• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you become disillusioned with 3rd edition?

Still playing 3rd edition?

• I still play 3.0/3.5 pretty much as written.

Votes: 301 62.1%
  • I still play 3.0/3.5 but with a number of changes

Votes: 122 25.2%
  • What I play is still technically 3rd edition, but with a ton of changes

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • I play a d20 system, based on 3rd edition (e.g., d20 modern)

Votes: 68 14.0%
  • I play an OGL game (e.g., C&C)

Votes: 63 13.0%
  • My game is a hybrid of a bunch of different games, including 3rd edition

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • I play something completely different, like GURPS or Rolemaster.

Votes: 65 13.4%

Not disillusioned per se with 3.x, just came to understand in 2001 that it's not my cup o' tea. I'll play it with friends and have a good time, but I DM 1st ed. and C&C.
The poll questions assume that no one is playing the out-of-print editions, unless hybridizing with 3.x.

Nomad4life

First Post
After discovering True20, I just can’t seem to go back to 3.X.

I’m not about to get rid of my 3.5 books, however. It’s not that I think 3.x is a “bad” system, it’s just that I’ve found something I believe is a “better” system, if that makes sense.

Mystery Man

First Post
Nomad4life said:
After discovering True20, I just can’t seem to go back to 3.X.

I’m not about to get rid of my 3.5 books, however. It’s not that I think 3.x is a “bad” system, it’s just that I’ve found something I believe is a “better” system, if that makes sense.

To me, playing a systme you like is a hell of a lot better than houseruling another one to death to achieve a different result. So yes, it make a lot of sense.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Rashak Mani said:
I voted play as written ... but we play besides D&D also Star Wars d20... and we enjoy it a lot ! (Not because we are dissillusioned)

If your dissilusioned I suggest jolting your campaign... or getting friends to play

How curious. Are you suggesting that because I'm not playing 3rd edition that there must be something wrong with me?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Gutboy Barrelhouse said:
The poll questions assume that no one is playing the out-of-print editions, unless hybridizing with 3.x.

Yea, I knew I would forget an option or two. I left out earlier editions.

Gothmog

First Post
Olive said:
I'm currently completely obsessed with Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay. The importance of magic items became annoying for me in DnD, so I'd probably play something like the Black company rules if I used d20 again.

I'm with Olive on this one- WHFRP2 has gotten almost all my attention, and the remaining time is spent playing classic Deadlands or Kult. D&D got too magic item happy for me, and the amount of prep time was getting ridiculous, even with computer programs for aid. I have an ongoing 3.5 campaign with a decent number of houserules and tweaks, but I haven't run it in over a year now. I still play D&D/D20, but have no desire to run it right now.

Mystery Man

First Post
der_kluge said:
How curious. Are you suggesting that because I'm not playing 3rd edition that there must be something wrong with me?

Yes!! That's exactly it. You got it! Man you read right into that post, between the lines and discovered the hidden message. Clever you!! :]

And if you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic! ~ Homer Simpson

Wombat

First Post
I've got 2 games running now (finally!) -- one is Ars Magica, with modified rules, and the other is Tales of New Mavarga which has elements of AE/AU, Skull & Bones, Swashbuckling Adventures, and house rules ... it is a bit of a "mutt" game from that perspective, but it works fantastically with my gaming group!

In general, my feeling with rpgs is that the rules are there to help map the world; the world should not be forced to conform to a set of game rules. If by tweaking some rules (a spell here, a modifier there, a whole peck of AoOs...) we, collectively, get a game that feels more appropriate, then we have done the right thing. My job as GM is to set the tone; often it is as a group that we decide which rules are in, out, modified, pretzelled, and otherwise mangled. ;)

X

xnosipjpqmhd

Roadkill101 said:
I had to go with the "something else entirely" option. I don't actually run anything produced by some one else.

I'm in this category, too, considering we were running a d20 campaign before d20 came out. ;-) Basically using Talislanta guts (which is precursor d20 mechanic and skill bonus system) mixed with FUDGE success levels (precursor DCs) but with many shades of partial success thrown in. The health system is hp-based but with a custom wounds/fatigue mix (though I'm thinking of changing back to Tal's grittier 2 hp/level system). The magic system is based on 1e/2e D&D spells but with skill rolls vs DC and some custom in-game arcane lore that the players have to learn (to keep magic 'special'). More or less... ;-)

ironregime

Remove ads