Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah I've tried almond milk before. It's a lot like whole milk in consistency. I normally use low fat milk. It's a little thinner.

I use flour, milk, salt, and pepper, along with the sausage to make the gravy. Cook the sausage. Eyeball the flour. 1/2 cup or so to start. Pour in milk and stir. Add flour and milk as needed to reach desired volume. Salt and pepper to taste. I have vegetable oil but don't use it. You think it might help?
Maybe in a roux.

A roux, as mentioned, is flour that has been cooked in oil. The more you cook it, the darker it gets. This matters because a light roux will thicken sauces and gravies more than a dark one, but a darker one will bring more flavor & color than a light one. IOW, it’s a trade off.

So a roux will thicken less but flavor and darken your gravy more than a straight flour or slurry. And since flavor is where your recipe is causing you a problem...

So get a nonstick pan and use it to cook roughly equal amounts of flour and vegetable oil over low/med heat, stirring frequently. I usually aim for a color between caramel and milk chocolate. When it gets to the desired color, add that to your gravy instead of straight flour.

If that doesn’t mask the sweetness enough, there are other things to try. Perhaps a splash of an acid, like lemon or vinegar. Or even a fancier gravy, like a red eye gravy.

Red eye is made with black coffee, and that strong bitterness should go a long way to countering the sweetness.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I'm going to try the red eye gravy for sure. I didn't realize it was made with coffee. Probably doesn't take much either. Make a cup, pour some in, and drink the rest. lol

Scotley

Hero
Aeson, Fellow Southerner here. Red Eye gravy is the bomb.

For your sausage gravy conventional wisdom says an equal amount of fat and flour. If you aren't getting enough grease from your sausage I'd add a little bacon grease. That will add some extra salt and smoke, which might cut the sweetness of the milk. Maybe even go with a double smoked or black pepper bacon. But not a maple or applewood as that would only compound the sweetness issue. I like a little extra hit of spice like some cajun or soul seasoning in my sausage gravy or I use hot sausage. Just be careful as some of those blends have a lot of salt and you can get it too salty. I saw a recipe that adds a can of Rotel tomatoes to sausage gravy which seems like an interesting variation. Have not had a chance to try it yet.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I think it might be interesting though. It's not going to be smooth but the flavor mix could be fun. My mom would often slice tomato and eat it with her biscuits and gravy. She would also eat cantaloupe with it.

I just saw someone comment in a game that she likes vanilla cheese pancakes. I can see adding vanilla to the batter but never thought about cheese.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It’s that sweet + salty/savory thing. And vanilla is surprisingly easy to use as your gateway into that realm.

I was in HS when I first dipped french fries in my vanilla shake, and pronounced it good.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I have never tried that. I've heard of people doing it. I rarely get milkshakes, and the thought never crosses my mind when I do get them. Maybe one day I'll remember.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up sugar. I haven't had my A1c tested in awhile but it was slowly creeping up. I don't want to. Sometimes I feel it's not worth giving it up, just prolongs the inevitable.

Remove ads