Help with Sorcerer build

donremus

First Post
Following on from this thread http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=186249

I have never played a sorcerer before and am wondering about my available options including PRCs at higher level.

My stats are STR 12 DEX 17 CON 12 INT 13 WIS 15 CHA 18 Human Neutral Align

I am the only arcane spellcaster in the party at present and am worried that if I digress from straight sorcerer the party will suffer from lack of arcane artillery etc. Does anyone have any specific character builds around sorcerer they really enjoyed playing? I was a 1st ed player for years and to be honest I am not at all familiar with 3.5ed mechanics. The game has certainly become far more rules intensive from what I can tell but of course role playing is still king right?

From reading a few threads in this forum many of you will be pleased to know that Wraith Strike and Arcane Strike are not available spells in the Age of Worms campaign we are about to start in earnest. Therefore builds around those spells are out of the question.

Please help

*edited to add race and alignment*

Last edited:

javcs

First Post
What books are available? What level are you?

What sort of character are you looking for?

Generally speaking, you want a mix of utility, offensive, and defensive spells known, you can use arcane scrolls, wand, and similar items to shore up gaps.

PRCs, at high levels, you can get all sorts of crazy stuff going on.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Here's a fun one:

Phantasmo, Gnome Illusion-Master
1/ Sorcerer 1 -- Spell Focus (Illusion) -- Color Spray, Grease
2/ Sorcerer 2
3/ Sorcerer 3 -- Greater Spell Focus (Illusion) -- Silent Image
4/ Sorcerer 4 -- Mirror Image
5/ Sorcerer 5 -- Shield, Glitterdust
6/ Sorcerer 6 -- Improved Initiative -- Displacement, (Color Spray -> Feather Fall)

And another fun one:

Howl, Human Hellbinder (uses PHB-2 feats)
1/ Sorcerer 1 -- Infernal Sorcerer Heritage, Infernal Sorcerer Howl -- Summon Monster 1, Ray of Enfeeblement
2/ Sorcerer 2
3/ Sorcerer 3 -- (another Infernal Sorcerer feat) -- Charm Person
4/ Sorcerer 4 -- Summon Monster 2
5/ Sorcerer 5 -- Grease, Alter Self
6/ Sorcerer 6 -- (last Infernal Sorcerer feat) -- Summon Monster 3, (SM 1 -> Shield)

Cheers, -- N

Wraith-Hunter

First Post
For PrC's the Incantrix and Abjurant Champion are Good. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010803 for the incantirx. Abjurant Champion is in Complete Mage. You do not want to stay in Sorcerer Class past 6th. (if you stay till 6th you get a spell, +1 BAB and all saves over going to a PrC at 5th). But Any PrC will give you some class abilities. Sorc gets none. If you like Incantrix and have access to the spell compendium or other sources for spells drop the evocation school.

If you have access to PHBII I like the option of ditiching the familiar for the ability to apply metamagic at normal casting times 3/day+int bonus.

Complete mage has stalwart sorcerer, give up 1 spell known of your highest level (it is only of your highest level and you eventually get the lower one once you get a higher level spell slot) and get 2x your sorcerer level in extra hitpoints each level. so +2 @ 1st +4 @ 2nd +6@ 3rd etc.

donremus

First Post
Thanks but these are the PRCs allowed in this campaign

· Arcane Archer.
· Archmage.
· Berserk.
· Blackguard.
· Darkrunner.
· Diamond Dragon.
· Dragon Descendent.
· Dragon Disciple.
· Dragon Slayer.
· Duellist.
· Dwarven Defender.
· Eldritch Knight.
· Fey Enchantress.
· Giant Slayer.
· Gnomish Tinker.
· Green Knight.
· Hierophant.
· High Handcrafter.
· Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries.
· Keeper of the Cerulean Sign.
· Knight of the Iron Glacier.
· Knight of the Raven.
· Knight of the Realm.
· Knight Templar.
· Loremaster.
· Malefic Enchanter.
· Master of Radiance.
· Metamind.
· Pathwarden.
· Primeval.
· Reliquarian.
· Sand Shaper.
· Sea Witch.
· Shadowdancer.
· Stormcaster.
· Voice of the Land.
· War Mind.
· Wavekeeper.

Looks like Eldritch Knight is possibly my best option here?

Last edited:

Wraith-Hunter

First Post
Eldritch knight will cost you 2 caster levels, 1 level of fighter to qualify and 1st level of Ek has no spell casting. I'm not familiar with some of those, nor what books they are from. EK is the staple of gish (fighter/wizard) builds and is not bad at all if that is the way you want to go. You would be 3 spell levels below a wizard of equal level though.

You should ask your DM if you can and any complete mage/arcana books in there. If it is a matter of buying a book buy the DM a copy.

The biggest thing with playing a straight caster Sorc is you want a PrC that gives +1 spell casting every level, and hoepfully does not require lots of useless feats or cross class skills. If you have no PrC's that grant full casting or require really high prerec's to get in then staying with Sorc is not -bad-. It is just better if you can find a PrC that fits. Archmage is a good PrC but can't remember off hand what lvl you can pick it up on. Usually later levels. Dragon Disciple is useless unless you want to be a 1/2 dragon. It gives you spells but no caster level increase.

Looks like you get the core + some other reasource but I'm not sure which. If it is a fighter heavy book like it looks then you really don't have many choices. If that is the case the warrior types are getting more options than a caster type is. Find out what obsticles are in the way for allowing other books in there.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
One level of Dragon Slayer is excellent. Nets you all weapons and armor, progresses spellcasting, and gives some nice benefits too. Follow that with Eldritch Knight if you want.

Keeper of the Cerulean Sign is pretty good. You don't lose any spellcasting progression.

Why bother posting all those PrCs, though? Most of them are nothing to do with your PC.

-- N

szilard

First Post
Ummm... if Sand Shaper is allowed, that seems like one of the most powerful possible options for a Sorcerer prestige class. The number of spells known that you appear to get with it is mind-boggling.

-Stuart

Remove ads