D&D 5E [GUIDE] Power Overwhelming: A Sorcerer Guide

mellored

Legend
True, true - I always forget this is an option ... I think mostly because I don't like playing clerics. :p

I'm not sure if 1 level of cleric is more optimal (no delayed spell slot progression, proficiency/useful abilities, etc), or 2 levels of fighter for action surge.
I find sorcerer's can burn out of spells quick enough that action surge isn't needed. Certainly not at low levels.

Unless your DM likes having a few intense fights per day, then go nova.

Finnman

Explorer
Huuuuge props for this guide, I've been using it since the Beta :)

I HATE the errata for Scorching Ray. Multiple dice rolls mean more chances to MISS, and I almost never use this spell because my luck has been consistently terrible with this. I'm not sure how the math checks out at that level, but I've never felt this was OP, even with my fire dragon Sorc.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a power optimization guide specifically, but some of the RP utilities seem to be underrated by this guide. Considering the high CHA, lots of potential to play an effectively deceptive caster character, with the use of disguises and other such utilities. Being a dragon with shield, I feel comfortable taking the risk of impersonating someone in an enemy camp, for intel or sabotage, or even to avoid a combat entirely. If this game was only combat, then obviously "no dice", but I can think of endless utility for some of the RP heavy abilities with the potential to take entire groups of enemies out of combat without having to waste a fireball :)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If you can find a way to have Sim...um cast on you without using your 9th level slot, you can Wish in an army very fast. Best part is while spell slots can't be regained, sorcery points can, and nothing is said about spell slots being created.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
With only 15 spells available, I am wondering what 15 spells people would actually take. So look over the sorcerer list and tell us which spells you would pick.

Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Light, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
Level 1 (4 slots): Magic Missile, Shield
Level 2 (3 slots): Invisibility, Misty Step
Level 3 (3 slots): Counterspell, Fireball, Haste
Level 4 (3 slots): Banishment, Polymorph
Level 5 (3 slots): Hold Monster, Wall of Stone
Level 6 (2 slot): Disintegrate
Level 7 (2 slot): Plane Shift
Level 8 (1 slot): Dominate Monster
Level 9 (1 slot): Wish

Metamagic: Heightened Spell and Twinned Spell. Quickened Spell at 10th and Empowered Spell at 14th.

So this is a support spell load-out. Invisibility, Haste, and Polymorph allow for some buffing. Banishment, Polymorph, Hold Monster, Plane Shift and Dominate Monster removes enemies. Wall of Stone and Disintegrate* gives some battle field control. Misty Step, Haste, Polymorph, Disintegrate* and Plane Shift give some mobility, with Plane Shift usable as an emergency evac spell. Offensive power is from the Fire Bolt and Ray of Frost cantrips in addition to Magic Missile, Fireball and Disintegrate. Wish, of course, is a once per day "cast any spell you want of 8th level or lower".

So any other suggested spell lists? How about a blaster list?

*Disintegrate can create pits and remove walls or other obstacles. Those that cast Disintegrate only on creatures are only scratching the surface of its usefulness.

famousringo

First Post
With only 15 spells available, I am wondering what 15 spells people would actually take. So look over the sorcerer list and tell us which spells you would pick.

Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Light, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
Level 1 (4 slots): Magic Missile, Shield
Level 2 (3 slots): Invisibility, Misty Step
Level 3 (3 slots): Counterspell, Fireball, Haste
Level 4 (3 slots): Banishment, Polymorph
Level 5 (3 slots): Hold Monster, Wall of Stone
Level 6 (2 slot): Disintegrate
Level 7 (2 slot): Plane Shift
Level 8 (1 slot): Dominate Monster
Level 9 (1 slot): Wish

Metamagic: Heightened Spell and Twinned Spell. Quickened Spell at 10th and Empowered Spell at 14th.

So this is a support spell load-out. Invisibility, Haste, and Polymorph allow for some buffing. Banishment, Polymorph, Hold Monster, Plane Shift and Dominate Monster removes enemies. Wall of Stone and Disintegrate* gives some battle field control. Misty Step, Haste, Polymorph, Disintegrate* and Plane Shift give some mobility, with Plane Shift usable as an emergency evac spell. Offensive power is from the Fire Bolt and Ray of Frost cantrips in addition to Magic Missile, Fireball and Disintegrate. Wish, of course, is a once per day "cast any spell you want of 8th level or lower".

So any other suggested spell lists? How about a blaster list?

*Disintegrate can create pits and remove walls or other obstacles. Those that cast Disintegrate only on creatures are only scratching the surface of its usefulness.
XP for the reminder that Disintegrate does more than turn annoying peasants to dust.

For me, sorcerer is best at debuffing, and how you debuff is really a question of what metamagics you choose. I chose Twin because it's versatile enough to work well with buffs, debuffs, and attack cantrips, but it burns sorcery points so quickly that if I were to do it all over again and couldn't multiclass, I might do something like this:

Metamagic: Careful and Subtle, Quicken at 10, Heighten at 17.

Cantrips: Firebolt, Mage Hand, Sword Burst, Minor Illusion, Message, Blade Ward
Level 1: Earth Tremor, Silent Image
Level 2: Web, Suggestion
Level 3: Hypnotic Pattern, Counterspell, Major Image
Level 4: Confusion, Polymorph
Level 5: Dominate Person, Wall of Stone
Level 6: Mass Suggestion
Level 7: Reverse Gravity
Level 8: Earthquake
Level 9: Yeah, okay, Wish, fine.

The general idea is that anytime you are in a social situation, you cast Subtle illusions and enchantments to manipulate people without getting caught, and when you're in the thick of combat, you throw AoE control spells that screw over anybody who isn't your friend. And because Careful and Subtle are cheap, you have more longevity than a sorcerer who has to burn slots to Twin Haste and Heighten Polymorph some more.

Not sure Earth Tremor and Confusion are really worth it. They'd probably get chucked aside for some defense or blast magic.

Sword Burst in there because kamikaze crazy careful sorcerers can run in and get themselves killed without hurting their allies, LOL.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Thanks [MENTION=6792445]famousringo[/MENTION] It's interesting to see what other people would do with their spell selections. Honestly I wouldn't have gone with some of those spells, but that's the whole point of asking. :)

Anyway, I wondered about a blaster sorcerer, so I came up with this:

Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Light, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, True Strike
Level 1 (4 slots): Burning Hands, Magic Missile
Level 2 (3 slots): Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Level 3 (3 slots): Counterspell, Fireball, Slow
Level 4 (3 slots): Banishment, Wall of Fire
Level 5 (3 slots): Animate Objects, Hold Monster
Level 6 (2 slot): Sunbeam
Level 7 (2 slot): Fire Storm
Level 8 (1 slot): Incendiary Cloud
Level 9 (1 slot): Meteor Swarm

MetaMagic: Empowered Spell and Quickened Spell. Heightened Spell at 10th and Careful Spell at 14th.

This guy brings the heat! He is a problem solver! Just realize that he believes that no problem can't be solved by a large enough explosion. Indeed, as the size of the explosion goes up, the number of problems it can't solve goes down. ;)

For this I assume a Gold Draconic Sorcerer (Or Brass or Red if you want to pick an inferior dragon type ;) ).

Note that while he is essentially an Arcane Fire Hammer, he is not entirely one note. Counterspell, Slow, Banishment, Animate Objects and Hold Monster give him some flexibility, and Mirror Image gives him some defense.

A blasty list, with an eye toward wild magic.

1st character level: fire bolt, minor illusion, mage hand, blade ward; magic missile, shield
2nd level: thunderwave, swap magic missile for chromatic orb if player wants to spend the 50 g
3rd level: quickened and heightened metamagics; mirror image, swap magic missile/chromatic orb for scorching ray
4th level: shocking grasp (or chill touch, depending on campaign); web
5th level: slow, swap scorching ray for lightning bolt
6th level: counterspell
7th level: vitriolic sphere, swap web for storm sphere
8th level: greater invisibility, swap lightning bolt back to scorching ray
9th level: hold monster, optionally swap storm sphere for insect plague
10th level: twinned metamagic; sword burst; cone of cold
11th level: disintegrate, swap cone of cold for chain lightning
12th level: optionally swap storm sphere/insect plague for sunbeam or erupting earth
13th level: reverse gravity, optionally swap hold monster for plane shift
14th level: have fun
15th level: dominate monster or confusion or earthquake, optionally swap storm sphere/insect plague/sunbeam/erupting earth for earthquake
16th level: enjoy the ride
17th level: careful metamagic (or heightened if concentrating on single-target damage); wish, optionally swap storm sphere/insect plague/sunbeam/erupting earth/earthquake or vitriolic sphere for meteor swarm
18th-20th levels: swap as needed

That leaves you with these, optional spells in parentheses:
cantrips: firebolt, (chill touch, shocking grasp), minor illusion, sword burst, mage hand, blade ward
1st level (4 slots): shield, thunderwave
2nd level (3 slots): mirror image, scorching ray
3rd level (3 slots): counterspell, slow, (erupting earth)
4th level (3 slots): greater invisibility, (vitriolic sphere - strongly recommended), (storm sphere)
5th level (3 slots): (insect plague), (hold monster)
6th level (2 slots): chain lightning, disintegrate, (sunbeam)
7th level (2 slots): reverse gravity, (plane shift)
8th level (1 slot): (dominate monster), (earthquake)
9th level (1 slot): wish, (meteor swarm)
metamagics: quickened, empowered, twinned, (careful, heightened)

Edit: forgot to mention, you might swap something out for magic missile at 18th level, since spell bombardment makes it respectable again.

Last edited:

Remove ads