D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

CommodoreKong

Explorer
We do know that if Paramount agreed with you they would pull the movie from availability in order to get the tax write off similar to other shows they have cancelled, or like Disney did with Willow.

Instead they are expanding availability as well as still selling the movie to other services. This is the exact opposite of the way failed projects get treated in 2023.

Honor Among Thieves being on Prime has nothing to do with the success or failure of the movie. Paramount and Amazon have a deal to bring their new movies to Prime a few months after Paramount Plus. I watched both Top Gun Maverick and Sonic 2 on Prime because of that deal.

The true question is if the movie has made movie for Paramount to dare to risk producing a sequel, or some spin-off.

An animated spin-off is still possible.

It is not a failure in the sense it is enoughly fun even for audience who knows nothing about the franchise. Maybe it was because other reasons, for example a wrong date, too near to John Wick 4 and Mario Bros. Or the movie was too long and then the audience would rather to watch it at home.

And I have started to untrust the numbers of the box-offices. When there is a lot of money, you can't hope everybody to say always only the truth.

And the next steps about the future strategy haven't been chosen yet because they want to see the possible success of the action-live adaptation of Dragonlance to know if this could be the right path.

Zardnaar

Legend
The true question is if the movie has made movie for Paramount to dare to risk producing a sequel, or some spin-off.

An animated spin-off is still possible.

It is not a failure in the sense it is enoughly fun even for audience who knows nothing about the franchise. Maybe it was because other reasons, for example a wrong date, too near to John Wick 4 and Mario Bros. Or the movie was too long and then the audience would rather to watch it at home.

And I have started to untrust the numbers of the box-offices. When there is a lot of money, you can't hope everybody to say always only the truth.

And the next steps about the future strategy haven't been chosen yet because they want to see the possible success of the action-live adaptation of Dragonlance to know if this could be the right path.

The box office numbers are independent of the studios reported to a third party.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Honor Among Thieves being on Prime has nothing to do with the success or failure of the movie. Paramount and Amazon have a deal to bring their new movies to Prime a few months after Paramount Plus. I watched both Top Gun Maverick and Sonic 2 on Prime because of that deal.
And Netflix too?

jgsugden

Legend
I watched it for the first time yesterday on Prime. It seemed like it had a good core and then a astudio came in and insisted on changes that made it a lesser movie. However, the biggest problem was ridiculously bad pacing. The movie rushed from reference to reference without giving us time to actually develop any affection for the characters.

I'd much rather they'd been as faithful as BG3 in adapting it. And I'd much rather they'd taken out the entire underdark sequence and instead spent that time on character development for the four main heroes.

And if they were going to take Drizz't out, they needed to write out that entire storyline. It was just unnecessary and weird.

It was fun to see some D&D concepts brought to life, but having been playing BG3 heavily for a few weeks already scratched that itch and took away some of the luster people seeing it last year probably experienced.

mamba

Legend
Sorry that I'm not more powerful that the Writers or Screen Actors Guilds. Don't know why you'd think I am.
My bad
we do not expect you to know, we expect you to acknowledge that you do not know ;)

There essentially are two things we do know

1) we have no idea how much these services make from a movie
2) we do know that they keep losing a lot of money

That does not give me much confidence that they actually are profitable on any movie. Certainly not to the point where I could point to any and say ‘this one did’, and until that changes, rankings are not all that helpful in determining this

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
we do not expect you to know, we expect you to acknowledge that you do not know ;)
I've said repeatedly that I do not know.
And then was served up with abuse for saying such.

Also, we know that Super Mario made about 75 million in VoD. It sold much more poorly than Honor Among Thieves

Remove ads