• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Have you played 5E yet?

(Not the playtest)

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I got to play it on Sunday.

I wasn't a big fan of 3.x, and I utterly detest 4e. 5e is like a breath of fresh air. I actually like D&D again.

This Sunday we'll be making characters with the PHB, and I cant wait.

I am also joining a game tomorrow night that will be running every Tuesday or so. One weekly game, One bi-weekly game. I haven't played this much in a long time. It feels good!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
We finally got to give it a go last night, using the starter set. The players chose the Wizard, the Rogue and the Cleric, with the Noble Fighter an NPC run by me. We are all hold hands (playing for 25-30 years) and fans of D&D in general. We have been playing Pathfinder for the last couple years; our group skipped 4E.

The long and short of it: it was fun and very much felt like D&D (specifically, it game me a 2E/BECMI mash up vibe). there were a few tense moments when characters dropped to 0 HP but no one died. The guy playing the cleric was grumpy at first that he had run out of spells so quickly but then realized he could cast cantrips all day and got less grumpy. My only real problem with the playtest characters was that the halfling rogue was about as blind as a bat -- it is bad when your sneaky scout character has a bad Perception.

From the DM side of the screen i can say it was fast and felt like running onld school D&D. I was not super impressed with the structure of the adventure, but that's neither here nor there. i will say that having to flip to the back of the book for stats was a pain, especially in the bugbear room since there were 3 different creatures with different stats. I vote for compressed stat blocks (Goblin: AC 15, Att +4/1d6+2; HD 1; hp 7) in future adventures.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
i will say that having to flip to the back of the book for stats was a pain, especially in the bugbear room since there were 3 different creatures with different stats. I vote for compressed stat blocks (Goblin: AC 15, Att +4/1d6+2; HD 1; hp 7) in future adventures.

Hmmh, back when 4e was new and support (computer and anything) was lacking, we made monster cards using some open source tool for designing Magic cards. There were some 4e templates for this tool floating around. The nice thing was that you could condense the necessary information (for low-level monsters at least) onto one card, print it out and have it handy at the table.

Perhaps this technique could work for 5e as well?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads