• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Guess the D&D Movie Opening Weekend Box Office Performance, and Win a Prize!

Retreater

Legend
Checking Box Office Mojo with a $40M domestic estimate, I'd say that's surprisingly a dud.
It's just squeaking past John Wick 4's second weekend. That's not boding well.
I mean, it's decent numbers, but it's not the MCU-level revolution Hasbro was wanting to completely regrow the fan base.
From the box office perspective it's on par with 2018's "Rampage" - based off a forgotten 1980s property.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Actually I wonder if there is more in text than Star Wars? Novels and such. Just. Does that automatically make it a successful “franchise”?
Both Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms actually have Star Wars beat in published novel word count, I believe, but they had the "benefit" of being part of a near-pyramid scheme business model between TSR and Random House for a while, that I don't think Star Wars was quite doing.

ViArca

Villager
Checking Box Office Mojo with a $40M domestic estimate, I'd say that's surprisingly a dud.
I could tell when I checked the tickets. I thought it was quite funny when podcasters were saying "what are we going to do with all the new players from the movie." Really?

I know many college aged students who never went to see it, even though they had played D&D once or twice.

The movie was for the real fans, and as a fan, I loved it. Amazing childhood memories.
But not such a good movie it is going to appeal to a wide audience.

The CGI ROCKED, the druid escape - WOW, but the movie cost $150 to make. Antman 3 cost $200. John Wick only $100.
Perhaps there will be a second one.
But its like Dune 2021. It will last a lifetime. And should be profitable, but only just.

Retreater

Legend
The movie was for the real fans, and as a fan, I loved it. Amazing childhood memories.
But not such a good movie it is going to appeal to a wide audience.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it. I've seen it twice already.
It's just not the huge hit that's going to transform the hobby we've been led to expect.
It has basically doubled the opening weekend (adjusted for inflation) of the awful movie from 2000 on a MUCH larger budget. That's not great.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I mean, it's decent numbers, but it's not the MCU-level revolution Hasbro was wanting to completely regrow the fan base.
From the box office perspective it's on par with 2018's "Rampage" - based off a forgotten 1980s property.
Did I miss something? I didn't know the fan base needed 'regrowing,' or that Hasbro had made it a priority to do so. Where did this come from? (Serious question, I promise I'm not trolling.)

ViArca

Villager
The only part of your post I disagree with, @ViArca, is the part where you wrote "the movie was for the real fans" and won't appeal to a wide audience. That's got a weird, gatekeepy ring to it.
I don't know what you mean by "gatekeep". That is a little weird. Let me rephrase for you though.
It was a movie for fans of D&D. It was not a movie for non-D&D fans.
Clearly.
Since it only made 38 million this weekend, despite the super-bowl ads and a huge marketing campaign.
Doesn't mean non-D&D fans didn't enjoy it. My wife enjoyed it, but really there was no way she would be there if I didn't drag her.
It was a movie filled with easter eggs, D&D references, that you had to be a D&D fan to understand.
Nobody is keeping any gates, rest easy young man.

Zardnaar

Legend
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it. I've seen it twice already.
It's just not the huge hit that's going to transform the hobby we've been led to expect.
It has basically doubled the opening weekend (adjusted for inflation) of the awful movie from 2000 on a MUCH larger budget. That's not great.

Only if you bought into the hype idk people did.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads