How hard is learning a new TTRPG system?

Laurefindel

Legend
Echoing what many above have said, some systems are pretty crunchy and require a bit of learning before getting comfortable with it.

Many (most?) other systems are pretty easy to learn really, but it can take a while to get in the right mindset. Honestly, it takes a lot more time to « unlearn » a game than it take to learn one. Getting out of a paradigm is often harder than getting into a new one.

I suspect that when people say they don’t have time to learn a new system (other than, say, D&D), part of that feeling comes from them knowing that they will be stuck with D&D reflexes and habits that they know will inhibit their enjoyment of the (new) game.

Learning a new game is easy. « Getting into » a new game takes commitment, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on people. While it frustrates me sometimes, I can acknowledge and understand that some people are not ready to commit to another game while they have one they know and enjoy already.

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I mean, I think that's a lot of it. They are still enjoying playing the game, and no one has really convinced them that they should change.
True, they are just not motivated to doing it, given proper motivation, I think they would. Learning the rules is also just part of the game, there is also the setting, and it can be a sunk cost in learning the lore of one setting, then to switch to another.

eayres33

Explorer
I think a lot depends on your comfort playing a game you don't really know the rules, along with the complexity of the game.
Can I learn the basics of a game and mostly play it, yeah most games you can do that in an hour or less, maybe a session but I really wouldn't be enjoying the game because I'd be focusing on learning the system.
I don't really start enjoying a game until I have some kind of mastery in the system and am able to understand exactly how my build effects my tactics in combat, or exploration, so I can build the character mechanically that supports my vision of what the character will be for my role playing.
So for me switching systems diminishes the fun I have at the table for a month or more if it's a crunchy system and a session or two for a simpler system. That's an issue, but the biggest issue is I really like 5E, it has just about the right level of crunch for me and even other game systems I've played and enjoyed didn't really scratch the itch to the same level.

Need an easy TTRPG to learn? How about the Snakes on a Plane TTRPG???

kronovan

Adventurer
In my groups, I'm almost alway the person introing a new TTRPG and GMing it. I consider myself a good teacher and haven't had many problems with players learning the new system. My biggest problem has always been with players that have achieved high game mastery in an edition of D&D, being hesitant about a new system because they can't initially play with an equivalent level of mastery. I've had a high drop out rate with such players, with them often leaving after a few months of playing.

Usually with such players, I can only succeed at keeping them at the table if I lend them my CRB and get them to build their own PC. If they enjoy building their PC and buy the PDF and become a bit more invested in the system, the success rate is that much better. On the flip side of the coin, I've had few problems getting players who only have a novice grasp of D&D (usually learned at the table), to learn a new TTRPG.

Laurefindel

Legend
Usually with such players, I can only succeed at keeping them at the table if I lend them my CRB and get them to build their own PC. If they enjoy building their PC and buy the PDF and become a bit more invested in the system, the success rate is that much better.
This is what makes or breaks the deal for me.

I'll play along with a pre-made character for a one shot but if I'm committing to a campaign, I want to create my own character and know enough about the rules to make informed decisions. Usually, I end up purchasing the game's corebook but i like having a solid grasp of what the game is about (setting and rule-wise) before I commit to a campaign.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Honestly, it takes a lot more time to « unlearn » a game than it take to learn one. Getting out of a paradigm is often harder than getting into a new one.
Whatever do you mean?

:;Proceeds to tell the DM that he'd like to roll Perception on the door ahead and then spends an hour of real time deciding how to go through it::

Remove ads