log in or register to remove this ad

 

GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Quixt Spell Resistance Check: (20) vs 14 = Success
Damage: 17 pts. vs. Demon #2.


Quixt casts his ol' stand-by spell (Magic Missile) at the most wounded demon, to good effect! Quixt is able to easily conquer the demon's spell resistance, and NO ONE is resistant to force energy, without the aid of specific spells (such as Shield); the vile creature gasps as the energy bolts slam into him, weakening his life force! However, by seemingly sheer will, the demon remains standing!

Initiative Count For Round 1:
Sphynx 20
Quixt 16
Demons 15
Hawke 13
Nimbar 10

Demon #1 is mildly injured [5 pts.]
Demon #2 is SERIOUSLY WOUNDED [24 pts.]

To everyone's surprise, the demons do NOT charge the party! They remain in place, telepathically communicating with each other for a brief moment, before beginning to concentrate...

Of the four demons, three of them shake their heads in disgust, while the fourth one smiles in triumph! Another demon appears, bringing the total number of foes to 5!

Realizing what is occurring, Hawke decides to speed things up a bit.... by charging the most wounded demon (#2).

Attack #1: 14 (Miss)
Attack #2: 30 (Hit); 12 pts. Damage. [-5 DR] = 7 pts.
Attack #3: 14 (Miss)
Attack #4: 23 (Hit); 9 pts. Damage. [-5 DR] = 4 pts.
TOTAL DAMAGE: 11 pts.
Demon #2 is DYING [-3]

Despite Hawke's speed and fury, the demon is able to parry two of the warrior's blows! However, the two blows that land are with the big hammer, and despite the demon's tough skin, Hawke is able to sufficiently wound the creature so as to put it down, bleeding out of its left ear, as the result of a cracked skull.

Nimbar follows suit by moving up a little, and casting Haste on the party; Everyone feels suddenly adrenalized, lighter in step, quicker of pulse!

Demon Battle 003.png
Initiative Count For Round 2:
Sphynx 20
Quixt 16
Demons 15
Hawke 13
Nimbar 10

Demon #1 is mildly injured [5 pts.]
Demon #2 is DYING [-3]

ROUND TWO HAS BEGUN! SPHYNX, It is once again YOUR TURN! What do you do?
 

log in or register to remove this ad

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx takes a step forward (H10). Quickly understanding that fire is not the operative method of attack, like Quixt, he switches to magic missile. Using both hands to gesture and divert the direction, he sends to shards of bluish light into the demon directly in front of Hawke and two into the new arrival.
OOC: Cast Magic Missile. d20s = 8, 18. 2(d4+1) = 7, 7.
Level 2:
Magic Missile: 1

Level 3:
Scorching Ray: 1
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Sphynx breaks SR 15, and 25 with his d20 rolls. (Both = Succcess)
Demon #1 takes 7 pts. of Force damage. Demon #1 is Moderately Injured. [12 pts. Total Damage.]
Demon #5 takes 7 pts. of Force damage. Demon #5 is Mildly Injured.
[7 pts. Total Damage.]


Sphynx assaults two of the demons with mystical force energy, his spell having its complete and intended effect! While both are still standing, they are also weakened somewhat, and in dangerous proximity to the party's heavy hitter. And they know it!

QUIXT: It's your turn again! Demons #1 and #5 are injured. Demon #2 is down and dying. What do you do?
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Quixt CL Check: (24) = Success
Damage: 15 pts.
Demon #1 is now SEVERELY WOUNDED [27 pts. total.]


Quixt invokes his scroll, which he himself enchanted for maximum effectiveness, and watches as the spell once again has a PROFOUND effect upon the vile creature! The demon winces in pain, as the pressure causes him to begin bleeding from his left eye! He is BARELY able to stand, and looks to be near death after the mystical assault!

Initiative Count For Round 2:
Sphynx 20
Quixt 16
Demons 15
Hawke 13
Nimbar 10

Demon #1 is SEVERELY WOUNDED [27 pts.]
Demon #2 is DYING [-4]
Demon #5 is Mildly Injured [7 pts.]

Demons #1, #3, and #4 move into position to partially surround Hawke, whom they see as a threat. All of them get their full attacks, having each only taken a single square adjustment. Demon #5 concentrates, and another of his kind (#6) suddenly appears!

GM:
Fortunately, none of the demons yet have flanking position on Hawke.
Demon #1: 20, 16 = Miss, Miss
Demon #3: 6, 21 = Miss, Miss
Demon #4: 7, 19 = Miss, Miss


Although out-numbered, Hawke is the superior warrior. The demons' attacks are clumsy, slow, and ill-timed. Hawke is able to fend off the wicked-looking double axes that the demons wield, much to their surprise!

Hawke, being Hasted, moves even faster than before, bringing to the demons a veritable storm of pain and steel.

GM:
Attack 1: 25 (Hit) = 12 Dam - DR = 7 pts. dam.
Demon #1 is DYING. [-2]
Attack 2: 29 (Hit) = 12 Dam - DR = 7 pts. dam. vs. Demon #3
Attack 3: 25 (Hit) = 4 Dam - DR = 0 pts. dam. vs. Demon #3
Attack 4: 21 (Hit) = 8 Dam - DR = 3 pts. dam. vs. Demon #3
Demon #3 has suffered 10 pts. damage. [Lightly Injured.]


Hawke's first blow breaks Demon #1's neck, and the creature slumps to the ground, in a motionless heap, where it begins to die as a result of internal injuries.

Hawke's remaining attacks are focused on Demon #3, who survives the assault, but whom also looks as if he might be in trouble, if such a pounding continues. Only the blow from the small hammer is absorbed completely by the creature's tough skin; the big hammer proves to be quite effective, however.

Nimbar moves into position in order to have a clear shot at Demon #3.

GM:
Caster Level Checks: 24,23 = Success on Both
Damage, Ray 1: 15 (-10) = 5 pts.
Damage, Ray 2: 15 (-10) = 5 pts.
Demon #3 takes 10 pts. of Fire Damage. Demon #3 is now MODERATELY WOUNDED [20 pts. total.]


Thinking that Scorching Ray would still have a slight effect, and hoping that concentrating 2 rays upon a single opponent would have a greater effect, Nimbar directs two rays of fire at Demon #3; the plan works, although still not as well as Nimbar had hoped. The demon is burned, but not badly. However, in combination with Hawke's bombardment, the demon looks really beat up now.

As his extra movement action from Haste, Nimbar reaches over to Hawke's belt, and draws out the Wand of Magic Missiles that Hawke is carrying. Hawke, knowing Nimbar's motive, makes no attempt to stop him.

Initiative Count For Round 3:
Sphynx 20
Quixt 16
Demons 15
Hawke 13
Nimbar 10

Demon #1 is DYING [-2]
Demon #2 is DYING [-4]
Demon #3 is MODERATELY WOUNDED [20 pts.]
Demon #4 is uninjured.
Demon #5 is Mildly Injured [7 pts.]
Demon #6 is uninjured.

495D1379-2728-4CFC-8BE1-AB2EF0335216.png

ROUND THREE IS BEGINNING! SPHYNX, it's your turn! What do you do?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Limited in his variety of magics, Sphynx takes a step to his left (H9). He twirls his left arm in an overhand gyre, releasing four shards of blue light at the enemy directly in front of Hawke.
OOC: Cast Magic Missile. d20 = 16. 4(d4+1) = 14.
Level 2:
Magic Missile: 2

Level 3:
Scorching Ray: 1
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
16+7 = (23) = Success
14 pts. damage.
Demon #4 is Moderately Injured [14 pts.]


Your Magic Missile spell slams into the fresh demon, and takes the wind out of him; he is clearly not accustomed to having his spell resistance pierced time after time.

21F75AB5-FFB9-4438-92B9-E091698EB65B.png

Initiative Count For Round 3:
Sphynx 20
Quixt 16
Demons 15
Hawke 13
Nimbar 10

Demon #1 is DYING [-2]
Demon #2 is DYING [-4]
Demon #3 is MODERATELY WOUNDED [20 pts.]
Demon #4 is Moderately Injured [14 pts.]
Demon #5 is Mildly Injured [7 pts.]
Demon #6 is uninjured.

QUIXT: It is now your turn once more! What do you do?
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Quixt:
Moving to engage the creatures more conventionally, Quixt readies his bow and notches a silver-tipped arrow while moving a little closer and more to the right of Sphynx (5' adjustment to J11), and shoots two (2) arrows (Hasted) at one of the creatures (#6). The first misses as a result of moving and drawing and aiming too quickly. The 2nd strikes home (Damage = 6).
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Demon #6, who had just begun concentrating, in an attempt to summon another of his kind, is surprised when the silver arrow strikes him!

GM:
Concentration check: 1d20+2 = (12)
vs. DC 10+Damage Dealt (16) = Failed.


Although the arrow is not enough to drop the the demon, it IS enough to disrupt the demon's summoning! A figure begins to appear, then fizzles out, as the demon winces while reciting the Abyssal words, saying them improperly, and causing the figure to wink out of existence. The demon utters a curse in his native tongue that is lost on you.

Initiative Count For Round 3:
Sphynx 20
Quixt 16
Demons 15
Hawke 13
Nimbar 10

Demon #1 is DYING [-2]
Demon #2 is DYING [-4]
Demon #3 is MODERATELY WOUNDED [20 pts.]
Demon #4 is Moderately Injured [14 pts.]
Demon #5 is Mildly Injured [7 pts.]
Demon #6 is Mildly Injured [6 pts.]

Demon #5 moves up 1 square, into F10, standing over the motionless body of his comrade. He is not concerned that his comrade is bleeding out. His focus is upon Hawke. He attacks Hawke with his double axe, a look of fury in his eyes.

Demon #3, who still can't get into a flanking position (Nimbar is in the way) nevertheless continues to attack Hawke.

Demon #4 takes a free action, in order to douse the area in shadowy darkness! As he does so, he too attacks Hawke with his big double axe.

GM:
EVERYONE, friend and foe alike, has a 20% concealment while in the area of Darkness. Even those with Lowlight and Darkvision.


GM:
Demons' Attacks:
13,20,15,16,20,25 (Confirm: 11) = 1 hit (not a crit)
Miss chance from Concealment: 20% = (9) Attack misses.
All 6 attacks miss Hawke.


Demon #4's tactic of invoking the area of Darkness backfires, as the one attack that might of hit MISSES, because of the tricks played by the shadowy effect. Hawke, who can see just fine because of his Lowlight Vision, is easily able, once again, to block all of the demons' clumsy swings.

Hawke tries to return the favor, raining blow after blow on Demon #3, but somewhow, the demon is able to parry every blow, except for one. Although the concealment effect from the Darkness does not save the demon, his tough skin does! He takes only a bad bruise from the massive warhammer, but combined with his previous wounds, he is beginning to look pretty bloodied.

GM:
Hawke's attacks: 15,24,17,15 (One hit.)
Concealment: (71) = Hit.
Damage: 10 (-5 DR) = 5 pts.
Demon #3 has now taken a total of 25 pts. of damage.
Demon #3 is Severely Injured.


Nimbar does not use the wand this round, despite having retrieved it from Hawke's belt; he still has a memorized Magic Missile, which he invokes, sending two bolts at two different targets (Demon #3, and Demon #4.)

GM:
Caster Level Check: 18, 27 (Success)
Damage: 8 pts., 7 pts.
Demon #3 is down and DYING. [-1]
Demon #4 is Moderately Wounded [21 pts.]


One of the demons slumps to the ground, as the force missiles find their mark. The other demon cries out, in a combination of rage and despair, as the two bolts rip into him!

