Here's What's In That $500 Beadle & Grimm Platinum Edition of Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

If you've been wondering what you'll get for your $500, wonder no more! Footage and images straight from Gen Con reveal the expensive box's contents!

If you've been wondering what you'll get for your $500, wonder no more! Footage and images straight from Gen Con reveal the expensive box's contents!

Click the image to watch a video!
bgpe.jpg

What you get in the box:

• Waterdeep: Dragon Heist broken down into 8 smaller books
  • A selection of important maps and all the major artwork
  • A custom DM Screen -- "Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is a city-based adventure, and that means tons of NPCs for a DM to keep track of. The exclusive Platinum Edition DM screen will be packed with quick reference guides to help you keep track of who’s who, who’s aligned with whom, and where they’re likely to be found. On the player side, we feature some of our favorite artwork from the module."
  • 22 miniatures (2 large, 20 regular sized) including the beholder shown below.
  • A range of battle maps.
  • A stack of encounter cards including stats for creatures and more.
  • Custom handouts including letters, journals, newspapers, and more.
  • Two large canvas maps, one of Waterdeep and the other secret for some reason.
  • A dragon coin.
  • Other stuff they can't tell us about.

DM Screen
DM+Screen+Mockup+(1).jpg

Beholder Miniature
beh_mini.jpg

Faction Objects
faction_objects.jpg

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep
image4-22.png

Encounter Cards
image11-36_600h.png

Canvas Maps
image14-42.png

Dragon Coins
dc.jpg

Maybe if they ever create 'gold', 'silver' or 'copper' versions...
I know they are starting, intentionally, at the high end, but I think they are going to sink themselves by their high-end not being high enough, and too expensive for general gamers.

Mercurius

Legend
Nice idea but this is just a head-scratcher and I can't help but think it is going to be a colossal failure, sales-wise. I could see a deluxe set for $150, maybe $200, but half a thousand dollars?!

paintphob

First Post
Again looks like there is no scale on the map of Waterdeep. Has anyone ever figured this out? I dont think Ive ever seen a scale on any map of Waterdeep except perhaps the 3.5 City of Splendors hardcover.

There are three products that have a map with scale of Waterdeep, that I am aware of. In order of increasing focus, they are:
City of Splendor: Waterdeep (3.5 hardback) -1 in. = 750 ft.
The Forgotten Realms Atlas - 1 in. = 700 ft.
City System - 1 in. = 100 ft.

IMHO, the City System is most likely the correct one. There is consistency between the large scale city map and the smaller scale (1 square = 5 ft) building maps.
The scale in CoS:W should be halved (1 in. = ~375 ft.), this would get it closer to the scale of the two earlier products. It would also cut down on odd things like the High Road being almost 200 ft. across.

There are three products that have a map with scale of Waterdeep, that I am aware of. In order of increasing focus, they are:
City of Splendor: Waterdeep (3.5 hardback) -1 in. = 750 ft.
The Forgotten Realms Atlas - 1 in. = 700 ft.
City System - 1 in. = 100 ft.

IMHO, the City System is most likely the correct one. There is consistency between the large scale city map and the smaller scale (1 square = 5 ft) building maps.
The scale in CoS:W should be halved (1 in. = ~375 ft.), this would get it closer to the scale of the two earlier products. It would also cut down on odd things like the High Road being almost 200 ft. across.
They've just (through the help of divination magic presumably) pre-planned for the day the High Road will need to be a 20-lane freeway.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
If they were painted then I might be more interested. Also splitting the book up makes me also have to go buy the book, because I have to ;)

R_J_K75

Legend
Waterdeep Map Scale

I suppose I shouldve have said in my OP that I have never seen an accurate scale. I just always found it frustrating that the 2E City of Splendors map was such a strange T-shape layout, Volos Guide and Waterdeep and the north are too small, and I could wall paper my whole house with the City Systems map. I wish the 2E City of Splendors map had a scale on it, thats the best one IMO. Because the location tags are different on every map, depending on which book your using to run your campaign, or multiple books/editions they are essentially not interchangable.

I did some calculations and came up with the following for the 2E CoS map.

City Systems Boxed Set
Southgate measures 3.000
Scale: 1”=100’

City of Splendors Boxed Set
Southgate measures 1.000
Scale: 1”=300’

11250’ Long x 5250’ Across. Approximately 2 miles long x 1 mile across.

20 Speed 2 mph, 30 speed 3 mph, cart or wagon 2 mph.

These never sat right with me because it seemed too small. A character could walk the entirety of the city in an hour? I suppose with crowded streets and wagons, etc it may take longer. I fall back on the 2E turn system to determine how long it takes to get from point A to point B.

Huge oversight by TSR, its a shame. I would love to see each ward get its own poster size map with location labels on them instead of just numbers, including street names, alleyways and landmarks included too. I bet alot of people would pay $25-$40 for a map pack like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads