GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: Moving things along.


The party decides to check out Room 58 first. It is obviously a temple area. On the blood-stained floor, the bodies of the Witch Mother, and 5 of her acolytes lay, still with the rigor of death, having been chopped up in a gory fashion by the double-axes that the demons carried. Many of the dead wear a look of either confusion or surprise. The Witch Mother's corpse wears a look of fear.

GM:
Quixt: Appraisal Skill Check: 23.
Aid Another: (Hawke, Nimbar, Sphynx): 18,15,15 = +6.
Total Appraisal Check: 29.
Quixt can easily identify the value of the ornamental gemstones in this room..


FC822596-1994-457D-96B4-952E22122E24.jpeg


GM:
Will Saves: (Sphynx, Quixt, Hawke, Nimbar): 16,17,10,19
(Vs. DC 13): Hawke fails his saving throw.


F03D8195-7CE6-4DD8-BA59-EECED0B54B55.jpeg


It is hard not to look at the swirling forms as they suddenly spring to life, and everyone in the party does so. But only Hawke falls victim to spell; he begins to chant in an unknown tongue, as he stares blankly, his eyes glazed over with an obviously magical red light. He does not seem to be aware of what he is doing.

Acting quickly, Nimbar slaps Hawke hard on the cheek, snapping him out of his daze. Hawke had barely managed to say more than 3 words of the hymn, and he seems none the worse for wear.

Nimbar says, "It was a Suggestion spell. It's a fancy way to raise an alarm. I would imagine the Suggestion was something along the lines of "Sing loudly to the glory of Evil and Chaos," which would normally cause anyone nearby to come running, including the Zombies. Fortunately for us, there is no longer anyone here that could have heard Hawke's catterwalling."

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke pats Nimbar on the shoulder, saying, "Thanks, buddy. I'll work on my Barritone voice when I have time, so the next time this happens, you won't liken it to catterwalling."

Both friends chuckle lightly at Hawke's joke.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx rolls his eyes at the magicks wasted for such a simpleton's pathetic display. He draws upon his minute Druidic talent to illuminate the candelabra just to interfere with the intended malevolent ambience.
OOC: Cast Light

He will them examine the chairs to see if it would be safe to remove the gems.
OOC: Search: d20 + 10 = 12 + 10 = 22

Druid:
Light: 1

Level 2:
Magic Missile: 4

Level 3:
Scorching Ray: 1
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
The safety of removing the gems is obvious; you don't need to roll. Any trap on the removal of these gems would have to be magical. There is no physical trap that would operate effectively at that size. Even a needle trap would need more space for the spring and mechanism. But the problem is, they look very secure, and you're also worried about damaging the gems themselves by prying them out of their sockets. So I will use your roll with your Open Lock skill to see how well you do. Hawke will also use his Open Lock skill to assist you.

DC Is Difficult. (DC 20):
d20 roll = 12. Open Lock = 7. Total Roll: 19.
Hawke's roll: (23) = Success! Add +2 to Sphynx's result.
TOTAL RESULT: 21. (Success)


Working together, both friends manage to get all of the gems out of the furniture without so much as a scratch on anything, gemstone OR furniture. Sphynx, you notice that Hawke is competently trained in this skill, just as you are. When you ask him about it, he tells you that his mother was a "locksmith," but from his grin, you can tell that the word is a convenient euphemism.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
You can't remove the Throne or the lesser chairs. They're simply too big. You'd have to break them up, and that would scar and devalue the ivory. But you CAN take the gold bracings off of all of them.

Gold bracings: (4 per chair): (4 x 5 = 20 Bracings) = 250 gp. value each.
(x 20) = Total Value: 5,000 gp.

10 Onyx Gems: w/ 100 gp. each. (Total Value: 1,000 gp.)
10 Small Rubies: w/ 500 gp. each. (Total Value: 5,000 gp.)
1 Large Ruby: w/ 1,000 gp.

12,000 gp. value in all. Quite the haul. Congrats. :)
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Since Quixt has the highest search skill, he will search the Witch Mother's quarters. Sphynx, Hawke, and Nimbar will Aid Another if it becomes necessary.
SEARCH DC: 20
Quixt Search Number 1: (27) Success!
Quixt Search Number 2: (20) Success!
(Aid Another is not needed in this instance.)


Quixt finds two secret doors, both part of an escape passage, which can be clearly seen on the map below.

FFE07251-80DF-4A6A-AABD-1F78BE70DA5B.jpeg

GM:
Area marked 59g is where the Witch Mother's private guards normally stand watch. There is no one here; their bodies are likely lying in room 58, soaked in blood.

Area 59 is the private sanctum of the Witch Mother.

Treasure recovered from the Witch Mother's quarters:

A suit of black platemail, with a breastplate that is carved in the shape of a woman's bosom. (Although the arm and leg pieces will fit, the breastplate is too narrow and curvy to fit a normal man.) -- which has been placed on an armor stand.