BB430AC7-43DE-4DF6-9083-B41852B65DBD.png

Initiative Count For Round 4:
Sphynx 20
Quixt 16
Demons 15
Hawke 13
Nimbar 10

Demon #1 is DYING [-3]
Demon #2 is DYING [-5]
Demon #3 is DYING [-2]
Demon #4 is Moderately Wounded [21 pts.]
Demon #5 is Mildly Injured [7 pts.]
Demon #6 is Mildly Injured [6 pts.]

ROUND 4 HAS BEGUN! IT IS SPHYNX'S TURN AGAIN! What do you do?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Frowning at his own lack of options, Sphynx again releases a small barrage of light shards at the same enemy as before, directly in front of Hawke.
OOC: Cast Magic Missile. d20 = 11. 4(d4+1) = 14.
Level 2:
Magic Missile: 3

Level 3:
Scorching Ray: 1
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
11+7 = 18 (Success)
Magic Missile Damage = 14 pts.
Demon #4 drops like a sack of wheat.


Despite Sphynx's distaste for using the same spell over and over again, he is forced to admit to himself that the Magic Missiles do seem to be the best form of attack to bring these creatures down quickly.

Initiative Count For Round 4:
Sphynx 20
Quixt 16
Demons 15
Hawke 13
Nimbar 10

Demon #1 is DYING [-3]
Demon #2 is DYING [-5]
Demon #3 is DYING [-2]
Demon #4 is DYING [-3]
Demon #5 is Mildly Injured [7 pts.]
Demon #6 is Mildly Injured [6 pts.]
F505C95F-A535-4B25-A384-8B2E1A2EA0B4.png

QUIXT: You're up! There are two demons left! (#5 and #6) What do you do?
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: Posting on behalf of Quixt, at his request:


Quixt shoots two, silver-tipped arrows at Demon #5. The first arrow misses the fiend by a whisker, but the second arrow strikes true, and is NOT foiled by the murky concealment that now permeates the area. The arrow-strike is a glancing blow, however, and is not sufficient to put the fiend down for the count.

GM:
Attack #1: (17) = Miss.
Attack #2: (21) = Hit.
(Concealment = 01-20 = Miss, 21+ = Hits)
Concealment = (46) = Hits!
Damage: 4 pts. damage. (Silver; No DR allowed.)


GM:
Demon's Turn:
(Demons #1 - #4 continue to bleed out.)
Demon #1 is DYING [-4]
Demon #2 is DYING [-6]
Demon #3 is DYING [-3]
Demon #4 is DYING [-4]

Demon #5 is Mildly Injured [11 pts.]
Demon #6 is Mildly Injured [6 pts.]

Demon #5 will continue to attack Hawke.
Demon #6 will continue to attack Hawke.
Attacks: 18,21,11,11 = 4 Misses


Demons #5 and #6 continue to concentrate on Hawke, knowing that while spellcasters run out of spells, warriors can swing their weapons all day long. However, their skill in melee remains insufficient to challenge Hawke.

GM:
Hawke will attack #5 first, then go to #6.
Hawke is Hasted.
TOTAL: 11,11,6,11
Rolls: 18,16,16,23 = 2 Hits
Concealment: 26, 64 = Both are actually hits

Both hits are with main weapon (1d8+5): 6,7
After DR: 1,2 = Total 3 pts. damage.
Demon #5 is still only Mildly Injured [14 pts.]


On the other hand, Hawke has poor luck as well, only landing half of his intended blows. His foes are well-armored and agile, and to make matters worse, their skin is hardened as a result of their lower-planar heritage; which means that the two blows which DID land are only glancing ones.

GM:
Caster Level Check for Nimbar: (18) = Success!
Magic Missile Damage: 13 pts. (Low rolls.)
All 4 missiles are directed at #5.


Still not yet resorting to the wand, Nimbar casts one of his spells from memory instead (Magic Missile) to good effect! Demon #5 winces in agony as the four, blue bolts slam into him! He is still standing, but only just so.

GM:
NOTE: This combat is dragging on too long; the minor demons are outmatched, but they have so many resistances (DR 5/Silver, SR 14, FR 10, plus other immunities) that it's taking FOREVER to put them all down. So, I am just going to roll another round for everyone, to see if we can bring this combat to a close.


Sphynx casts another Magic Missile.

GM:
CL Check: (20) Success!
Two missiles dam: 6, two missiles dam: 8
First two missiles directed at #5, last two at #6.
Demon #5 is DYING [-1]
Demon #6 is Moderately Injured [14 pts.]


Level 2:
Magic Missile: 4

Level 3:
Scorching Ray: 1

Quixt shoots two more arrows. (Both at #6)

GM:
Attack Rolls: 18,19 (Both potential hits)
Concealment: 9, 85 = First one misses due to concealment.
Arrow damage: 9 pts. (Max)
Arrow is silver; no DR allowed.
Demon #6 is SERIOUSLY INJURED. [23 pts.]


Hawke wails on Demon #6 with his hammers.

GM:
Attacks: 20,29,8,22 = 3 Potential Hits
Concealment: 25,18,78 = 2 Hits. (1 Miss due to Concealment.)
Damage: (Both Main Wpn): 10,12 - DR (5) = 5,7
Total Damage: 12 pts.
Demon #6 is DYING. [-3]


COMBAT HAS ENDED! All 6 Demons are now bleeding out on the floor! The party has prevented a very serious event from occurring! Left unchecked, these fiends could have summoned an army, given enough time. The party receives (each party member) a +1,000 XP Bonus!
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: Nimbar Skill Check: Know. Planes: (26)


Nimbar kneels next to one of the demons, looking closely at its mottled, bumpy skin, which is covered by a foul-smelling, clear goo.

Nimbar says, "These were Rutterkin. Lucky for us, they are younglings. Their skin still bears the protective goo, which doesn't go away until they've reached maturity, which is usually around 500 years of age. My guess is that these demons were part of a 'new batch' which was probably less than a hundred years old. That also explains their poor fighting skills. Adult Rutterkin would have been a far more difficult situation. Sir Walter has spoken of Elder Rutterkin, one of which could take out a patrol of 20 soldiers single-handedly. Given enough time, these here could have managed to summon an Elder. And if that had happened, this whole region would have been in serious trouble. Elder Rutterkin are almost entirely immune to magical effects. And their skin is akin to solid iron."

Hawke frowns, curling his bottom lip in disgust, but says nothing.

EVERYONE: What's next?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx takes two different vials from his belongings and collects some of the blood and some of the goo from one of the demons. He then searches them for anything of value or interest.
OOC: d20 = 14

Level 2:
Magic Missile: 4

Level 3:
Scorching Ray: 1
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
108 sp.
12 miscellaneous gems. (Haven't rolled them yet.)
1 yellow-looking potion.
2 dark-blue (almost navy blue) looking potions.
1 Arcane Scroll, 2 Second-Level Spells, Caster Level: 3rd:
---Delay Poison
---Summon Swarm
1 Arcane Scroll, 3 Second-Level Spells, Caster Level: 3rd:
---Web
---Invisibility
---Magic Mouth
1 Arcane Scroll, 3 First-Level Spells, Caster Level: 1st:
---Hold Portal
---Color Spray
---Endure Elements

OOC: There are three potions that you can roll your Identify skill for; roll 1d20+12 and beat a DC of 22. (You need a 10 or better on the die.) You can use the 14 you rolled as one of your results; 14 would be a total of 26, which is a success. Just tell me which potion. It will take 6 rounds total (2 rounds each potion) or 36 seconds to identify them all.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Quixt and Nimbar also collect blood and goo samples from the younglings. There is plenty to go around.

Hawke smiles, and politely declines.

Hawke says, "You guys knock yourselves out."
 
Last edited:


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Just as a reminder to myself:

ROSE GOLD COLLECTIONS: (Counted separate from other treasure):

STATS:

Drogonspine spear head: 8" long, weighing 2 oz. per inch. (Thus, 8" spear head weighs 1 lb.)

Dragonspine machete blade: 12" long, weighing about 24 oz. (1.5 lbs.)

VALUE:

Value of MW Rose Gold Spear: 301 gp.
Value of MW Rose Gold Machete: 365 gp.

COLLECTIONS:

Sir Walter's share:
6 MW Rose Gold Spears

Party's Horde:

21 MW Rose Gold Spears
13 MW Rose Gold Machetes

Total Value: 11,066 gp.
Split 4 ways (if sold): 2,766 gold + 5 silver each.

(This is the total amount of Rose Gold items collected from all raids so far.)

Potions have all been identified:

Delay Poison x1
Cure Moderate Wounds (2d8+10) x1
Cure Moderate Wounds (2d8+7) x1

XP AWARDS:

Combat: +1,900 Each
Story: Defeat of the Wendol: +2,500 Each
Story: Defeat of the Rutterkin: +2,500 Each
Story: Ignoring The Evil Pottery: +500 Each
Excellent Teamwork: +500 Each

Each character receives a total of 7,900 xp.
(Hold off on the updating of sheets; we still need to get clear of this place.)

The party has spent nearly all of its earnings so far, on upgrading equipment, recharging wands, scribing scrolls, scribing spells, etc. WITH THE EXCEPTION of the Rose Gold (above) and the treasure from the Rutterkins.

Useful Maps CLICK HERE
 
Last edited:


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Use the Useful Maps link in the post above (post #518), and click on the Beyond The Door spoiler to see a map of areas 60-64. Note that the party has already explored area 54 on that map; that was a barracks, similar to the one at area 56, where you fought the Rutterkin.


GM:
With the Rutterkins defeated, the party is faced with a few choices:

[1] Go check out the NE door (Indicated on Battle Map.)

[2] Go check out the main chamber to the north. (Indicated on Battle Map.)

[3] Go back, and check out areas 60-64 which were behind the door you discovered near Area 54.


Hawke summarizes, "From what the Rutterkins mentioned, the Wendol must have been running low on reinforcements, and tried summoning and commanding these Rutterkins to serve as troops; but their summoning circle was flawed, and these Rutterkins came into our world free-willed, and uncontrolled. I'd be willing to bet that they killed the remaining Wendol, including the Witch Mother. The chamber to the north, that we can partially see from here, is probably where they came from. My guess is, they were about to go check out the closed door to the northeast. What do you guys want to do? Remember, there's also that other area behind the closed door, near the first barracks room, that we haven't explored yet. With most of the Wendol dead, we shouldn't encounter very much in the way of resistance. What say you?"

GM:
At this point, to speed things along, I am going to say that the party checks out the NE door that is indicated on the battle map. That is room #57. In that room, there are 20 Zombies, and 20 Skeletons, the last contingent of the Wendol's undead army. I do not believe that this force would be a sufficient challenge for an 8th level party (almost 9th!) so I will say that you peek in, and that they do not see you. They don't appear to have any treasure, apart from their rusted, rag-tag, poorly-maintained equipment. I will also assume that since these creatures are a threat to passerby, that the party takes the time to fight and destroy them. I will simply assume that the party is victorious; you will not receive any xp for the fight, unless you actually wish to roll initiative and slug it out.

PLEASE NOTE: There is also a post above that shows the map for these areas (57, 58, 59g, and 59.) You may have a look at that map, for the purposes of planning the order of your exploration. 57 is, as I said, the undead room. Room 58 is the Witch Mother's chamber, and rooms 59g and 59 are sub-chambers.


Nimbar adds, "It's also important to note that because the circle was flawed, they were actually gated here, which is why, unlike a simple summoning spell, they didn't disappear in a puff of smoke when we killed them. These Rutterkin are Truly dead, which might earn us emnity with whomever their master is."

EVERYONE: What Do You Do?
 
Last edited:

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top