How much Gonzo do you like in your D&D? THE POLL!

How do you like your D&D?

• I like my D&D GONZO. D&D should be like Outback Steakhouse; no rules, just right.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I like my D&D STANDARD. When people say YA BASIC, that should be a compliment.

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!

Votes: 20 24.7%

• Poll closed .

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
It all depends on the tone you want to set for the particular setting. If a setting calls for gonzo, go gonzo. If a setting calls for grit, go grit. There is (or should be) no one size fits all.

(And now I realize I need to change my vote! :) )

Edit: And now I realize I can't. :( Good thing it's not scientific!

Weiley31

Legend
220px-Gonzo_the_Great.jpg

He's in love with his OWN FAMILIAR!!!!(The chicken.)

Depends on the campaign and the players. My one campaign is pretty much vanilla D&D, while the other has gossip magazines, airships, haute cuisine, clockwork constructs as part of daily life, and more.

If I had to distill it to a sentence, I'd say that I'm up for gonzo stuff, but will eventually find myself also wanting some back-to-basics fantasy.

Weiley31

Legend
Here's my version of DND Gonzo: Forgotten Realms/Faerune, Greyhawk in another direction, Sorubin from Mist of Akuma in place of Kara-Tar, 4E Dawn War/2E/3E Great Wheel Cosmology. BOTH Dragonborn(DND) AND Dragonsworn (from World of Alessia), Pathfinder/Mist of Akuma war bavkstory explanation for Oni, Kingmaker 10th Edition for the Stolen Lands as an undiscovered country with a "MCU" style build up until it's released. And Various 2nd Edition lore for gods and classes(hello old school Druid fight club rankings.)

Oh and Eberron is somewhere on the same planet too.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It depends. I like most of the campaigns I play in to be relatively standard, but if there's a particular setting that would be a bit more gonzo and the DM/other players are enthusiastic, I'm OK with gonzo.

I like gonzo in contrast to standard normal fantasy. I like relatively normal races/classes with humans being dominant but the setting can be gonzo.

To me the existence of the familiar makes the gonzo stand out more. If the norm is everyone playing cat people or turtles or crystal people, then the odd things in the world just don't seem quite so unique to me.

My setting has science fantasy everywhere - my underworld is a semi-functional maglev train network, the druids built their henges over underground quantum reactors (which allow for teleportation), undead are the exist as a byproduct of a failed quantum experiment, one of my major NPCs in my game is a brain in a jar... etc.

But this all exists within contrast of a relatively basic fantasy setting. Mostly human, some elves and dwarves, etc... a typical 'medieval' environment. The technology is so far from the past that it has been forgotten and now considered 'magic'. The players have had tastes of this but haven't put it together, but every once in a while an orc will show up with a energy weapon (err... wand of magic missile).

As they explore, more of the world's secret ancient tech can be revealed.

Celebrim

Legend
Even with the explanation, I'm not sure I understand the question.

Being an old school sort of guy, I consider Spelljammer far more "gonzo" by the scale you seem to be using than Gamma World. Old school Gamma World is unfortunately perhaps too much like D&D, right down to dungeons with random monsters unexplained by any ecology. Likewise, I'd consider a game with gunslingers roaming around in an Old West/Medieval crossover to be far less "gonzo" by this scale than Eberron with its interwar inspired time period, PC golems, magical industrial revolution, and ubiquitous magic as technology.

I guess I'm wondering if there is any definition of "gonzo" that isn't subjective.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My supposition is that very few people would announce a preference for standard (or basic) D&D.

In other words, they like Gonzo/Crazy stuff. Or they will choose the other option (despite the instructions). ;)

On the other hand, I think that revealed preferences (how people actually play) is different. There are many times when people discuss things that are, in effect, "GONZO" and the common reaction you will get is that it doesn't belong in D&D, or that they don't want that in their fantasy, etc.

Dunno!
I think you’re exactly right here. Different people will have different standards for what constitutes gonzo, and for what is simply beyond the pale. For some folks anything truly goes, while for others a party with more than one or two non-human characters is gonzo and some of stuff the former group would consider gonzo is just plain “not D&D.” Most people will fall somewhere between those extremes. In the interest of participating with the poll on its terms I voted for “standard D&D,” because I think I sit a little closer to that side of the spectrum. But I am all for a few gonzo elements in an otherwise standard D&D game. Having a few things here and there that might clash with that standard fantasy tone can help the setting feel mysterious and strange, which is a good thing in my book.

Remove ads