, friend Ordred!"

Ordred returns the grin, but says nothing.

Hob-Battle-001e.png


QUIXT: It's your turn! What do you do?
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Quixt:
Turning and moving toward the rest of the party at a brisk walk, Quixt readies a spell from his memory, retrieving a piece of dried pork from his spell component pouch and pointing his left index finger toward the southern area of the room the hobgoblins are in, centered at near the spot that Sphynx cast his own spell. His intent is to make engaging Hawke and Ordred difficult from that area, hearing other hobgoblins approaching.

Moves to H19 (30') and casts Grease centered at G/H 11/12.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
INITIATIVE COUNT:
Sphynx: 21a

-Hobgoblin Chief & Elites-: 21b

(-Bleeding / Dying Hobgoblin #6: 21c)

-Hobgoblin #4-: 21c

Nimbar: 18
Ordred: 15
Quixt: 12

-MORE Hobgoblins! (#11, #12, #13, #14, #15): 10a

-Sleeping Hobgoblins (#3,#5,#7,#8,#9,#10): 10b [Consolidated for ease of record-keeping]

Hawke: 7

Quixt casts Grease.

Several of the newly-arrived Hobgoblins burst into the room, being careful not to tread upon their sleeping allies, and moving slowly enough to get past the greasy area. But instead of trying to wake their comrades, they choose to grab at the glory of a potential kill; Hobgoblins #11 and #12 train their crossbows on Ordred; Hobgoblins #13, #14, and #15 train their crossbows on Hawke. On the command of their squad leader (#11) all of them fire a volley!

All Hobgoblins make their DC 10 balance check.
Balance Check vs, Grease Spell: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19
1D20+1 = [14]+1 = 15
1D20+1 = [9]+1 = 10
1D20+1 = [19]+1 = 20
1D20+1 = [10]+1 = 11


Hawke's Normal AC: 18; with Shield of Faith: 20.
Ordred's Normal AC: 19.
Hobgoblins are firing into a melee; both Hawke & Ordred are considered to have cover (+4 AC.)
Hawke's adjusted AC: 24
Ordred's adjusted AC: 23

Hobgoblins 11 & 12: Both Miss (5,8)
Crossbow Attack Rolls vs. Ordred: 1D20+2 = [3]+2 = 5
1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8


Hobgoblins 13,14,&15: All three miss(16,20,11)
Crossbow Attack Rolls vs. Hawke: 1D20+2 = [14]+2 = 16
1D20+2 = [18]+2 = 20
1D20+2 = [9]+2 = 11

What the Hobgoblins had in strategic intent, they lacked sorely in execution; all 5 crossbow bolts miss their targets, as a result of the chaos of battle.

Sleeping Hobgoblins complete their first round of slumber.

Hawke still RAGING (Round 2) (Whirling Frenzy)
Hawke calls 3 pts. of Power Attack (3 att. @ +6 each.)
Primary: 1d8+7 (+10 PA)
Off-H: 1d4+3 (+6 PA)
Primary: 1d8+7 (+10 PA)

Attacks: (17,26,11) Middle attack = Possible Crit; Not a crit.
3 Melee Attacks w/ Whirling Frenzy and 3 pts. Power Attack.: 1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17
1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26
1D20+6 = [5]+6 = 11

Crit Confirmation Roll: 1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12


Light Warhammer with 3 pts. PA.: 1D4+6 = [3]+6 = 9

Hawke's first attack, aimed at the Chieftain, misses him by a hair, as the quick Hobgoblin is able to side-step just in the nick of time!

Hawke's second attack comes as he twists his body in order to attack the gravely wounded female; the light warhammer catches her on the crown of her head, cracking her skull with a sickening crunch!

GM:
Female #3 takes 9 pts. of damage. (Total damage so far: 26 pts.)
Female #3 goes down, and begins to bleed out. [-7]


As the other female blocks Hawke's last attack with her shield, there are tears in her eyes; unbeknownst to Hawke, the other female was this one's younger sister.

Hob-Battle-001f.png

SPHYNX: It's once again your turn! What do you do?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: With so much gap in the posting progression, I have lost the ambiance of the situation and lost track of the sequence of events, despite reading backward.

Seeing that the press of combatants seems to be thickening rather than thinning, Sphynx takes a direct magical assault on a standing opponent within his line of sight. Rolling his forearm like winding a small crank, he points at his target, sending forth shards of light.
OOC: Cast magic missile.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
INITIATIVE COUNT:
Sphynx: 21a

-Hobgoblin Chief & Elites-: 21b

(-Bleeding / Dying Hobgoblin #6: 21c)

Nimbar: 18
Ordred: 15
Quixt: 12

-MORE Hobgoblins! (#11, #12, #13, #14, #15): 10a

-Sleeping Hobgoblins (#3,#5,#7,#8,#9,#10): 10b [Consolidated for ease of record-keeping]

Hawke: 7

GM:
Sphynx's Damage: 3d4+3 = 15!!! Rolled max!! WOOT!
Female #1 has taken a total of 15 pts. damage.
Female #1 is Critically Injured!


Sphynx moves up to share the square with the lantern, so that he can get a better view of the battlefield. He spies the last remaining female Hobgoblin, and targets her for his wrath! Three, searing bolts of blue light slam into her, eliciting screams of pain!

The Hobgoblin Heiress gets a determined look in her eye, as she sets her shield to guard, and begins advancing toward Sphynx! Between the loss of her sister, and the agonizing pain that Sphynx was able to inflict with a single spell, she realizes that the battle is lost, but she plans to go down fighting!

GM:
Female #1 is fighting defensively. (-4 to hit, +2 to AC.) Total AC: 20.
Hawke gets an attack of opportunity!
Hawke is still raging.
Hawke is still calling 3 pts. of power attack.
Attack Roll: (14) = Missed!


The female Hobgoblin is careful to keep her shield between herself and Hawke, and manages to slip by the big brute the first time around! But she must continue to advance if she hopes to get within range of the spellcaster!

GM:
Female #1 is fighting defensively. (-4 to hit, +2 to AC.) Total AC: 20.
Ordred gets an attack of opportunity!
Attack Roll: (15) = Missed!


The female avoids Ordred's axe, finally moving into position, within striking range of Sphynx! She slices at him with a fury borne of desperation!

GM:
Female #1 Attack Roll: (2) = Missed!


Sphynx laughs at the clumsy beast, as he deftly sidesteps her clumsy stab! Her effort to avoid the fighters has cost her some of her maneuverability, and it is obvious.

GM:
Chieftain Attack Roll: (26) = Hit; (12) = Not a crit.
Damage: 4 pts.


The Chief swings his sword at Hawke, but the blow is poorly aimed, and fails to get through Hawke's leather. The force of the blow stings a bit, but Hawke is none the worse for wear.

GM:
Hawke has taken a total of 19 pts. of damage.
Hawke's new hit pt. total: 40 out of 59 [Moderately Wounded]


Hobgoblin #6 continues to bleed. [-5]
Female #3 continues to bleed. [-8]

GM:
Nimbar's Magic Missile Damage: 13 pts.


Nimbar says, "Lie down, turd!" as he raises his hand, and zaps the female Hobgoblin with the same spell that she suffered from Sphynx! The force of the bolts is too much for her! All three bolts strike her in the head! She slumps to the ground, nearly lifeless, as smoke trails out of her ears!

Female #1 is bleeding out. [-9]

Nimbar says, "Ok, Hawke, concentrate on the chief now!"

Ordred moves forward, occupying the same square as the sleeping Hobgoblin #5. He swings his axe at the chief!

GM:
Attack Roll: (8) = Missed.


The Chief, who is concerned that the battle is turning against him, is careful to keep his shield between himself and the Dwarf, although he fears that he might not be able to fend off Hawke for much longer...

Hob-Battle-001g.png

QUIXT: It's Your Turn! What do you do?
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Quixt:
Quixt pulls his bow and rushes 20 feet ahead where he has visibility to the entire room, launching an arrow at the hobgoblin flanking Ordred.
Rolz.org CY576-GLR: vs. H13 in space F12 = Rolled 18; Damage 5
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
@Aust Thale For future reference, the Dice Room in Rolz is LEG-RETOLD.


Quixt moves up to the square that is currently occupied by Female #3 (who is down); Hobs #5 and #3 are asleep; thus, he is not threatened by any opponents in the new square. (Square = H14)

Your arrow hits, causing 5 pts. of damage. Hobgoblin #13 is gravely injured, but still standing.

Quixt moves up into the thick of things, and lets an arrow fly at one of the Hobgoblins; the arrow strikes the creature in the left shoulder, burrowing deep, the tip piercing his back, protruding about an inch and a half. The Hobgoblin howls in agony, but the wound is not enough to drop him, although it does slow him down quite a bit. Finishing him off should not present much of a problem.

Hobgoblin #13, who had been firing at Hawke, changes targets to Quixt, in an effort to exact revenge for the terrible arrow wound he has just been dealt; #11 and #12 continue to fire at Ordred, and #14 and #15 continue to fire at Hawke.

Hobs #11 and #12 vs. Ordred: 11 (Miss), 22 (Natural 20, Hit, No Crit); Damage: 6 pts.
Hob #13 vs. Quixt: 9 (Miss)
Hobs #14 and #15 vs. Hawke: 5 (Miss), 19 (Miss)
Ordred Attack of Opportunity vs Hob #13: 22 (Hit); Damage: 10 pts.
Hob #13 is Down and Dying [-9]

Ordred is moderately injured. (6 pts.)
Hawke is moderately wounded. (19 pts.)

One of the Hobgoblin crossbow bolts manages to find Ordred's helm, skipping off of it, and ringing his bell rather soundly, although drawing no blood. Ordred appears none the worse for wear after the close call.

In a fit of blind rage, having been struck by Quixt with a grievous arrow wound, Hobgoblin #13 attempts to return the favor; but his bolt flies high, missing Quixt completely. However, Ordred is able to take advantage of the Hobgoblin's carelessness, and deals him a bloody wound as his Dwarven Chained Axe chews into the Hobgoblin's upper left thigh, cleaving through muscle, and lodging in bone; the blow nearly amputates the creature's leg completely! Hobgoblin #13 slumps to the ground, where he begins to rapidly bleed out!

The remaining Hobgoblins fire their bolts at Hawke, and one of them might have hit, had it not been for Ordred's spell of protection. Hawke escapes the volley unscathed.

Sleeping Hobgoblins complete their second round of slumber.

Hawke still RAGING (Round 3) (Whirling Frenzy)
Hawke calls 3 pts. of Power Attack (3 att. @ +6 each.)
Primary: 1d8+7 (+10 PA)
Off-H: 1d4+3 (+6 PA)
Primary: 1d8+7 (+10 PA)
Attack Rolls: (18,7,22) = Hit, Miss, Hit
Damage: 14, 11 (25 pts. Total.)
The Hobgoblin Chief is SERIOUSLY WOUNDED! (25 pts.)

The Hobgoblin Chief's luck seems to be running low; he fails to block Hawke's first swing, which smashes into the Chief's jaw, causing him to spit teeth and spew blood! The sickening crunch is a good indicator that the jawbone itself is actually broken!

The Chief sidesteps Hawke's second swing, but realizes only too late that the maneuver was actually a feint; the Chief gets his shield up in the nick of time, to avoid having his skull crushed, but the massive blow leaves a huge dent in the shield itself, and sends tremors of agonizing pain through the Chief's forearm! The once proud warrior now seems unable to stand up straight, and also seems unable to hold his shield correctly. But somehow, due to blind luck, the Chief is still standing, and still able to grip his sword. But it is obvious that he is no match for Hawke, who is now pressing his advantage!

SPHYNX: It's Your Turn! The Chief is now in bad shape after only two blows from your oafish friend! What do want to do?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
SPHYNX: It's Your Turn! The Chief is now in bad shape after only two blows from your oafish friend! What do want to do?
Scanning the scene as best as he can, with limited visibility, not particularly focusing on any one thing, Sphynx employs all of his senses to keep apprised of the combat as it is unfolding, letting his subconscious bring to the forefront of his cognizance the best course of action. Seeking to do physical harm to a failing foe without undue risk to himself, Sphynx registers the situation with the chief and moves slightly to look at him before flicking his left wrist and pointing at him. Once again, shards of bluish light shoot forth from his extended two fingers.
OOC: Cast Magic Missile
 
Last edited:

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top