3.5 GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
THE JOURNEY BACK TO THE KEEP:

GM:
Defeated in combat:
4 Nomads, 11 Kobolds, 4 Hobgoblins.
XP Total: 5,700
Divided By Three: 1,900 xp. to each party member for combat valor.

Story Award: Gather enough Rose Gold Iron Ore from Kobold Weaponry to fulfill Sir Walter's purpose: +750 each character.

Roleplaying bonus:
+750 each character.

TOTAL XP AWARD PER CHARACTER: 3,400 xp.

Bonus XP for Sphynx:


Idea to pick up Kobold bodies: +500 xp.




GM:
Treasure recovered from bodies:
210 silver pieces.
75 gold pieces.
3 more suits of Masterwork, Kobold-sized Leather Armor (Total: 7)
3 more Masterwork Rose Gold Machetes (same stats as Short Sword) (Total: 7)
6 more Masterwork Rose Gold Spears (same stats as Javelin) (Total: 14)


GM:
Chance for random encounters while waiting on the party (Camels): 1 in 10.
One check every 4 hours. Time between party arrival and current departure time: 29 hours. (7 checks): 10,7,8,6,8,5,5. (No encounters.)

It is 9:00 PM when the party decides to return to the keep.
It takes 9.5 hours to reach the Keep from here.
It will take 15 minutes to bundle up the captured gear into a single "bunch" that can easily be carried by Hawke (by hefting it with one arm onto his shoulder.) Once the party reaches the camels, the bundle can be added to the camel's pack without difficulty.

The party will reach the Keep at 6:45 am on the following day
(Coldeven 21, CY 576.)


On the journey back, Hawke makes a comment.

Hawke says, "You know, these camels were lucky to rest undisturbed for so many hours with no one to attend them. Next time, we might not be so lucky. When we return, it might wise to hire some guards to come with us, and stay with the animals. What say you?"

Nimbar agrees, "Agreed, I don't think it's a very dangerous job, since we hide them so well, and so far away from the ravine. I don't think we will have a problem finding someone willing to do it. What are your thoughts, Sphynx? I'd bet we could could hire some guards for no more than 3 silver per guard per day, plus provisions. I think it would be worth it to have the animals protected."
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx swished his mouth back and forth, thinking. "I understand the logic, but I fear the end result may be the same either way. Ah, we should hire the guards and then leave the camels with them a few hours walk from the ravine, to travel in on foot. I would rather our presence remain less obvious to the denizens of the ravine."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
DM SUPPLEMENTAL POST:

GM:
3 more suits of Masterwork, Kobold-sized Leather Armor (Total: 7)
3 more Masterwork Rose Gold Machetes (same stats as Short Sword) (Total: 7)
6 more Masterwork Rose Gold Spears (same stats as Javelin) (Total: 14)

Leather armor base cost (small) = 5 gp.

Masterwork = +150 gp.

=================================
Value of Kobold Masterwork Leather: 155 gp.
=================================

===================================
Rose Gold Iron Ore, value per ounce: 15 gp.
===================================


Drogonspine spear head: 8" long, weighing 2 oz. per inch. (Thus, 8" spear head weighs 1 lb.)

Dragonspine machete blade: 12" long, weighing about 24 oz. (1.5 lbs.)

Rose Gold Spear Head value: 240 gp.
Rose Gold Machete Blade value: 360 gp.

Material cost will be figured into Masterwork cost for weaponry, with excess value applied at the end.

Masterwork weapons = base cost + 300 gp.
Small short sword base cost: 5 gp.
Small javelin base cost: 1 gp.

==============================
Value of Rose Gold Spear: 301 gp.
Value of Rose Gold Machete: 365 gp.
==============================

Totals: (Market Value):

Armor: 155 x 7 = 1,085 gp.
Machetes: 365 x 7 = 2,555 gp.
Spears: 301 x 8 = 2,408 gp.
(There are actually 14, but Sir Walter was promised 6 of them.)

GRAND TOTAL: 6,048 gp. value.

You can likely get between 60 and 70 percent of this amount from a merchant. (between 3,628 and 4,233); perhaps more from Sir Walter, if you're willing to wait.




GM:

DM CLARIFICATION:

I am basically offering the party a way to pay a "maintenance fee" for animal security; no matter where you actually place your mounts, they have a random chance of being stolen or eaten by a passing monster or NPC; but if you agree to the cost, I will skip the encounter checks, and simply assume that the animals are safe. Basically, it amounts to a 2gp. per day "fee," (1 gp. per day for 3 guards, 1 gp. per day for their provisioning,) which will also serve to improve your reputation in the region, since that will make you an "active employer."

 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Downtime Activities:
4 days x new level attained (4th level) = 16 days downtime.
Under 10th level = characters can be "self-taught," i.e., no mentor needed.
Cost of Inn Room for 16 days: 5 sp. per night x 16 = 80 silver = 8 gold.
(x3 chars: 24 gold.)
Cost of meals for 16 days: 2 sp. per meal, 3 meals per day = 6 sp. per day = 6 x 16 = 96 sp. = 10 gold (with a 4 sp. tip.)
(x3 chars: 30 gold.) (12 sp. worth of tips given.)
The waitresses appreciate the party's generosity, and propensity for paying for everything in advance. (+1 Party Reputation)

Scribing Info: (Nimbar): 75 gp. / 6 xp. / 1 day down = 2nd level scroll.
Researching New Spell: 1 week per spell level. 1,000 gp. cost per week.
Spellcraft check: DC 10 + Spell Level.
(2nd Level Spell = 2 weeks / 2,000 gp. / DC 12)

Diplomacy (Obtaining good market price) vs. Merchant.
Nimbar's Diplomacy: +7 (Minimum 8, Maximum 27)
Merchant will give Nimbar 50% of market value, plus 1% per point of success achieved. Merchant begins transaction as Indifferent. If Nimbar hits DC 15 (Friendly) there will be a 5% bonus. If Nimbar hits DC 20 (Helpful) there will be another 5% bonus. Nimbar's minimum roll (1) will give the party 58% of market value. Nimbar's best roll will give the party 82% of market value. (77% + 5% for achievement of Friendly DC. Nimbar isn't skilled enough to reach DC 30 yet.)

Hawke (Aid Another) DC 10 = (20) Success. Nimbar gets +2 to his check.
Sphynx (Aid Another) DC 10 = (11) Success. Nimbar gets +2 to his check.

Helpful (DC 30) attitude is now possible.

Nimbar's skill check (1d20+11) = (15) = Success (65%) + 5% Friendly bonus = 70%

6048 x 0.70 = 4,233 gp. and 6 sp.

Each character receives 1,411 gp. and 2 sp. as his share of the sale.

+3 to Party Reputation. (Total Reputation = +4)



During the downtime, Nimbar discovers that the loan bank (building #11 on the map) not only lends money and sells safe deposit boxes, but that they also sell various merchandise (leftover from people who didn't pay their safe deposit fees on time); among the things that they offer for sale, are a pile of books on various topics. For 10 gp., Nimbar picks up a book entitled, "Baerghum's Theory of Relative Dynamics as Applied to Force-Based Enchantments." He looks very pleased with himself when he joins the group back at the tavern for lunch.

Nimbar says, "Ok, Tellerian, so I need some gold. I don't have quite enough. I need to borrow 589 gold pieces, which will allow me to buy enough premium velum from the provisioner to finish a project I've been working on. I promise you it will help us on our current venture! You see, this book that I just bought has information within it, on how to improve the casting of certain spells, and by the time I get through reading it, I should be able to cast a more powerful version of my shield spell, which in turn, will keep me safer for longer, and--"

Hawke interrupts Nimbar: "ENOUGH! I'll give you the dang gold, but please shut up about what it's for before my ears start to bleed!"Hawke says, jokingly, with a smile. "You know, before long, I'm going to own you like an indentured servant! If I give you 589 gold, that will bring the total that you owe me to 780!! You'd better make good on it, old pal!"

After agreeing to give him the gold to buy vellum, the party does not see Nimbar for the better part of two weeks. Every morning, Nimbar rents a private room to study in, and only shows his face for meals and bedtime. At the end of the two weeks, Nimbar is proud to show off his newly completed spell, which he calls Nimbar's Improved Shield.

GM:
14 Days downtime. 2.000 gp. cost. DC 12 for 2nd level spell.
Nimbar's Spellcraft check: 1d20+12. Minimum result =13.
(Cannot fail this roll.)


Feel free to state what your character does during this downtime. If you need help, feel free to ask me anything in LINE chat.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DM Supplemental Post:
Hawke also loans Nimbar an additional 150 gp. that he says need not be paid back, so that Nimbar can use his last two days of downtime to scribe 2 scrolls. Nimbar will scribe 2 scroll copies of his new Improved Shield spell, so that he can free up spell slots for other uses.

Nimbar will spend 12 xp. from his magic pool, in order to scribe the two scrolls.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
During the downtime, Hawke manages to befriend the captain of the guard, a man by the name of Emil Al'Tabar, a renowned warrior who dual wields as Hawke does, using a saber and main gauche dagger. Every day, just after breakfast, Hawke watches as Emil calls the guardsmen to order, and issues their daily assignments. Afterwards, he and Emil spar for the better part of an hour, the result being that Emil usually gets the better of Hawke. Despite Hawke's size and strength, Emil is still faster, and obviously, far more experienced. He shows Hawke many flaws in his counterstroke technique, and helps him practice to overcome them.

At one point, the two guards whom had initially vowed to keep an eye on the party out of spite, realize the error of their ways, and seem to forget their grudge. You surmise that it is a mixture of the party's growing reputation, Hawke's newfound friendship with Emil, and Hawke's demonstrated prowess during the sparring sessions; although Emil is the superior fighter, there is no doubt that Hawke is himself competent, and well-trained.

At one point, Hawke asks Sphynx, "I know darts are more your thing, would you like to throw for pints? A pint per game? It's a lot better use of the dart than picking your teeth, ha ha."

Until his jest gets a response, Hawke returns to his sparring session with Emil. If the reply is positive, Hawke's mood will improve greatly, due to the fact that he is the "happy drunk" kind of drinker, and because his self-control is quite low when it comes to good ale, no matter who's buying.

GM:
At this point, the party is ready to re-provision and return to the caves. However, I am still waiting on responses (via LINE chat) on whether or not the other two players have finished their characters. I am giving them until Thursday to be ready; if not, I will post sometime on Thursday and advance the storyline again.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
At one point, Hawke asks Sphynx, "I know darts are more your thing, would you like to throw for pints? A pint per game? It's a lot better use of the dart than picking your teeth, ha ha."
Sphynx laughs at the big man. "You're on! But, these things I wear are hunting darts. I do not think the tavern would appreciate us throwing things with a blade the length of my forearm. We will need to see if the tavern has some of their own. Who knows, perhaps we can take some money from the guards."

After it comes to the attention of Sphynx that he and his friends no longer have a constant shadow, he plies his own skill at espionage. He will take to cautiously following the guards that were following him, seeing if they have any patterns or anomalies to note. He also spends some time seeing if he can scale a building or two and move around the rooftops. When alone, if he happens upon small animals or birds, he will attempt to put them to sleep, having bastardized the magic from seeing Nimbar perform it.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
As it turns out, the tavern's darts, although significantly shorter than Sphynx's, are indeed bladed. The darts are about 5 inches long, with a double-edged blade, and a ring pommel.
4DC23EF1-C635-47F4-9639-9E22B2DC2804.jpeg
When it comes down to it, Sphynx is surprised to see that Hawke can hold his own in a throwing contest, although he still manages to edge Hawke out, winning 6 games out of 10. A pair of guards challenges Hawke and Sphynx to a team match, which ends badly for the guards, at a final score of 8 games out of 10 in the party's favor. The night's contest ends with Hawke and both of the guards totally smashed, after consuming copious amounts of Ale. Sphynx shows a bit more restraint, getting only a slight buzz, while still enjoying the competition.

Walking around during the evening, Sphynx decides not to climb any of the buildings; the parapet wall around the entire keep is a good 15 feet higher than most of the rooftops, allowing the guards a good view of anything going on inside the keep atop any of the rooftops, aside from the towers; however, the rooftop of each tower has its own personal guard on duty.

The guards that were previously agitated don't seem to have any abnormalities about their routines; in fact, they are pretty regular. You surmise that their quick tempers and grudge holding are a product of the boredom of their current lifestyle, given that the keep is well-guarded, very secure, and seldom challenged.

As for the animals, Sphynx is successful in putting 4 rats to sleep, which he discovers coming into the keep through a fist-sized hole that the rodents have dug under the south wall.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DM PREPATORY NOTES:

The party made it back to the keep on Coldeven 21, CY 576. They took 16 days of downtime. During the downtime, Growfest occurred; Growfest is the celebration of the beginning of planting season. Growfest is a 7-day festival, during which each night is a feast, using up the last of the previous winter's food stores; the idea is that planting is beginning, harvest will follow, and new food stores will be put up. Back home, the start of planting season is a rainy, muddy time, interspersed with cool, sunny days. Here in the desert, it's much hotter, although the river IS in the process of flooding its banks, delivering much-needed irrigation to the otherwise dry landscape.

The party re-provisions itself on the last day of downtime (Planting 1st.)

The party sets out back to the caves on Planting 2, CY 576, at 5:00 AM.

It takes 9.5 hours to reach the Keep from here.

The party will arrive at the ravine at 2:00 PM.

Most of the Humanoids will be in their caves at that point, but caution must be taken on behalf of the Human tribesmen who also live there; without question, they will be out and about in different areas, and in large numbers.

**STORYLINE POST COMING SOON.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The party travels the road with no encounters, and steps into the forest at the same point as before. The camels are tied at the same place, about 50 meters into the forest, so as not to be visible from the road, but not deep enough in to attract attention from the ravine inhabitants, either. The only real danger to the camels will be predatory animals, but Nimbar has come prepared on this trip. As he casts a spell, he explains:

Nimbar explains, "This is an Alarm spell. It will last for most of the day, probably about 6 hours. The spell will mentally notify me if anything gets near the camels."

GM: Sphynx, you can now roll Spellcraft DC 16 to see if you can understand Nimbar's spell.


After leaving the camels behind, the party begins to hear voices as they approach the ravine where the caves are. Approaching quietly and unseen, the party observes a disturbing scene.

GM:
Hawke Hide Check: 14 / Nimbar Hide Check: 11
Hawke Silent Check: 11 / Nimbar Silent Check: 26
Sphynx Hide Check: 11 / Sphynx Silent Check: 14

Base DCs To Detect Party: Spot DC 11 / Listen DC 11

Modifiers:
Distance (100 ft.) = +2 to DC (+1 for every 50' of distance)
Subjects Pre-Occupied With Task = +1 to DC
TOTAL DC: (11+3) = DC14.
Wendol results: 11, 8 (Both fail.)

DM Comment: Wow, you guys lucked out.


The Tribesmen, numbering 15 in all, all of whom are wearing ceremonial-looking robes and jewelry, are being commanded in the Eryptian tongue by a woman, also clad in ceremonial robes, holding a large, wooden staff in her hand. When she moves, the party hears the tell-tale clink of chainmail beneath her robes.

The Tribesmen are arranging the bare corpses of several (Hawke counts 12) of their dead brethren in a neat row, and filling their mouths with a dark, viscous, syrup-like liquid.
Priestess: "That's it, my children. That's it. Do not fear, the souls of your brothers are proud and happy to have this chance to serve us again, after death. Their spirits are in paradise, and they delight in the knowledge that their bodies still grant us protection and solace. Tonight, when the moon is at its zenith, your dead brothers will arise, and you shall fight alongside them once more. Not even death can stay the loyal Wendol from his true task of defending his people and his queen."
Religion Check DC 13: (20) = Success. These bodies are being prepared to become Zombies. Unless their mouths are washed of the goo with holy water, and then stuffed with either holy wafers or with mistletoe, they will rise as zombies when the moon reaches its zenith tonight. This is a ritual which is associated with the god Set. In order to revere Set, these tribesmen must be diabolical and evil, and completely without remorse; Set does not tolerate sympathy, mercy, or empathy among his followers. Followers of Set hold a different set of "virtues" dear: ambition, lust, greed, and cruelty.
After the bodies are arranged, the ceremony moves into one of chanting and ritual dance, lasting another 20 minutes. After the ritual is concluded, the Wendol form a single-file line, and proceed solemnly back to their cave, which is location #11 on the players map.

The party can detect no Humanoid activity in the area. After the Wendol return to their cave, there is an eerie sense of quiet to the ravine. The party knows that there ARE Humanoids awake at this hour, mostly the posted guards who stand watch while the rest of their kind sleep. But because of their general sensitivity to light, you suspect that their guard posts are probably well-within the confines of their respective caves.

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx frowns hard and grinds his teeth. He hates necromancers. Not only was he enslaved by one, but, later, his vision by Bast strengthened that animosity. Ironically, his own talent is necromantic, but he had no other source from which to learn. ~Fight fire with fire... Fire! Hmm.~

He turns to his comrades after it is safe to speak. "I understand some of this. We will want to take some time to deal with it now before it becomes a big problem later. We don't have the materials to deal with this ritualistically so we should improvise. I am pretty good at improvising."

"That necromancer, bitch, is animating these corpses. We should go cut off their heads, carry those heads away from here some distance, and then burn them. The bodies are irrelevant."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Knowing that among ALL Eryptian deities, that such rituals are usually followed by feasting, and other ceremonies, Sphynx recommends that the party act NOW, while they are occupied as such. The party gathers the heads, and carefully bundles them into two, large, burlap sacks, which Hawke had stored in his haversack. You are careful not to touch the black ooze, as well as to position the heads so that the ooze does not leak through the bag. The sacks, each with 6 heads, are quite heavy, so Hawke volunteers to carry them. The party carries the heads a good deal Southeast, which is in the direction of the road, but still well away from the hiding place of the camels. The party quickly digs a small pit, and lines the outer edge with stones, to prevent the fire from spreading. Then the sacks are placed in the pit, and lit on fire.

GM:
Each character in the party earns 500 xp. for destroying the Zombie heads.


When the party returns to the ravine an hour later, everything is still as they left it. There is no activity; an uneasy silence pervades the area.

Hawke says, "Ok, so far so good. I say we stay on track to acquire more Rose Gold. Let's hit the Kobold cave fast and hard, and pile up some more wealth for ourselves. What say the two of you?"

Nimbar smiles, "Well, when you put it that way, who can argue with sound reasoning?"

SPHYNX: What are your thoughts?
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
APPROACHING THE KOBOLD CAVE:

Hawke, Nimbar, and Sphynx make their way back to the copse of trees where the Kobolds had been laying out their ambush site.

From your vantage point, at the northern edge of the copse, you can see that the cave goes back 30 feet, before making a T-intersection left and right.

To your great surprise, there is a young, human man here, clad in a chainmail shirt, wearing both a backpack and a quiver of hunting arrows on his back, and a short sword on his left hip. He has a shortbow in his hand, with one arrow nocked, but he is holding the bow gingerly, not putting any tension whatsoever on the string. He is standing perfectly still at the cave entrance, as if listening. He has not noticed the party's approach. You surmise that he is, perhaps, an adventurer.

Hawke whispers, "Who is this guy? And why is here alone? He's either the bravest warrior ever, or the most foolhardy."

Nimbar answers, also whispering: "Not so loud, you big oaf! He might be the scout for a larger group. Should we attempt to talk to him? There's no telling whether or not he's friendly."
GM:
Hawke: speak softly (Move Silent): 1+6 = 7.
Nimbar: speak softly: 20+8 = 28.


Quixt: Make a Listen check, DC 7. Sphynx: What do you do?
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Quixt: Your result of (14) overhears Hawke's comment! Someone behind you, probably hidden in the trees, is talking about you behind your back! Pun intended!
What do you do?
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Quixt:
His ears pick up the presence of someone behind him near the copse of trees. He isn’t startled, as the movement seems loud and clumsy. He moves out of the tunnel’s yawn in order to position himself to run if necessary, just in case his instincts are mistaken.
“You can come out now.” His now is at the ready, with a bit of tension on the drawstring, but it’s pointed at the ground and obviously not threatening.
If you are going to attack me, be about it. Or move along. There are Kobolds about. You don’t smell like a Kobold. Or a troll.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke signals Nimbar and Sphynx with his hand, motioning for them to stay hidden. He steps out of the tree cover, with his hands raised and empty.

Hawke smiles and says, "Relax, my good man, I am neither a Kobold nor a Troll. I'm an adventurer, like yourself. I am Tellerian Hawke, and I hail from some distance away, from a town called Willip, in the Kingdom of Furyondy. Who might you be? And where do you hail from?"

The man speaking to you is enormous; he is over 7 feet tall, with a lean, athletic build. He is dressed in finely-made studded leather armor, and carries two hammers on his back. His shoulder-length, raven black hair is unkempt and swept to the side. His icy, blue eyes are piercing, yet honest. To your surprise, he openly wears a steel disc on a silver chain, engraved with an upside-down hammer, a well-known insignia for the clergy of the god of thunder, Thor Odinsson. He doesn't have the look of a priest, but there is no mistaking which deity he serves. You breathe a sigh of relief, because the followers of Thor are known to be honorable men, albeit somewhat intolerant of fools, bullies, and cowards. ~A useful and powerful ally, but if angered, a fearsome and intimidating foe.~ Quixt muses to himself.
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Quixt:
Well now, big fella. Good day! I’d like to have you on my side in a bar fight. Glimmerfall, Quixt Glimmerfall, at your service. I understand that my people are originally from far afield east of here also, the western hills of Yeomanry, in Loftwick, closer than your Furyondy, but still in its ordit. However, I have lived in Erypt for much of my life.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawke nods, "Aye, Loftwick. I know of it. Never been there, but my mother lived there for a time, before I was born. So what brings you here, to this hostile valley, filled with foes, all by yourself? Are you lost?"

At this point, Nimbar steps out from behind cover. He adds, "No, my friend, people like him are never lost. He's just confident in his abilities. And if they got him this far unnoticed, then he has every right to be. But let me say this,"

Nimbar pauses for effect before continuing, "You might be bigger, stronger, and more well-trained than the Kobolds, Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Tribesmen that have been hanging around here, but if you think you can lick 'em all by yourself, you're sadly mistaken. You should join up with us instead. Not only is there safety in numbers, but efficiency as well. A careful and capable squad of well-trained scrappers like us could end this threat in short order. What say you? Join our company? The name's Nimbar, by the way. Nimbar Gustavsson."

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Sphynx: You should go ahead and introduce yourself at this point. We need to get the game moving. I believe that there has already been sufficient conversation for the sake of being realistic. So go ahead and make your introductory speech, and then state your intentions for moving forward into the cave.
 

Advertisement

Top