D&D General Hasbro Q and A with Chris Cocks has some details about the movie production and DnDBeyond .

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Huh? Someone said Cinquest of Nerath is risk like.

View attachment 249147
Conquest of Nerath is Risk-like in the same way that Axis and Allies is Risk-like. They have the same theme of warfare, but Conquest of Nerath and Axis and Allies are both trying to be more complex simulations (without crossing the line into actual wargame) while even the most complex Risk variants are trying to be simple strategy games at their core.

Consider DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, a year after integrating eOne, we had greenlit a movie with Paramount, our co-production partner, at a blockbuster budget with amazing talent in front of and behind the camera. We are on track to launch that film in March 2023 alongside a wave of games, consumer products, toys, licensing partnerships and digital experiences.
Hooooo boy that film had better not be mediocre, suck, or just get released into a bad situation re: other major releases.

…like our recent acquisition of D&D Beyond. That acquisition gives us a strong set of new digital direct capabilities, a base of nearly 10 million highly engaged users for one of our priority brands, a favorable 8 times trailing twelve-month EBITDA multiple and a business that has been growing at a 50% Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) over the last 3 years.
This is helpful. I'd picked up that they had 10m users a while back, but I could never find the quote, and whenever I suggested it, people were skeptical as hell.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
They did one for LOTR. It's an interesting take on it because you have a built in time limits the one ring leaving the game board.
They did two versions too - one that came out when the Two Towers hit the theaters that only had the map up to what they showed in the movie, and then a second "Trilogy Edition" that had the full map.

I've only got the Two Towers edition and it's great if you like Risk - I can only imagine that the Trilogy Edition is also great but even more. :)

I'd love to see a D&D Risk - I might actually be able to get my father to play a D&D game if they did (right now I could possibly get him to play D&D Monopoly, but that would involve me playing Monopoly and that's not going to happen...)

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I hadn't seen "March" for the movie before.
Another thread here on ENworld announced the release date as March 3, 2023, along with the full title reveal: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.

If Hasbro mergers with Embracer Group, owners of Asmodee, then we would see lots of board games with D&D licence, and other Hasbro's franchise. Why not any licencing to test the reaction of the market?

The TV seres "American Gothic", "From" and "Wayward Pines" may be good examples of eOne producing horror action-live titles set in a (XXI century tech small town) dark domain but not knownledge about the lore is necessary even it may be part of the mistery in the plot, and only Ravenloft fandom would realise.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hooooo boy that film had better not be mediocre, suck, or just get released into a bad situation re: other major releases.
The release date is a risk these days, but I think they have a pretty low bar: slock, fun and inoffensive toy commercial should suffice, Fast & Furious or Transformers level quality is probably fine.

Remove ads