D&D 5E How do you handle material components on feat spells or racial spells?

ECMO3

Hero
How do you do material components on feat spells, especially if you are a non-caster or go out of your school?

Say my Druid picks up Hex through magic initiate. Can he use his sprig of mistletoe or does he need to grab a component pouch, a Newt eye or an arcane focus just for that one spell?

How about racial spells?

Stormonu

Legend
For me and mine:

Racial spells, no components.

Magic Initiate, if you already have a spellcasting class, use those rules. Otherwise, use the rules for the class whose spell you picked from. A lot of spells are on multiple class lists, so that gives you a choice how you want handle it.

Dausuul

Legend
Say my Druid picks up Hex through magic initiate. Can he use his sprig of mistletoe or does he need to grab a component pouch, a Newt eye or an arcane focus just for that one spell?
By the book, you can use the mistletoe.

The Spellcasting chapter only says that you can substitute a spellcasting focus for non-costed material components. That's all it has to say on the subject. The different types of spellcasting foci are laid out in the Equipment chapter, and the only restriction given is on the class of the user, not the class of the spell: "A druid can use [a druidic focus] as a spellcasting focus."

As I read that, a druid can use a druidic focus on any spell, including non-druidic spells. By the same token, a druid can't use an arcane focus--even on spells gained via Magic Initiate!--without taking at least one level in an arcane caster class. And a character without levels in any caster class is limited to using a component pouch.

How about racial spells?
By the book, it's the same deal. Personally, I would waive non-costly material components for racial spells.

TheSword

Legend
For me, magic initiate is about learning a way of casting a spell by dabbling in that kind of magic. So you use the method other folks casting that spell would use. Components, focus, etc.

You’ve been initiated into those types of spell casting. You haven’t adapted them to yours. That said their may be a good reason why this isn’t the case and mechanically it makes very little difference.

For racial abilities what spell were you thinking of? It may belp
to talk specifics?

I wouldn't enforce material components for for specific racial spells as more recently published races tend to explicitly say they don't require material components, and while in a very strict RAW reading this would seem to indicate that those without that proviso should have it enforced, I take it as a sign that WotC has recognized an oversight and corrected it going forward.

For magic initiate I would enforce the components (unless they took it for their own class then they can use their own focus like every other spell they choose from their class list). Also for free choice "racial spells" like the high elf choose a wizard cantrip feature.

pnewman

Adventurer
None in specific. I do know my Glaysa tiefling Rogue that knew minor illusion started the game with a piece of fleece she would pull out and use to cast it.

Why was your character permitted to start with an item not on the equipment list? Did your DM house rule it?

RAW you cant cast the spell without the component, even the component without a specific cost unless 1) your class allows you to use an item instead and you have one OR 2) you have a component belt.

If your DM is a real rules lawyer note that "A component pouch is a small, watertight leather belt pouch that has compartments to hold all the material componenets and other special items to cast your spells, except for those components that have a specific cost (as indicated in a spell's description)."

Thus the component pouch has the compartments to hold the components but nothing says that it has the components themselves. Since the components are not on the equipment list you can't just buy them either. Therefore by RAW you would have to acquire the components through adventuring and would be unable to cast spells with material components until you did so.

Horwath

Legend
I do not bother with Material spell components if they do not have a cost specified.
If you are not in jail after being strip searched or have both(or all) hands bound you are able to manipulate as spell with M components.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Unless you cast innately, you need material components for all feat and racial spells. They say if you cast innately.

That said, I feel that the purpose of non-expensive material components are the same purpose weapons have - the ability to disarm captured opponents so killing isn't the first option, the occasional scenario (captured, etc.) where the PCs don't have access to them, and taking up a hand. So I generally handwave worrying about them except in those circumstances. Yes you may have to swap out a spellcasting foci, which is just like a fighter switching from greatsword to halberd when they want reach. That makes a component pouch a better pick when you have multiple caster types - as has been true for multiclass characters since the beginning.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Why was your character permitted to start with an item not on the equipment list? Did your DM house rule it?

RAW you cant cast the spell without the component, even the component without a specific cost unless 1) your class allows you to use an item instead and you have one OR 2) you have a component belt.

If your DM is a real rules lawyer note that "A component pouch is a small, watertight leather belt pouch that has compartments to hold all the material componenets and other special items to cast your spells, except for those components that have a specific cost (as indicated in a spell's description)."

Thus the component pouch has the compartments to hold the components but nothing says that it has the components themselves. Since the components are not on the equipment list you can't just buy them either. Therefore by RAW you would have to acquire the components through adventuring and would be unable to cast spells with material components until you did so.

Just to point out the bit about material components in the section on Casting a Spell:

Material (M)

Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell.
(underline mine)

RAW here is that a caster can use a component pouch "in place of" specified components, except for those with a gp cost (and arguably, those that are specifically noted as being consumed by the casting).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases