GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx takes a step backward and attempts to generate his third set of magic missiles, targeting the chief, this time.
OOC: Concentration: (d20+8)-4 = 15
magic missiles: (d4+1) x 2 = 3, 4
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
At last seeming to master the pain, Sphynx is able to get off another spell; the two shards of light swirl and streak, almost in slow motion, as they glide deliberately toward their target: the Kobold Chieftain. The energy bolts slam into the Chieftain's chest, drawing a desperate gasp from him, as they knock the life out of him, causing him to slump to the ground, dropping his staff. When he hits the ground, his heart is still beating, and his lungs are barely drawing breath, but his nerves are shot, and his body twitches, as the last remnants of life force begin to leave him. The Kobold Chieftain is unconscious and dying!

The Queen screams in a mixture of anguish and pain, as she ignores Hawke, and tries to get around him, in a desperate bid to stab her spear through Sphynx's heart, in revenge for killing her husband!

GM: Queen moves THROUGH Hawke's threatened square, drawing an attack of opportunity. Hawke's roll: (16) = Missed.


Hawke hits the Queen with his lead hammer as she passes by him, but it is a glancing blow, and she continues forward, unhindered.

GM: Queen's attack: (12) = Missed.


In her rage, the Queen's attack is hastily made, and easily side-stepped by the swift-footed albino. Sphynx smiles at her knowingly, seeing his oafish friend already starting to move in her direction, intent upon fulfilling his earlier promise to her.

Kobold #5 continues to engage with Ordred, trying to get past the big shield, hoping to land a good stab into the Dwarf's abdomen.

GM: K#5 Attack: (26) (C:19) = Critical Hit. Damage: 20 pts. Ordred is Disabled.


Distracted by the fall of the Chieftain, and by the Queen's rage, Ordred unintentionally leaves himself open for a split second, granting the Kobold his wish, leaving an opening in his defenses that the Kobold is able to exploit! Kobold #5 stabs Ordred squarely in the abdomen, piercing his armor, and lodging the spear tip deep within the Dwarf's entrails! Ordred staggers, as he coughs up a dangerous amount of blood! No one is sure exactly how, but Ordred remains standing, refusing to give in! His opponent wears a look of shock, unable to understand why his opponent has not yet fallen!

GM:
The Kobold Chieftain is slowly dying. [-3]
Dire Wolf continues to bleed out. [-6]
Kobold #3 continues to bleed out. [-5]


CURRENT INITIATIVE COUNT:
Ordred: 21
Sphynx: 18
Kobolds: 17a
Kobold Chieftain: 17b
Dire Wolf: 17c
Quixt: 13
Nimbar: 9
Hawke: 7

Kobold #1 is Dead.
Kobold # 2 is Dead.
Kobold # 3 is dying. [-5]
Ordred is DISABLED. (31 pts.)
Hawke is significantly wounded. (13 pts.)
Dire Wolf is Entangled. (7 Rounds Remaining) [Updates on Quixt's turn.]
Dire Wolf is dying. [-6]
Kobold #4 is significantly injured, (8 pts.)
Kobold #4 is Panicked.
Kobold #5 is moderately wounded. (12 pts.)
Kobold #6 (The Kobold Queen) is slightly injured. (1 pt.)
Kobold Chief is dying. [-3]

QUIXT: It's your turn! Your newfound friend is in DIRE straights! What do you do?
 
Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Quixt:
Thinking quickly upon seeing Ordred felled by the kobold, Quixt abandons his original intent on remaining at a distance. He simultaneously drops his bow and draws his sword, rushing the kobold without a sound, the kobold's attention on Ordred. He slams into the kobold, impaling him with his short sword. The jolt pushes the kobold back away from Ordred.

Attack Roll (with modifiers): 17; Damage: 7; Sneak Attack Damage: 6 (if applicable due to flanking opponent in charge)
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
TIT-FOR-TAT

Quixt charges Kobold #5, headed for the square behind him, intending to gut him as he runs by; It is a good plan, but as chance would have it, it is a plan that the Kobold was prepared for. As Quixt dashes by his opponent, slicing him on the right side, underneath his ribcage, the Kobold stabs him simultaneously with his spear!

93760104-5CA5-4BEA-AD24-B76EB6DFD787.jpeg


GM:
Quixt's charge attack (base) = (17);
Flanking bonus = +2 = (19) = Hits.
Ordred loses 1 hit pt., and collapses into unconsciousness. [-1]
Kobold's attack of opportunity as Quixt moves through his threatened square:
(26) Possible Crit; (17) Confirmed. Damage = 11 pts.
Quixt is moderately wounded. (11 pts.)
Damage from Quixt's attack, including Sneak Attack = 13 pts.
Kobold #5 has taken a total of 25 pts. of damage.
Kobold #5 collapses, and begins to bleed out. [-3]


As it turns out, despite the Kobold's swift accuracy with his spear, the blow is more glancing than anything else, whilest Quixt manages to cut through armor and flesh far more effectively, resulting in a critical wound, which drops the Kobold where he stands!

CURRENT INITIATIVE COUNT:
Ordred: 21
Sphynx: 18
Kobolds: 17
Quixt: 13
Nimbar: 9
Hawke: 7

Kobold #1 is Dead.
Kobold # 2 is Dead.
Kobold # 3 is dying. [-5]
Ordred is dying. [-1]
Hawke is significantly wounded. (13 pts.)
Dire Wolf is Entangled. (6 Rounds Remaining) [Updates on Quixt's turn.]
Dire Wolf is dying. [-6]
Kobold #4 is significantly injured, (8 pts.)
Kobold #4 is Panicked.
Kobold #5 is dying. [-3]
Kobold #6 (The Kobold Queen) is slightly injured. (1 pt.)
Kobold Chief is dying. [-3]

Nimbar & Hawke are up next! Stay tuned!
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Out of spells, Nimbar becomes desperate; he draws his rapier, and tries to stab the queen!

GM: Attack Roll: 1d20-1 = (2-1) = 1. Missed.


The queen's superior combat training allows her to parry Nimbar's clumsy attack quite easily.

Hawke, who is now flanking with Sphynx, corners her, and lets her have both hammers!

Hawke, in Draconic: "Time for a dirt nap, dog!"

GM: Hawke's attack rolls: (24,28) = Hit, Hit. Damage = 5,2 = 7 pts. total.


Surprisingly the queen rolls with both blows, still getting hit, but not as squarely as Hawke would have liked. She now has two very dark bruises, one on the side of her neck, the other on her right shoulder.

GM: Ordred's life is slipping away, as he continues to bleed out. [-2]


SPHYNX: It's now your turn! The Kobold Queen is your only remaining opponent. You have a +2 flanking bonus with Hawke, and Sneak Attack applies when flanking! What do you do?

CURRENT INITIATIVE COUNT:
Ordred: 21
Sphynx: 18
Kobolds: 17
Quixt: 13
Nimbar: 9
Hawke: 7

Kobold #1 is Dead.
Kobold # 2 is Dead.
Kobold # 3 is dying. [-5]
Ordred is dying. [-2]
Hawke is significantly wounded. (13 pts.)
Dire Wolf is Entangled. (6 Rounds Remaining) [Updates on Quixt's turn.]
Dire Wolf is dying. [-6]
Kobold #4 is significantly injured, (8 pts.)
Kobold #4 is Panicked.
Kobold #5 is dying. [-3]
Kobold #6 (The Kobold Queen) is significantly injured. (8 pts.)
Kobold Chief is dying. [-3]
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Having his dagger for fighting in his right hand and an energized, glowing blue, left, Sphynx slashes with the blade and slaps with his hand, hoping for some vital cut in addition to the cold damage.
OOC: dagger attack: (d20+1) + 2(flank) -4(pain) = 17
touch attack: 14 (base roll) (not sure all involved w/ this)
dagger DG; d4 + d6(sneak) = 3 + 3 = 6
chill touch: d6 = 4
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Normal penalties (3.x SRD) for fighting with two weapons:
-6 to hit with Primary Hand
-10 to hit with Off-Hand

The OTTER system is similar to the stock 3.x system, except that it also takes into account the possibility of BOTH weapons being light. So:

Primary OR Off-hand weapon is light:
-4 to hit with Primary Hand
-8 to hit with Off-Hand

Primary AND Off-hand weapons are light: (This is what Sphynx has)
-2 to hit with Primary Hand
-6 to hit with Off-Hand

Normal penalties for two weapons with only the 2-Wpn Fighting Feat:
-4 to hit with Primary Hand
-4 to hit with Off-Hand

Normal + 2-Wpn Feat + Primary OR Off-hand Light
-2 to hit with Primary Hand
-2 to hit with Off-Hand

Normal + 2-Wpn Feat + Primary AND Off-hand Light
+0 to hit with Primary Hand
+0 to hit with Off-Hand

This topic has been discussed all over various forums about the 3.x system, and I have adopted it into the OTTER system, because I agree with the premise.

STRENGTH modifies melee attacks, because you are relying on the power of your blow to inflict damage upon your opponent.

HOWEVER, in the case of TOUCH ATTACKS, where a powerful blow is not the objective, the modifier switches to DEXTERITY. Trying to lightly touch someone in order to activate a spell is a far different task than trying to damage them with your fist; quickness and flexibility are called for, not raw power.

GM:
Sphynx's Attack Roll: 1d20+1
First roll (Dagger, Primary) = 18 (Initial Adjustment: 19)
Second roll (Touch, Secondary) = 14 (Initial Adjustment: 15)

Kobold's AC: 18; Kobold's TOUCH AC: 13

Modifiers:

Primary Attack:
+0 Str
+2 Flanking
-2 Two-Weapon Fighting (+2 / -2 Cancel Each Other Out)
-4 Symbol of Pain
ADJUSTED ATTACK ROLL: 19-4 = 15 (MISS)
The Symbol of Pain causes Sphynx to miss his attack. He would have otherwise hit. (Attack Roll of 19 vs. AC: 18)

Off-Hand Touch Attack:

+4 Dex
+2 Flanking
-6 Two-Weapon Fighting (+6 / -6 Cancel Each Other Out)
-4 Symbol of Pain
ADJUSTED ATTACK ROLL: 15-4 = 11 (MISS)
The Symbol of Pain causes Sphynx to miss his attack. He would have otherwise hit. (Attack Roll of 15 vs. TOUCH AC: 13)


Sphynx moves in toward the Kobold Queen, in an aggressive, attacking fashion, but the pain which wracks his entire body destroys his focus, and slows him down, causing him to miss out on opportunities he normally would have been able to capitalize upon.

GM:
Kobold #3 continues to bleed out. [-6]
Dire Wolf continues to bleed out. [-7]
Kobold #5 continues to bleed out. [-4]
Kobold Chief continues to bleed out. [-4]


Seeing that she is the last remaining champion of their cause, the Kobold Queen switches tactics; she will not retreat or surrender, that much is obvious. She is dedicated to the clan's purpose; she knows that death is imminent, but she decides to go down fighting, and making good decisions. Seeing that Sphynx is in too much pain to be much of a threat to her, she once more turns her attention to Hawke. She knows that if she cannot kill the giant warrior quickly, he will soon kill her instead.

GM:
Kobold Queen's Attack: (19) = Hits. Damage = 6 pts.
Hawke has taken a total of 19 pts. of damage.
Hawke is SERIOUSLY injured!


The Queen's renewed ferocity allows her to surprise Hawke, slipping her spear in under his defenses, giving him a nasty gash in his abdomen! His armor saves him from complete impalement, but he is bleeding heavily, nonetheless!

QUIXT: It's your turn! What do you do?

CURRENT INITIATIVE COUNT:
Ordred: 21
Sphynx: 18
Kobolds: 17
Quixt: 13
Nimbar: 9
Hawke: 7

Kobold #1 is Dead.
Kobold # 2 is Dead.
Kobold # 3 is dying. [-6]
Ordred is dying. [-2]
Hawke is seriously injured. (19 pts.)
Dire Wolf is Entangled. (6 Rounds Remaining) [Updates on Quixt's turn.]
Dire Wolf is dying. [-7]
Kobold #4 is significantly injured, (8 pts.)
Kobold #4 is Panicked.
Kobold #5 is dying. [-4]
Kobold #6 (The Kobold Queen) is significantly injured. (8 pts.)
Kobold Chief is dying. [-4]
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
According to a chat message from Quixt: "...Quixt is going to hold his action until after Nimbar and Hawke go."
Quixt's new initiative count: 6


Nimbar takes another stab at the Queen, but she is a far superior fighter, especially with the advantage of the Pain Symbol on her side!

GM: Nimbar's Attack: (12) = Miss.


Hawke swings twice at the Queen; he catches her with the lead hammer, smacking her in the jaw, causing her to spit teeth! Her reptilian mouth is now coated in blood! But to his surprise, she ducks deftly underneath his follow-up blow. The signs of fatigue are beginning to show; Hawke is slowing down, and becoming more predictable, now that the rage has worn off!

GM:
Hawke's Attacks: (20,11) = Hit, Miss; Damage: 7 pts.
The Queen has taken a total of 15 pts. of damage.
The Queen is SERIOUSLY injured!


CURRENT INITIATIVE COUNT:
Ordred: 21
Sphynx: 18
Kobolds: 17
Nimbar: 9
Hawke: 7
Quixt: 6

Kobold #1 is Dead.
Kobold # 2 is Dead.
Kobold # 3 is dying. [-6]
Ordred is dying. [-2]
Hawke is seriously injured. (19 pts.)
Dire Wolf is dying. [-7]
Kobold #4 is significantly injured, (8 pts.)
Kobold #4 is Panicked.
Kobold #5 is dying. [-4]
Kobold #6 (The Kobold Queen) is seriously injured. (15 pts.)
Kobold Chief is dying. [-4]

QUIXT: It's your turn! The Queen is still up! Ordred is still in dire trouble! What do you do?
 

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Quixt:
Quixt for a brief moment considers attacking the Queen, but he thinks better of it, stepping back to the southeast around the dying and tangled dire wolf and adjacent to Ordred. As he does so, he pops out a potion from his bandolier and pours it into the mouth of the dwarf, pinching the dwarf’s nose and shaking him to make him swallow it. The Kobold female will get hers, but right now, numbers are better, and Ordred needed help lest he push up mushrooms in this place.
5 foot movement southeast adjacent to Ordred; remaining part of the round providing him the potion. Damage healed: 7 point (Rolz)
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Ordred, your eyes suddenly flutter and open, and you feel yourself coughing and sputtering, as a strange, tingling sensation spreads through your body! You recognize that someone has administered a healing potion to you! Your gut still feels very tender where you were stabbed, but it feels as if the wound is closed, and no longer bleeding. As your vision comes into focus, you realize that it was Quixt who saved you; you also notice that only the Queen remains standing among the Kobolds, a good development, to be sure.

GM:
Healing: 7 pts.
Ordred is now at 5 hit pts. (Out of a total of 31.)
Ordred is still GRAVELY injured!


ORDRED: You are still prone. It will take a move action to stand up. What do you do?
 

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Top