[GUIDE] Born to be Wild, a sorcerer guide.

vonkraush

First Post
Very interested in getting a divine soul sorcerer build online, but the sheer number of available spells and limited spells known is making it very difficult for me to figure out exactly what to choose. Does anyone have a set of 'optimal' recommendations at each level? That would be very helpful to consult.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Very interested in getting a divine soul sorcerer build online, but the sheer number of available spells and limited spells known is making it very difficult for me to figure out exactly what to choose. Does anyone have a set of 'optimal' recommendations at each level? That would be very helpful to consult.

Homebrew and increase the number of spells. That is the only way we play the sorcerer.

Otherwise, depends on your party make up. Are you the healer, support, blaster, etc.

mellored

Legend
So is a 1 level dip in hexblade just the default for sorcerers now (especially non-Dragon)? Seems like the armor/shields alone are enough to justify it.
No. If you have a good front line, it's better to stick with the extra spell slots and spell level.

If you don't have a good front line, it competes with cleric. Would you rather have a single level 5 slot, or 3 level 1 slots? Wis is a good start to have anyways, so it's not much of a factor.

vonkraush

First Post
I believe I'm going for mostly blaster? I was hoping I could also pair that with at least some support and beyond just haste though.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I believe I'm going for mostly blaster? I was hoping I could also pair that with at least some support and beyond just haste though.

If you are using the 15 spells known, I would say select 2 damage spells that target single targets and 2 damage spells that target groups. Try to select different saving throw types and different damage types for each. For groups, you can use Fireball (old standby) that targets Dex and fire damage. Then select Synaptic Static later on for Int saving throw with psychic damage.

Single Target you can select spiritual Weapon as no concentration and a free bonus action to attack. Saves you sorcery points instead of spending on Quicken. Firebolt or Sacred Flame or Ray of Frost and then Spiritual Weapon every round against a single target.

Also can select Silence spell and Subtle Metamagic. Use against casters. They cant cast but you can.
Distant Metamagic and Cure Wounds. No need for touch.

Last edited:

If you are planning your PC as a support caster/healer, I would recommend taking a 1 level dip into Life Cleric. It will give you several more known spells, especially as Life Clerics automatically know bless and cure wounds. Not to mention armor and a bonus to your healing spells.

That aside, some of my generic top choices per level are:

1st level: Bless, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Magic Missile, Sleep, Shield, Absorb Elements.
2nd level: Spiritual Weapon, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere, Misty Step, Suggestion.
3rd level: Spirit Guardians, Revivify, Fireball, Hypnotic Pattern, Haste, Counterspell.
4th level: Death Ward, Banishment, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph.
5th level: Mass Cure Wounds, Hold Monster, Wall of Force. Possibly True Seeing depending on the campaign.
6th level: Heal, Mass Suggestion, Chain Lightning. Possibly Planar Ally but that one is quite GM dependent.

Not familiar enough with higher level spells to comment. Although Wish is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend

Figure out what kind of Spells you want to focus on and how deeply you want to focus on them.

Example say I want a Divine Soul who focuses on Conjuration Spells and Healing, with a couple of useful spells to fill in gaps.

So for Conjuration I take Guardian Spirits, Spiritual Weapon, Guardian of Faith, Planar Ally, Temple of the Gods, Conjure Celestial, and Wish. And the Extend Spell Metamagic.

Then for healing I get Cure Wounds 4 free, get Lessèr Restoration, Revify, Mass Cure Wounds, then trade regular cure wounds for Aid (when you want a proper cure wounds spell you cast Mass Cure Wounds).

This allows you to specialize in 2 different areas while retaining some variety.

That leaves 5 spells to fill in any holes for some rounding. Dominate Monster, Major Illusion (use 6th level slot to make it permanent), Chromatic Orb (can be twinned, deals good single target damage, flexible in that you have many choices in damage types), Mage Armour for safety, and Polymorph for a spell that can buff/debuff as needed.

Before Wish becomes available you can cure the blind, the deaf, the diseased, the poisoned, the dead, heal wounds, throw a balls of Thunder Damage, Force Damage, Fire Damage, Cold Damage, Lightening Damage, Acid Damage, Poison Damage, create both temperary and permenant illusions, Dominate almost anything, turn yourself and others into animals of your choice, buff, debuff, cast damage dealing spells, Conjure Couatls, Summon Planar Allies (Elemental/Celestial/Fiend) that serve any cosmic entity and buy their service, summon countless fey or celestial spirits to fight for him, summon a Guardian of Faith, and a Spiritual Weapon, buff and debuff.

Arthil

First Post
Hello!

So I've got an interesting setup right now and am still wondering on where to take it. The Wild Sticky Bomb from the OP seemed interesting, but all of that is based around being a Variant Human(like too many builds).

Thanks to my DM rolling up an odd but interesting combo of stats, I decided to make a Goliath Sorcerer. My stat layout is below:

15 STR 12 DEX 12 CON 10 INT 15 WIS 15 CHA

The Wild Sticky Bomb build appealed to me cause with my high strength I can be in the fray once I got some armor, actually make use of shove actions with my strength score and a natural proficiency with athletics. But I'm sure I'm gonna need to go a different route, what with an uneven CHA etc. I'm also not sure how I am meant to end up with 24 AC by Level 11.

I know for my CHA, I'd need to go +2, +2 and then a +1 with a dip of one into something else to get it maxed out. Which is where my feats would end cause dipping 1 into Hexblade deprives you of one of your AIS's.

mellored

Legend
Hello!

So I've got an interesting setup right now and am still wondering on where to take it. The Wild Sticky Bomb from the OP seemed interesting, but all of that is based around being a Variant Human(like too many builds).

Thanks to my DM rolling up an odd but interesting combo of stats, I decided to make a Goliath Sorcerer. My stat layout is below:

15 STR 12 DEX 12 CON 10 INT 15 WIS 15 CHA
Since you have the Str, no need to go hexblade. I would dip fighter for heavy armor and defensive style, or cleric for the spell slots. And then take +1 Str / +1 Cha, +2 Str, +2 Str, and resilient Wis. Possibly inspiring leader.

You will end up with 26 AC. 18 heavy armor, +1 defensive style, +2 shield, and +5 shield spell.

+3 Cha will still be enough to cast the occasional fireball, which does half on a miss anyways. And spells like greater invisibility and haste don't require Cha.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases