How do we fix the Sorcerer?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Somehow, revive the NEXT playtest Sorcerer.

Sadly, that's wishful thinking at this rate.
Honestly SP recovery on a short rests and additional Spell Points based on the CHA modifier.
I'm at a point where I just straight up give sorcerer more spell slots per day ala 3e. No more ''font of magic'' thingy.

I'm still on the fence about metamagic, I really dont like it as a sorcerer features, but I think if I'm to keep it, I'll have it use HP instead of a different pool (reduce both current and max hp 'til next long rest).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I think an easy way to "fix" the sorcerer is to give it Light armor, Medium armor, Shields, and Martial Weapon proficiencies at 1st level. If you're feeling fancy, maybe add a blurb in there about how the sorcerer can use any bladed weapon as an arcane focus for their spells.

Let it be the "spellsword" class that you have been looking for.

Last edited:

Steven K

Villager
My fix was to gut the first three levels of the class, and rebuild it from the ground up.
Lvl 1, You choose a sorcerous origin. That choice determines your spells known at lvl 1, and every level thereafter, unless you multiclass out. It also grants you additional features at certain levels as normal.
You also get 5+Con mod+(2 per caster level) Sorcery Points and two more at level 20. You can use those points to do metamagic. All of it, no restrictions. Choose what you like and spend points accordingly.
You do not get flexible casting. Not at level one, not ever.

And then, you just build a thematic subclass by working through each level and selecting the appropriate spells and choosing appropriate features. I started with what I called the Force of Nature origin, divided into Storm, Blaze, Frost, Earth, and Wild (plants, not wild magic). It's fairly obvious what they do. Next I made a Radiant origin. If it's a spell that manipulates light, they learn it, and they also get a few cool light-based tricks along the way. After that, Shadow. Not a direct counterpart to the Radiant, literally drawing on the power of the Shadowfell. It has acid, psychic, and necrotic damage as its forte, and it ends up being able to do shadow crossings fairly regularly at higher levels. Next, Paragon. Something completely different, similar in concept to a Champion Fighter that slowly gains Bard-like abilities. After that, one I called Link, because I had to call it something. This one tells the story of a support character who gradually becomes a deadly psionic attacker as more facets of its sorcerous origin unfold. After that, I added the Magical Prodigy, which is a sorcerer who went to Wizard school. They have a spell book, they can choose their own spells and learn more like a Wizard, but they also have metamagic and scoff at the normal rules they were taught were absolute. I figured that was enough, but the whole point is that every subclass plays completely differently, and works with a different theme. You could make any subclass you wanted, by design.

And that's it. The only other change I made to the base class was one additional 6th level spell known for each subclass, learned at lvl 12. No extra spell slots, I just found that each of my subclasses had two equally good possibilities for 6th level and I didn't see why I should have to choose, so I just added the ability to choose both.

Bupp

Adventurer
I use the spell point option from the DMG, and pool the spell points with sorcery points.

The big difference that the couple sorcerer players I've had have liked is the ability to overchannel, or cast a spell known at a level higher than they could, if they have the spell points.

Overchannel
Another way to change the feel of sorcerers is the ability to Overchannel. While you are still limited on the number of spells you know, you can power them beyond what is typical from a caster of your level. As long as you have enough sorcery points, you can power your known spells to be cast at a higher level than what you would have "spell slots" for in the system in the PHB.

Example: A 5th level sorcerer has 32 total sorcery points. If he wanted to "go nova" with fireballs, he could cast a 9th level fireball, an 8th level fireball, and a 5th level fireball. That would leave just 1 sorcery point to power metamagic or power bloodline abilities.

I’m just popping in to say them at the fact that there is not a fiend blooded sorcerer heritage should be criminal.

yeah there are third party. But clockwork? CLOCKWORK?

Honestly the answer has been seen and is simple. There are two problems with the sorcerer:
  • The sorcerer has an obnoxiously low number of spells known
  • The theming for what the power source is isn't that strong
The answer is simple. The subclasses need to be a lot stronger. They need to give 1-2 free spells per spell level the way the Aberrant Mind/Psion does and they need to give significant other benefits. Dragon and Storm should be full not half-weight gish builds and made much tougher, with a free spell for each spell level. The rest should give two free spells - and the subclass abilities need pumping up.

Remove ads