• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro gains big time from D&D, Magic, Monopoly, and Baldur's Gate 3

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oooh… ah…
Those are not FR? Not originally.

I know. I’m being that guy. I’m not complaining just noting it.
Well, FR and distinctly WotC owned D&D IP.

If Larian makes more money selling a D&D game with WotC IP even with a license fee...may still be worth their time. Hasbro may decide that using the proceeds from selling parts of eOne might be well placed buying Larian (their market cap is similar to what Hasbro is getting from that), eliminating the friction of license fees.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It wouldnt be the same. The FR/D&D has an appeal.
I think FR has appeal only insofar as this game is called Baldur's Gate 3. The fact that so many people appear to be "discovering" D&D because of BG3 shows you that the real value was that it was a) made by Larian, and b) a sequel to BG1 and BG2.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Some would argue they could have done something similar using the OGL.
Thy could but it would never have been worth their while. Larian had enough reputation from Divinity, a D&D knockoff would not have served them well but a licenced game was enhancing to their reputation. If they want their own game they have the engine and their own IP but I do not see any upside for them in picking a fight with Wizards.
On the other hand it could be worth Hasbros time to licence the engine from Larian to run their own games.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I really don't think the huge casual audience that bought this game cares that much about the Forgotten Realms IP part of it. If Larian made a similar-feeling game just using their own IP, at this point they would clean up.

The githyanki and mind flayers are totally non-essential. I'm not talking about Larian trying to do a BG sequel without WotC. I'm talking about them making another game using their own setting and story but using the BG3 engine and the 5E SRD as starting points.

The "upside" for them in not sticking with WotC is not paying WotC ~$61m next time.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really don't think the huge casual audience that bought this game cares that much about the Forgotten Realms AP part of it. If Larian made a similar-feeling game just using their own IP, at this point they would clean up.

The githyanki and mind flayers are totally non-essential. I'm not talking about Larian trying to do a BG sequel without WotC. I'm talking about them making another game using their own setting and story but using the BG3 engine and the 5E SRD as starting points.

The "upside" for them in not sticking with WotC is not paying WotC ~$61m next time.
I really doubt it would have done as well. If they make $200 million more, say, using WotC IP, then it is worth paying the fee. And I very much doubt even a similar quality game would have done as well if it was just 3 Divinity 3 Fast or something.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter

They would have to redesign most of the character options because they aren't in the SRD. At that point, they might as well go back to Divinity.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They would have to redesign most of the character options because they aren't in the SRD. At that point, they might as well go back to Divinity.
And if they did that, the sales difference could well be more than the license fee. And they would have to make up tons more stuff: using the FR means they have a giant mine of lore and information to take advantage of when making the game.

darjr

I crit!
Or maybe another 5e maker that they could probably out right purchase for a fraction of the license fee.

I dint know if it’s a good idea or if they will or should do it.

I’m just spitballing the idea if it’s possible.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
And if they did that, the sales difference could well be more than the license fee. And they would have to make up tons more stuff: using the FR means they have a giant mine of lore and information to take advantage of when making the game.
The Divinity franchise is huge and deep. There are like 8 games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads