• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E hafrogman's Hoard of the Dragon Queen (full)

Forged Fury

First Post
We can (and probably should) fall back a smidge, but the timing of our initiative makes it a little challenging. I'll take a swing and try to kill the kobold in front of me and then retreat to Q9, drawing an OA from the other kobold unless someone otherwise kills it. Shouldn't be that big of a risk if I kill his ally since he won't have advantage then. The kobolds will have a turn, but I'm not sure how many of them will be able to move and attack, they'll probably have to dash just to get into position. Then Hunter goes, he can move into N8 and hopefully get sort of surrounded. Remember that the way that Hunter's ability works is that allies get advantage on melee attacks against any creature within 5' of Hunter, so we don't have to be adjacent to him, just to a creature to which he is adjacent. Then Jeni comes charging up the center aisle to make life unbearable for the bad guys. Carad and Venn continue sniping.

If we can bring the fight inside the church, it should reduce the number of incoming missile attacks against us given the walls and limited maneuvering (in theory).

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey [MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION]

I did a disadvantage roll in my last action in case cover was involved, but I'm not sure it's applicable, because if the grid was done with hexagons, I have a feeling that there would have been no problem with line of sight. The attack roll sucked, so I don't think it matters.

Also, I looked at the cover rules in the PHB, and it's not really clear what kind of penalty applies if Jeni shoots an arrow at an enemy with an ally smack in front of it. Is there enough of the target showing so it's half cover (+2 to their ac) or 3/4 (+5)? In any case, it seems that this is not a case where disadvantage rolls are used (pretty strange that they wouldn't use that mechanic in this case!). It's also all in the DM-side to apply these bonuses to bad guys, so I won't consider them when I post actions, ok?
Cheers,

SG

Forged Fury

First Post
It's generally +2 AC cover from another person. It's even listed as one of the examples under half cover. With that said, it also probably depends on size. I could reasonably see granting 3/4 cover to a small opponent if a medium size opponent was between it and the ranged attacker. But yeah, all on the DM side.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
We can (and probably should) fall back a smidge, but the timing of our initiative makes it a little challenging. I'll take a swing and try to kill the kobold in front of me and then retreat to Q9, drawing an OA from the other kobold unless someone otherwise kills it. Shouldn't be that big of a risk if I kill his ally since he won't have advantage then. The kobolds will have a turn, but I'm not sure how many of them will be able to move and attack, they'll probably have to dash just to get into position. Then Hunter goes, he can move into N8 and hopefully get sort of surrounded. Remember that the way that Hunter's ability works is that allies get advantage on melee attacks against any creature within 5' of Hunter, so we don't have to be adjacent to him, just to a creature to which he is adjacent. Then Jeni comes charging up the center aisle to make life unbearable for the bad guys. Carad and Venn continue sniping.

If we can bring the fight inside the church, it should reduce the number of incoming missile attacks against us given the walls and limited maneuvering (in theory).

Agreed, but keep in mind Jeni is now to the left of the room.
Cheers,

SG

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yeah, I've been using the half cover (+2) for the kobolds trying to hit Hunter and Morgan with sling stones. So it'll apply in reverse too, otherwise you would have hit.
No need for disadvantage though, just the +2 which, as you said, I apply.

Forged Fury

First Post
Agreed, but keep in mind Jeni is now to the left of the room.
Cheers,

SG

Yeah, she's going to have to move to the center. You (probably) can't even assume bear form where you are right now since you don't have the space for it (DM's call). Even if allowed, you'd be considered squeezing and any square you move through while squeezing costs double, IIRC.

But you would have space in the center aisle.

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] Morgan took 6 damage from a kobold sling stone between the time I last posted HPs and when Jeni healed her:

22 - 6 + 4 = 20/28

Forged Fury

First Post
Thinking ahead, we need to figure out how to lock down the Dragonclaw. He seems totally fine with running away if the fight starts looking poor for him. As far as I can tell, the only one with spells left is Venn. Is that correct? He does have Hold Person, which could help. Our options are somewhat complicated in that we can only knock him out with melee attacks, at least per RAW, so we have to cut a line through the enemies relatively quickly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads