• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro gains big time from D&D, Magic, Monopoly, and Baldur's Gate 3

darjr

I crit!
And if they did that, the sales difference could well be more than the license fee. And they would have to make up tons more stuff: using the FR means they have a giant mine of lore and information to take advantage of when making the game.
After bg3?

I’m not so sure. But maybe.

I do think the creative partnership pushed them to greeter heights and do some things differently.

Scribe

Legend
They would have to redesign most of the character options because they aren't in the SRD. At that point, they might as well go back to Divinity.

This is my view.

Now granted, I need the nostalgia injected into my veins, as I am old and disaffected with our society, I yearn for a return to the days when I could simply clock off and game without a ca....wait what?

Anyway.

Baldurs Gate, and all the associated lore and call outs.
Yes, the specific D&D Monsters.
The classes, the subclasses.
The race options.
The companions and their back story.
The locations, and the referenced history within.

All of that is now (especially as Paizo abandons it) very much "D&D" history. Now sure Larian could have had a success with just another Divinity, but its something MORE when its FR/D&D.

At least, to me.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Or maybe another 5e maker that they could probably out right purchase for a fraction of the license fee.

I dint know if it’s a good idea or if they will or should do it.

I’m just spitballing the idea if it’s possible.
They would still have to build that stuff.

I think folks are over valuing the IP relative to Larian's next game. This game will get "everyone" who liked it to buy their next game, whether it is a Divinity sequel or a whole new IP.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
because BG3 did that in a month (not entirely true, early access, I know) while D&D beat that over 10 years.

If D&D sold 10M PHBs or 10M of one adventure module in a year, we would hear a lot more about that too
Except no. Because the video game industry is such that it gets mainstream hype in a way that board games and ttrpgs never will.

Scribe

Legend
I think folks are over valuing the IP relative to Larian's next game. This game will get "everyone" who liked it to buy their next game, whether it is a Divinity sequel or a whole new IP.

I will not. I'll get any BG3 DLC, but pure Larian IP? Nah.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Or even log in at all.

I couldn't begin to guess a number, but I'm sure a not insignificant amount of people created accounts just to access a UA packet, check out a free item, or to play in a campaign that isn't going anymore. If that wasn't true, they'd be spinning the number of users who log-in weekly or have made a purchase when they talk numbers because those metrics would convey a high level of user engagement which is the kind of stuff that excites investors.
Oh, they point at revenue numbers for Beyond being in the tens of millions quarterly. They are sharing real data with real investors, but EN World always thinks WotC is lying in legally binding documents.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They would still have to build that stuff.

Sure, but I would say you are underestimating the factor that the IP added to BG3, particularly drawing participation and user input in Early Access. I doubt Larian is underestimating the value of that preexisting IP.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I only knew about 2. And sure, they did well: but it seems that BH3 has grown by a larger amount than they have paid WotC.
I think this has as much to do with Larian's involvement and proven record as it does with it being BG3. I'm not saying it doesn't matter but Divinity:OS2 is widely lauded as literally the best CRPG ever for people that make such lists. The long, open development time built huge buzz and bear-sex did more to get people hyped near release than any particular bit of FR lore.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I really doubt it would have done as well. If they make $200 million more, say, using WotC IP, then it is worth paying the fee. And I very much doubt even a similar quality game would have done as well if it was just 3 Divinity 3 Fast or something.

I'm not talking about what they would have done without WotC on THIS game. As I said, they needed WotC to get where they now are.

I'm talking about what they now can do without WotC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads