• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How often do you complete a campaign as a player?

As a player (not DM) how often do you complete a campaign? The definition of complete is up to you

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Almost never. Back in the day, every game was an endlessly sprawling campaign of connected adventures, modules, and shenanigans. PCs who survived would level up, build a keep…start an adventuring guild…or whatever, and retire. In recent times, my regular group played and finished Dragon Heist. So that’s one. We started on Mad Mage with the same players and mostly the same characters, but that fizzled out. So one. In almost 40 years I’ve finished one campaign as a player.

Usually for me if TPK counts (we did play to the end of the tale!) - but I've been playing online a lot lately which is much less subject to the vicissitudes of life getting in the way.

Hussar

Legend
Yes, and if I vote "nearly never" you'll take that as data to support your speed-up-the-game position, with which I disagree.
Well, wouldn't your solution be to just... not vote? Or, since your campaigns do actually come to satisfactory conclusions by your own criteria, wouldn't you vote "almost always"? Since "conclusion" basically means, "ends in a way that is satisfying to you", and, by your own admission, nearly all the adventures you participate in as a player come to a conclusion, then, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
To be fair, this is 100% something my current DM would do.

And I would roleplay the hell out of that badger. :)
The way I do Reincarnation, your roleplaying opportunities would be highly limited: if reincarnated as an ordinary animal then that's all you are - in this case, a simple mundane badger with the brains of a badger, the temperament of a badger, the hit points of a badger, no prior skills-spells-abilities-languages from your old life, and maybe - if you're lucky - some fast-fading memories of who-what you were before.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
The way I do Reincarnation, your roleplaying opportunities would be highly limited: if reincarnated as an ordinary animal then that's all you are - in this case, a simple mundane badger with the brains of a badger, the temperament of a badger, the hit points of a badger, no prior skills-spells-abilities-languages from your old life, and maybe - if you're lucky - some fast-fading memories of who-what you were before.
I'm going to be honest, that would be a major bummer. I thought you were all about the chaos?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Never minding people like students who most certainly don’t fit this bill.
Given that I started with university students (and as one) and still play with some of those same people to this day, I gotta disagree here.
Heck most people under thirty don’t fit. Additionally, anyone in the military.
The constant bouncing around is one of many reasons I never even considered the military as a career.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm going to be honest, that would be a major bummer. I thought you were all about the chaos?
I am, and Reincarnation is a chaotic, risky spell cast most often by Clerics of chaos deities. You want the chance of coming back to life as a random creature? Here ya go....

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I am, and Reincarnation is a chaotic, risky spell cast most often by Clerics of chaos deities. You want the chance of coming back to life as a random creature? Here ya go....
But what's more chaotic than a sentient badger, running around trying to cast spells?

I generally think of Raise Dead as being for the straightlaced, "I like my character the way he is" types, and Reincarnation more for the crazy, YOLO types (of which I consider myself a member). Why would I want to punish people who use the fun, crazy spell over the boring spell?

Hussar

Legend
Given that I started with university students (and as one) and still play with some of those same people to this day, I gotta disagree here.

The constant bouncing around is one of many reasons I never even considered the military as a career.
Ok. Right there. You have lived in the same area for decades. You do realize how much of an outlier right there that makes you, don't you?

And considering one of the largest segments of gamers is the military, not designing for people who are in the military seems like a very bad idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads