D&D 5E How do you determine your initial Attributes?

How do you determine your initial Attributes?

• Rolled

Votes: 47 39.8%
  • Standard Array

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • Point Buy

Votes: 45 38.1%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But your reasoning (realism because you cant choose your stats at birth) didn't match the method benefits of which you were trying to describe (rolling and arranging.) Rolling being exiting part of course still makes sense though.
I gave my personal reasons for rolling. I provided a general example of one reason(point) for rolling and arranging. I don't know why you're fighting me so hard on this. I'm not saying you should roll. Nor am I saying rolling is better. You made the statement that you didn't see a point to rolling and arranging and I provided one that is very easy to see, even if you don't like the method. That's all.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I am actually surprised anyone uses array, except when accidentally building it with point buy. Rolling of course is a terrible idea, but it is apparent that a lot people love it. But I assumed that those who don't use rolling, use pretty much exclusively point buy.

In any case, point buy for me. Though in my campaign we use a modified version.
I prefer rolling because then each stat is an independent variable. If I had to go with a non-rolled method, it’s array all the way. I detest dumping stars to gain points specifically to boost another.
Point buy systems, as far as I’m concerned, are only suitable if I’m buying up everything like powers, skills, abilities in a superhero game like Mutants and Masterminds or Champions. Buying just 6 stats is a set that is far too small.

Nearly 40% for random, letting one out of four players role up a garbage guy and role play it for the next 12 months? Really? How many that say they do actually do?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nearly 40% for random, letting one out of four players role up a garbage guy and role play it for the next 12 months? Really? How many that say they do actually do?
Define "garbage" in such a way that it applies objectively to everyone, because you're applying your comment to all that voted for rolling.

If that's a concern, you could always roll one set of stats for the entire party and they get to arrange as they wish. Then, good or ill, everyone is on an even field from an ability score standpoint. Of course depending on the roll, it could favor some classes over another, but player against player balance pretty much goes out the window once classes are chosen anyway.

Anecdotally, it's never been a problem in any of the groups I've played with in 30 years of gaming, and I've been the guy with the low stats on several occasions. It's even less of a problem in the WotC era where you get to raise your stats through leveling anyway. Back in 2E, even a wish spell was limited in its ability to raise stats permanently.

I played with an ability roller a bit and rolled maybe ten or so sets. The result varied form point buy equivalent of 7 (with 11 as the highest score) to point buy equivalent of 45. I really wouldn't want these in the same party...

I played with an ability roller a bit and rolled maybe ten or so sets. The result varied form point buy equivalent of 7 (with 11 as the highest score) to point buy equivalent of 45. I really wouldn't want these in the same party...
I've been the guy with the low stats in a party with better. It's fun (for me and the groups I played with anyway). Last time it happened, I played a dwarven cleric who got blackout drunk after work one day and woke up in a caravan the rest of the party got hired to guard, no idea of how he got there and with a holy symbol in his hand he neither asked for nor wanted. Party got hurt, my character found out he could heal, and the party dragged him along with them against his will, grumbling all the way. It was great.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You got really (un)lucky to get a high of 11. I did 10 sets and with 4 sets with a 15 high, 5 with a 17 high, and one with an 18.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We have done generous rolling, PHB point buy, and 32-pt point buy.

While my whole group knows that the difference doesn’t really matter, we all are more willing to make character with oddball mechanics, because the mechanics change how the game plays.

Joe Pilkus

Explorer
It's rolled for me...I'm not sure what people mean by "none of them" ~do they just make up numbers? You roll 4d6 twelve times, dropping the lowest rolled number for each of the 12 rolls; select the best six scores

Remove ads