A black metal shield (also on its own armor stand)

An amulet (like the one that the acolytes wore) with evil symbols carved on it, which hangs from a hook on the wall.

A wooden staff, with a jade top, carved in the shape of a snake's head, which is leaning against the corner by the bed.

On the nightstand, is a gold ring, inset with a deep red ruby. It looks extremely valuable.

Under the bed, a bag of 51 platinum pieces. 500 gold pieces, and 50 pieces of corundum (worth about 10 gp. each.)

Also under the bed: 3 scrolls, which are all divine (Clerical) spells, and an unknown potion of a grayish color. A small, demonic statue with two gems for eyes (both emeralds, approx. value 100 gp. each.)


The party moves swiftly through the room, easily discovering everything of possible value. When Quixt finds the secret passage, it becomes evident that everything in this part of the complex has probably been accounted for. The party should now be considering going back to the other door, and exploring the passages which lead off to the east.


EVERYONE: What do you want to do now?
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: Obviously the party will collect all coins.

Sphynx suggests that Hawke collect the armor and shield for the purpose of trade. "It may be there is even a bounty on this villainous witch and the armor might serve as proof of demise."

He has no reservations about collecting all of the other items, except the amulet, which he scrutinizes first to see if he deems it safe to touch.
OOC: d20 = 16
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sphynx, you find that the amulet is indeed safe to touch and pick up, but you also know that actually putting it on would be harmful to you (although you're not sure exactly how.) Only an evil being can wear this amulet without activating its harmful effects.

All of the coins are easily collected and placed in Hawke's magical haversack. The armor and shield can be wrapped in a bed sheet and bundled up with cords, making it portable, at least for someone as strong as Hawke is.

EVERYONE: What do you want to do now?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx will take the amulet in hopes of determining a way to destroy it.

"Hey folks. I am thinking we should make a loot run and return to The Keep with these finds, see what we can sell, then return."
OOC: d20 = 17
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke nods, saying, "I agree, we should leave soon. We have dealt with the Wendol, who were the driving force behind the unity of the Humanoid tribes; the Goblins, Kobolds, and Hobgoblins are either gone completely, or severely routed. We know there are more Orcs hanging around, as well as more Bugbears. And I have also noticed a Gnoll or two. Sphynx, you killed one recently, who had become so rabid that they had chained him to a wall, remember? ... Anyway, I think we should finish exploring the Wendol's area, which means going back to that one door. After that, a trip back to The Keep would probably be advisable. I have spoken to Nimbar about this, and he agrees. What say you and Quixt?"
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke and Nimbar both agree that returning here after visiting The Keep would be a good idea. The whole party gathers up the loot, and proceeds back down the hallway, to where the last, unexplored door is.

0841BCF4-94D7-46F8-BF6C-CAC80F90509F.png

GM:
NOTE: Look at the map above, and discuss in LINE chat which room number you'd like to visit; for sake of expediency, given that this is a PbP game, I will tell you that none of the hallways are trapped, although the doors MIGHT be. You should still exercise some degree of caution. There might also be traps in the rooms themselves. The party should discuss and decide who will be the trapfinder of the party. Lastly, there could also be alarm spells, even in the hallways, although it's probably a moot point at this juncture; such spells would alert the Wendol Witch Mother, who is dead, along with her contingent of body guards.


Nimbar says, "We should probably check this door for traps, since it's my guess that it leads to a major area. Who wants to examine the door?"

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
NOTE:
As per our phone conversation yesterday, Sphynx will check the door for traps.

Roll: (20) + Skill (10) = 30.
(DC was 25; Success!)


Sphynx, you find a simple poisoned needle trap.

GM:
Roll: (14) + Skill (11) = 25.
(DC was 25; Success!)


Sphynx motions for everyone to stand back; he then showboats a little, using the tip of his dagger to trigger the mechanism, and then dislodge the needle, causing it to fall to the floor, rather than retracting back into the lock. Sphynx wipes the needle with a scrap piece of cloth from his pocket, and then uses poured wine from Tellerian's wineskin to further clean it, since he doesn't have any rubbing alcohol on hand.

Sphynx then slowly opens the door, revealing a staircase heading downward, into a deeper part of the complex.

Hawke muses, "I wonder if this is where they keep their prisoners, before sacrificing them to their dark gods?"

Nimbar frowns, nodding in confirmation, "That is very likely, my friend. If there are still-living captives down here, we must free them immediately. But what I fear the most is that we won't find anyone left to save down here. Do you notice how eerily quiet it is?"

EVERYONE: Which room number (see map above) do you want to start at? (Rooms # 60-64) ?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Moving cautiously down the stairs and into the new territory. If a light source is needed, he will call back for Hawke, who he thinks has one at the ready. As the first division is to the right, He suggests taking that option.
OOC: 17
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sphynx is the first to approach the door to Room #64. (See map.) He walks a bit ahead of the party, moving quietly, if not perfectly silent.
GM: Move Silent: 10 + (5) = 15.


Upon reaching the door, Sphynx spies a padlock on the handle, and also takes note of the sliding "window" (about 6" square) in the middle of of the door. It looks as if opening the window would cause a brief moment of noise, from metal scraping on metal.

Sphynx examines the padlock, and it is easy to tell that it's not trapped. It's a standard chest lock.
GM: Search: 10 + (6) = 16.


Sphynx quietly picks the padlock.
GM: Open Lock: 7 + (17) = 24.


Sphynx then turns to the others, and indicates that the room may be entered, if so desired. Or perhaps the window could be opened for a peek inside.

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx digs around in his pockets and pouches until he produces a small vial of oil. He shows it to the others indicating his intention to ty to slide open the viewing portal.
OOC: d20 = 12
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Sphynx's Move Silent: +10
Application of Oil: +3
Base Roll Posted By Sphynx: 12
TOTAL ATTEMPT: 10+3+12 = 25
Misc. Roll = 15 (+1) = 16
25>16;
SUCCESS!


Sphynx applies a liberal amount of oil to the little window grate, and slides it open, as quiet as a whisper.

Inside the 20 x 20 room, thanks to the presence of 4 torches (1 on each wall) can be seen numerous skeletons scattered upon the floor, except for two that are still chained to the wall. The walls are adorned with a total of 7 pairs of chains. Besides the two skeletons, there is also a robed figure chained to the wall, in the southeast corner of the room. The figure is facing away from the door, and is sitting very still, shivering slightly from the cold, damp air. The figure makes no verbal noise, and does not seem to notice that anyone is looking through the grate. The robe is a hooded garment, and the hood is pulled over the figure's head, probably in an effort to keep as warm as possible. The figure coughs briefly, and very weakly, but still says nothing, although from the tenor of the cough, you surmise that the figure might be female. Or perhaps a young child. It does not sound like a man's cough.

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Once the others have had a chance to peer through the view portal and not particularly needing to ready a weapon, Sphynx indicates, by sign, that he intends to enter the room, leaving the barring door, open. Once entered, he will first scan the room to see if he can sense any magic (Innate ability), then move toward the robed figure to get a look at its face. He is wary of the skeletons, having been apprised of previous necromantic endeavors.
OOC: d20: 14
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sphynx is NOT attempting to Move Silently.
Robed Figure Listen Skill vs. DC 10 = 16.
Robed Figure hears Sphynx approaching.
Robed Figure Bluff skill = [+9] = 18+9 = 27 total.
Sphynx Sense Motive skill = [+6] = 14+6 = 20 total.
Sphynx is fooled! Sphynx does NOT get a bonus to his initiative.
Robed Figure Initiative w/ +5 bonus for fooling Sphynx = (5+5) = 10.
Sphynx's Initiative (no bonus, no penalty) = 10. [Tied.]
Robed Figure's Dex = 15; Sphynx's Dex = 19. Sphynx wins the tie.
Sphynx's lightning reflexes have saved him once again!

Hawke Sense Motive = 13 (Fails; Hawke is fooled. No bonus to initiative.)

Nimbar Sense Motive = 27 (Tie; Medusa's Wis = 13, Nimbar's Wis = 18; Nimbar wins the tie! Nimbar gets a +5 to his initiative!)

Anyone who beats the Medusa's initiative has the option to avert their eyes. Anyone who doesn't is SURPRISED, and will not avert their eyes. Those who beat the Medusa's initiative by 5 or more during the initial round may attack her normally, and THEN avert their eyes, because that is enough time to beat the activation of her gaze power.

Those who don't avert their eyes must make a Fortitude save, DC 15, at the beginning of the Medusa's turn, if they are within 30 feet.

Every round thereafter, the party can choose to avert their eyes. If they do so, they may NOT target the Medusa with spells, and will take a -2 penalty to their AC, And suffer a 50% miss chance on both ranged and melee attacks, as if they were blind. The player also suffers -4 on all Strength and Dexterity based skill checks, as well as a -4 penalty to Search. However, averting one's eyes means that the Medusa cannot use her gaze, unless she closes with an opponent and grapples him. (Successful grapple = the Medusa can force her gaze upon her opponent.)

Initiative Count:

Nimbar = 17
Hawke = 16
Sphynx = 10a
Quixt = 10b
Medusa = 10c

Sphynx casually enters the room, not trying to be especially loud, but not attempting to move silently, either.

As he approaches the robed figure, trying to see its face, the hairs on the back of Nimbar's neck stand up. Nimbar cries out a warning, but it is too late! The figure turns to face Sphynx and the rest of the group, throwing back the hood of its robe, to reveal a woman's face, with green skin, long fangs, and snakes for hair! It is a MEDUSA!!

The Medusa HISSES, "Curse you, and your masters! I am NO ONE's slave!! Look upon me, and despair! Your DOOM is at hand!!"

GM:
We're waiting on Quixt to submit rolls. When combat starts, Nimbar will go first. Nimbar beats her initiative by more than 5, so he can target her with spells during the initial round of combat.
 
Last edited:

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top