3.5 GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Deciding that the trap is sprung, Sphynx moves into action. He rises to his feet with the fluidity of a cat preparing for launch, but does not move directly for the prey. He releases one of his hunting darts at the least wary adversary and steps to create a flanking position with one of his companions, if possible.
OOC: attack: d20+4 = 16
OOC: +4 is my standard bonus. I do not know if there is a bonus for surprise.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
(+1 to Attack Roll for Point Blank Range)
Attack roll vs. AC 14: (17) = Hit.
Base Damage (1d4) = 4 pts.
Sneak Attack (1d6) = 5 pts.
(+1 to Damage Roll gor Point Blank Range)
Total Damage = 10 pts.
The unwary tribesman has suffered a significant wound!


Sphynx steps halfway from cover, still behind the two tribesmen, and throws a hunting dart at one of them, sinking it into the flesh of his upper back, just below the base of the neck.

The tribesman yelps with surprise, as his knees buckle, and he stumbles forward; he does not lose his balance completely, managing to remain upright, but he is obviously in a great deal of pain, clawing with futility at the piece of metal stuck in his back.

GM:
Nimbar is next, but I don't have time to post his move right now. Hang tight!
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Color Spray DC 15
Wendol: 14, 3 (both fail); Stunned for 3 rounds.
Stunned opponents drop what they're holding, can't take actions, take a -2 penalty to AC, and lose their Dex bonus to AC.
Current AC: 11


Nimbar raises his hand, releasing a cone of colored rays; the rays strike the tribesmen hard, slapping them senseless, although not knocking them down. Both tribesmen stare blankly, wobbling and bobbing as if they were drunk on wine.

GM:
Hawke: Charge & Pounce: 25, 27, 23 (3 hits)
Damage: 1d8+5, 1d8+5, 1d4+2 (13,7,3)


Hawke charges from cover, leaping into the fray, coming down HARD with his lead hammer on the skull of the one that Sphynx attacked only moments before! There is a sickening crunch as the tribesman slumps to the ground!

GM:
13 pts. damage.
Wendol is at -4. Wendol is down and bleeding out.


Hawke slams his hammers into the remaining tribesman, dislocating his left shoulder, and breaking 4 ribs on the left side! The tribal warrior cannot answer, his body still saturated with spell energies, rendering him unable to respond.

GM:
10 pts. damage; significant wound


At this point, the remaining Wendol is a lost cause; with three opponents in melee range, and being unable to defend himself, it is only a matter of moments before he is put down, for good.

Combat has ended! EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx smiles and nods at his friends. He retrieves his dart and cleans it before putting it away. He looks around to see if any other threat approaches. “Let’s move these bodies off in the brush a bit. We should be able to do it without leaving drag marks.”

Afterward, he peruses the bodies looking anything of value or seeming importance.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hiding the bodies is easy; you drag the two fresh bodies over to where the first body was hidden the day before, and make a surprising discovery: huge (3/4" long!) army ants have already consumed about 40% of the flesh on the first body, and you surmise that in 2-3 more days, it will be nothing but bones. You also surmise that a similar fate awaits these two bodies as well.

Between the three of you, it is a simple matter to throughly disguise / cover up any tracks or drag marks.

Your search finds little in the way of value; the hide armor that these tribesmen wear is stiff, and heavily impedes movement (Speed: 20); the weapons (1 knife, 1 spiked club, 2 javelins each) are crude, and worth very little money. The spiked clubs, in particular, are rather heavy, and not well-balanced.

However, one of the tribesmen DOES have a small jewel, whose base value you estimate to be 150 gp.; which means a merchant would likely pay between 75 and 100 gp. for it.

Hawke says, "What's our next move?"
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Hiding the bodies is easy... you surmise that in 2-3 more days, it will be nothing but bones.
Sphynx smiles at the fortuitous discovery. “This is almost as good as a pig farm.”
DM said:
Your search finds little in the way of value...
Sphynx takes the worthless items and tosses them in random directions, especially the weapons.

DM said:
However, one of the tribesmen DOES have a small jewel...
Sphynx pockets the jewel for party inventory.
GM said:
Hawke says, "What's our next move?"
Sphynx shrugs. “Originally you were looking for Kobolds. Seems these cretins were discussing them as well. We can move back into one the caves or we can poach more of these bandits beforehand, if their presence continues to be prevalent.”
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Nimbar says, "I think we should retreat again, and wait. We need to keep watch, and see if we can spot any Kobolds in the area; there are 11 caves in the ravine, by my count. We know that one cave was Goblin-inhabited, one belonged to our dead Ogre friend, and the other is the home of these warrior-tribesmen. That leaves 8 possibilities left. In fact, if we can wait for a quiet time, when no one is stirring, I'd bet we could find and follow Kobold tracks in the main area of the ravine."

Hawke says, "Isn't that risky? Searching the main part of the ravine would leave us exposed and vulnerable to discovery, not to mention ambush."

Nimbar replies, "There's always a risk involved. Staying in the Ogre cave, for instance, is risky as the Nine Hells. But we need to get this show on the road."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx snickers quietly. He is always quiet, most especially when it may be necessary. “I would not compare this Ogre cave to the Nine Hells, but I agree with Nimbar. I can be pretty sneaky despite my pasty skin.”
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The party makes it back to the Ogre cave without incident; the rest of the day passes in tense silence, as the three of you wait it out in well-hidden positions. At one point, there is heightened activity just outside, near the mouth of the ravine. With three tribesmen missing, it is obvious that the others are becoming concerned.

GM: Search roll: (16); Party's counter-tracking roll to hide the bodies: (24) = Search fails.


Although there is a lot of movement and talking, no shouts of discovery or cries of alarm are heard. It's obvious that the three missing tribesmen are a problem, but without evidence of foul play, the others seem content to let the matter go. After a few hours, you hear the tribesmen's voices getting fainter, as they move up the ravine into their cave dwelling.

A few minutes after the tribesmen's voices have faded, you hear the distinct voices and guttural grunts and snorts of Humanoid speech. You suspect perhaps Orcs, or Hobgoblins, or maybe both. The sun has set at this point, and the twilight is quickly turning to night. The Humanoids, whoever they are, start milling around, talking, snorting, laughing, and making noises as if they were in the middle of performing mundane tasks. There are many copses of trees in the ravine, which serve to hide some of the cave entrances. Nimbar suggests that some of the noise might simply be related to the gathering of firewood.

As the night wears on, new voices are heard; these voices have a canine quality to them, almost Hyena-like; Hawke says that there can be no mistake: there are Gnolls about. Of the possible Humanoids one might encounter, Gnolls are among the most dangerous, second only to Bugbears. Gnolls are known for their ferocity and high morale. They are relentless, once they have the scent of prey.

Nimbar says. "Don't worry, as long as we're in this smelly, old Ogre cave, they won't catch our scent."

As the party continues to wait, they finally hear what they have been waiting for: small, screechy voices, speaking in Draconic! At one point, there is the sounds of scuffling and grunting, and angry Humanoid shouting. The shouting is answered by the small screeching:

Kobold #1 (In Draconic): "That's mine, you big oaf. I took it off the fat merchant we captured last week. If you don't keep your hands off it, I'm going to tell the Cave Mother!"

Kobold #2 (In Draconic): "He can't understand you. Speak in Goblin. Only the Gnolls and the Cave Mother can speak our language."

Kobold #1 utters something in a language that no one understands; there is more Humanoid grunting and sputtering, followed by the sound of receding footstomps. Apparently, whomever left, did so in a disgruntled fashion.

Kobold #2, Laughing: "I love the looks on their faces when we threaten them with the Cave Mother. They truly are scared of the old witch. She is a wise seer, and a skilled potion maker, but she is not powerful."

Kobold #1: "It's not her they fear, it's her son, Grendel. They say the reason for his strength is that she made a pact to share her bed with a devil. Come on, let's go finish laying the trap. Three of the tribesmen have gone missing without a trace. That means there's mercenaries about. Or maybe adventurers. Probably come to rescue to the merchant."

The two voices fade off to the north. Thinking back to rough sketch you drew of the ravine's cave locations, with the Ogre cave being #5, and the Goblin lair being #4, you think that the Kobolds must be headed toward what you labeled as Cave #1.

GM: Thread Page 1, Reply #17.


It appears that no scouting will be necessary. The real question seems to be whether or not there are still other Humanoids in the vicinity, and whether or not the party wants to risk trying to rescue the merchant that they now know to be held captive.

SPHYNX: What are your thoughts?
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DM HOUSEKEEPING:
Coldeven 19, CY 576:
---10:00 AM: Party sees smoke.
---10:15 AM: Party discovers massacre / decides to follow the nomads.
---03:30 PM: Party reaches Caves of Chaos.
---03:45 PM: Sphynx silently kills the Nomad by the corral / sets horses free.
---04:00 PM: The party returns to the Ogre cave to rest. Rest period is 24 hours.
===DURING REST PERIOD: Conversations overhead @ ~7:30 PM===
Coldeven 20, CY 576:
---04:00 PM: Rest period complete.
---04:15 PM: Party returns to corral area.
---04:30 PM: Party ambushes the other two Nomads who are returning.
---04:45 PM: Party returns to Ogre cave.
---06:30 PM: Sun is beginning to set. (Twilight)
---06:40 PM: Party hears Nomads talking.
---07:45 PM: Suns sets / it is now night time. Moon is full, no complete darkness.
---08:00 PM: Party hears Humanoid voices.
---08:20 PM: Party hears Kobolds talking.
---08:25 PM: Kobolds leave to finish setting their "trap." [CURRENT TIME]
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx conveys that he would like to follow the kobolds, discretely and at a distance, to make sure of their destination.
It appears that this ravine is home to a variety of denizens, malevolent denizens. I think we should stick to your original task, first, and go straight at the kobolds. Freeing a fat merchant will be bonus.”
Hide: d20+7 = 21
Move: d20+6 = 19
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
13D39FEA-C1EB-4A24-ADDB-0BC4178F686A.jpeg

GM:
The Kobolds disappear into the copse of trees just south of Cave #1. Apparently, their "trap," whatever it is, is there. Hawke points to a narrow gap (indicated by the red arrows) where the party can cross from their wooded area to that of the Kobolds', while risking minimal exposure. The party agrees, and crosses at that point. As you cross the gap, you can hear screechy, Draconic-speaking Kobold voices ahead, talking to each other about their trap. The party has a +5 bonus to their stealth rolls (hide and move) because the Kobolds are distracted.

Sphynx: Hide 21 (+5= 26), Move 19 (+5= 24)
Nimbar: Hide 22 (+5= 27), Move 27 (+5= 32)
Hawke: Hide 11 (+5= 16), Move 7 (+5= 12)

Chance for nearby Humanoids as you cross the gap = 1 in 1d6.
Roll = 5 (Success! No one nearby!)

Nearest 2 Kobolds Listen & Spot:
Listen: 18,12 (Both hear something)
Spot: 20,13 (One of them sees Hawke!)

The other 6 Kobolds are too far away to hear or see the party.

Thus, 2 Kobolds will roll initiative, the other 6 will be surprised.


The Kobolds aren't setting a mechanical trap, they are busy putting spikes into trees, so that they can perch in them, and leap down on unsuspecting victims from above. As the party gets close enough to see this, Hawke unwittingly steps on a crunchy leaf, giving away his position. Nimbar curses as he hears the following words in Draconic:

Kobold #1: "Hey, look, there's someone over there!"

GM:
It is now time for initiative. There are 8 Kobolds within easy melee range, but only 2 of them are alert enough to act in the surprise round.

Sphynx: (27)
Nimbar: (20)
Hawke: (14)
Kobold #2: (8)
Kobold #1: (4)

 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Within the copse of trees, there is dense vegetation and foliage; vision is at 75% (i.e. missile attacks are made at -2 to hit, because of how difficult it is to see, and because of how many branches and bushes are in the way.)

Movement is also at 75%; those people with 30' move will be reduced to 20' move rate. (This includes the Kobolds as well.)

Line of sight for spells is not hindered, although spells which require a ranged touch attack will still be at a -2 penalty to hit.

Each square is 5 ft.

F64FCD14-6412-438E-B154-57EBEAA4B3EE.jpeg
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Not wanting to light up the dark with the illumination of a magic missile, Sphynx intends to ease around in front of Nimbar and cross behind the kobold as it makes its way toward Hawke, stabbing it in the back with his dagger. If unable to close enough, or if spotted, he will launch a dart, instead.
d20 = 14
Damage = d4 + d6 = 6
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Distance from Sphynx to Kobold #02: 25 ft.
Sphynx realizes that he needs to move slightly (1 square adjustment) to be within optimum range.
Adjusted range: 20 ft. (+1 to hit for being within PB range, less than 30')
Thrown weapon penalty from foliage: -2
Base d20 roll = 14; Modifier from Dex = +4. Total roll = 19.
19-2 = Hits AC 17. This hits.
Kobold is flat-footed / subject to sneak attack.
Damage: 6 pts. Kobold is down.


Seeing that his original intent has proven unfeasible, Sphynx takes a small step forward, and throws a dart at the closest Kobold (#02); the dart strikes the creature squarely in the chest, piercing both his thick, leather armor, and his rough, spiny hide. He grabs the dart, gasping in astonishment, with the apparent intent of removing it, but a wave of weakness overcomes him, and he crumples to the ground, his green, Draconic blood leaking onto the ground. Sphynx remains unseen at this point.

Nimbar and Hawke are up next. Stay tuned.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Nimbar casts Whelm. DC 15.
Kobold: 13 (Failed.)
Kobold #01 takes 5 points of non-lethal damage. Kobold is Staggered.
Hawke charges Kobold #05
Charge + Pounce: 20,29,15 (3 hits)
Damage: 11,6,5 = 22 pts. total damage.
Kobold is DEAD. [-17]


Nimbar, opting for subtlety, spreads him palm wide, and thrusts his arm forward, muttering quietly; Kobold #01 gets a look of confusion and weariness upon his countenance, as his mind is slammed with stunning energy. He does not cry out, but he does look as if he suddenly has a purpose in mind. What that purpose might be, is anyone's guess.

Hawke, without making a sound other than the crunching of leaves and twigs as he runs, closes the gap with the unsuspecting remaining Kobolds. At the end of his charge, he whirls around, bringing his hammers down three times upon Kobold #05, any of the three of which would have proved fatal. The unwary Kobold is struck DEAD in less than a fraction of a second.

GM:
To imagine what the Pounce ability looks like, imagine Jeff Speakman in the movie, "The Perfect Weapon," when he strikes multiple times in the space of a second with his Escrima Sticks.


Kobold #01, who is very wobbly on his feet thanks to Nimbar's spell, uses a move action to draw a javelin from his back-rig. He is moving slowly, and does not seem to be completely aware of his surroundings.


DA9202DF-B8BC-4656-9EAA-E04684DDDF31.jpeg

GM:

UPDATED INITIATIVE COUNT:

Sphynx: (27)
Nimbar: (20)
Hawke: (14)

All Other Kobolds: (8)
Kobold #02: (Bleeding out) (8) .....[Hit pts: -2]
Kobold #01: (4)



SPHYNX: It is once again your turn! Kobold #01 is still a threat, although he does not look to be 100% aware. None of the Kobolds (including #01) are flat-footed anymore; however, you can still throw your Dart with Sneak Attack, provided that you can make the necessary rolls to remain hidden. What do you do?
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx sees that the closest Kobold may still be an issue. He takes another dart and looses it at him, sliding forward a step as he does.
OOC: 5' adjustment
Hide: d20+7 = 19
Attack: d20 + 4 = 20
Damage: d4 + d6 = 6
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Sphynx Hide check: 19
Nimbar Hide check: 10
Hawke's Hide check: NIL (He is attacking)
Kobolds #'s 3,4,6,7,and 8 Spot checks: 22,20,22,6,10.
(Three of the five can see Sphynx and Nimbar.)
Kobold #1 (Staggered) Spot check: 14
(The staggered Kobold can see Nimbar, but is unaware of Sphynx.)
Sphynx's attack roll (20) hits.
Kobold #1 takes 6 pts. of real damage.
Kobold #1 collapses and begins to bleed out.
Nimbar casts a spell on himself and moves forward 20 ft.


4BF66154-F96F-44FA-98BE-6D4BB75E76A9.jpeg

Seeing that Kobold #1 is still a threat, Sphynx launches another dart. It is obvious that some of the other Kobolds have spotted Sphynx, as evidenced by the looks of dismay on their faces, as they helplessly watch their comrade, still confused and not completely aware, fall victim to Sphynx's second dart. As before, the leather armor and tough hide prove unable to prevent the dart from piercing deeply, and like his fellow before him, this Kobold succumbs as well, collapsing to the ground, where he starts to bleed out.

At this point, Nimbar casts a spell upon himself, perhaps some sort of ward, and moves forward 20 feet, having a bit of trouble making his way through the dense undergrowth. As he is moving, he draws his rapier, wanting to be ready for the coming fight.

HAWKE is up next. Stay tuned.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Whirling Frenzy: 3 attacks, all at +7 to hit.
Attack rolls: 23,12,16 (2 hits)
Damage, Attack #1: 9 pts. (Kobold goes down.)
Damage, Attack #2: 15 pts. (Kobold is KILLED instantly!)
Hawke currently has AC 19 from WF.
Hawke currently has +2 Reflex save bonus from WF.


Hawke takes a 1-square diagonal NW adjustment, and lays into the unprepared Kobolds with savage ferocity! Hawke swings at three, separate Kobolds who are within reach of his hammers, but one of them manages to duck just in time; however, his other two comrades are not so lucky. The first Kobold (#4) takes a blow to the head which lifts him off of his feet, and flips him onto the ground, face first. After he lands, he ceases to move.

The second recipient of Hawke's rage (Kobold #8) takes a blow directly to his small chest, which is caved in completely, causing the creature to spit up a large amount of green blood, as he collapses to the ground, having died instantly.

KOBOLDS are up next. Stay tuned.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Kobold #7 Attack (7) = Miss
Kobold #3 Attack (Flanking) (25) (Confirmation = 6, no crit) = Hit
Kobold #6 Attack (Flanking) (22) = Hit
Damage, K#3 = 5 pts.
Damage, K#6 = 6 pts.
Hawke takes a total of 11 points damage from two, well-timed spear attacks.


Much to the party's surprise, the Kobolds do not cry out in alarm, nor do they flee. Instead, they growl in a gutteral tone, and draw their well-made spears, turning their attention to what they perceive as the biggest threat; the giant in their midst whom has just downed three of their fellows.

Kobold #7, Speaking Draconic: "Die, interloper!"

Kobold #7, who had been the one lucky enough to dodge Hawke's hammer, is not lucky enough to make it past Hawke's defenses; the big warrior easily deflects the spear blow.

However, Hawke is not expecting the other two Kobolds to move to flank him; Kobolds #3 and #6 do just that, and Hawke is unable to fend them off. Both of them jab him with their spears, although both hits are superficial wounds. However, Hawke realizes that he won't be able to take many more such hits before he begins to get worn down.

Kobold #3, Speaking Draconic: "The bigger they are..."

Kobold #6, Speaking Draconic: "The harder they fall!"

GM:
Kobolds 1,2, and 4 continue to bleed out.
Kobold 8 is DEAD.
Kobold 5 is DEAD.
Kobold 4 = -5
Kobold 2 = -3
Kobold 1 = -2

Hawke: AC 19: Hit pts. = 31. Damage taken: 11 pts.


255BCF06-926C-43EF-AF9A-1D053B53946A.jpeg

SPHYNX: It's your turn! What do you do?
 

Advertisement

Top