How do we fix the Sorcerer?

Einlanzer0

Explorer
I made adjustments to the concentration mechanic by adding a skill called Focusing and Sorcerers get expertise in that skill. Effectively, it means that sorcerers have an easier time "Multicasting" than other caster classes.

I really wish they had done something different with the sorcerer this edition. They trimmed down its spell list, but that alone isn't really enough to set them apart. I would have liked to see a more primal caster class built around spell like abilities rather than even a subset of wizard spells.

Vael

Legend
If a player wanted their Sorcerer to use the DMG spell point system and simply have Sorcery Points instead of spell slots, I'd allow it, I think it's flavourful and fine. But I'd still leave the Sorcerer as-is, using spell slots in the PHB for ease of use for newer players.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Revisiting this thread, with some updated info from a recent playtest. Here's my tested and CleverNickName-ApprovedTM Fix for the Sorcerer Class, which is now installed in my house rules. My goal was to make a sorcerer that could stand alone as a "spell-sword" type of character without having to resort to multiclassing. So to that end, I made some changes.

In a nutshell:
  • Proficient with Light armor, and either Shields or Medium armor
  • Proficient with all Simple weapons and two Martial weapons of your choice
  • Start with two more 1st level spells known
  • Weapons can be spellcasting foci
The two extra spells might not seem like much, but they scale pretty well as you gain levels (since you can swap them out for other spells). But it's pretty easy for you to "adjust the dial," so to speak, if you feel the sorcerer should have more or less magic. If you feel this is too much, dial it back to 2...if you want sorcerers to have an even larger catalogue of spells, change it to 5 or 6. I won't mind either way.

Anyway. Here's the blurb from my House Rules.

Sorcerer
As per the Player's Handbook, except as noted here.

Armor: Light Armor, and your choice of either Shields or Medium armor
Weapons: all Simple weapons, and two Martial weapons of your choice

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
You know four 1st-level spells of your choice from the Sorcerer spell list (instead of only two).

The Spells Known column of the Sorcerer table is ignored. Instead, each time you gain a level of the Sorcerer class you learn one new spell of your choice from the Sorcerer spell list; this new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots. Also when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one Sorcerer spell that you know and replace it with another spell from the Sorcerer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Focus
You can use an arcane focus or any weapon that you are proficient with as a spellcasting focus for your Sorcerer spells.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The Spells Known column of the Sorcerer table is ignored. Instead, each time you gain a level of the Sorcerer class you learn one new spell of your choice from the Sorcerer spell list; this new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots. Also when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one Sorcerer spell that you know and replace it with another spell from the Sorcerer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
At first I wondered how this was an improvement, but you've eliminated the "half as many spells after 10th level and none after 17th level" problem. Between that (+6 extra spells spread across levels 11-20) and the front-loaded 2 extra spells, the Sorcerer does gain quite a bit more breathing room.

Remove ads